1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you play slide?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Recalcitrant, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Holic

Same here, Driver. I'm a decent player overall, but never could get a feel for slide playing! I always thought George Harrison's occasional slide work was very expressive. But I'm probably not even minimally qualified to render an opinion on slide players.

Recalcitrant and driver8 like this.
  2. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I love to play slide on acoustic or Tele.
    First played slide at a jam when I was in school, 10-12 guitar players taking turns playing lead. I went to the kitchen got a drinking glass laid the guitar on my lap and gave it a go, folks liked it and I was hooked:cool:
    Been making my slides out of stainless pipe joints, and wear it on my pinky so I can fret with the free fingers. 16109069223661850586760.jpg have a cone and spyder bridge and someday build a resonates guitar;)

3. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

I've been playing and collecting instruments for days. My faves for slide right now are an old Kay archtop and a Harmony Stella 12 string, both have DeArmond pickups, but i have a bunch of others i rotate through including reso's, acoustic square necks and electric steels. 20210116_203359.jpg 20210117_091627.jpg

Recalcitrant likes this.
  4. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Great track, great singing as well as playing! Perfect music for my birthday as it was yesterday!
    Cheers

Recalcitrant likes this.
  5. richiek65

Dave Hole makes a big sound..

6. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

dobro (g), 6 string lapsteel (c6) and eight string lapsteel (a6/f#7)

The dobro isn't anything special and I built mostly built the two lap steels. The six string has a vintage vibe CC in it and the 8 string has a lollar chicago. I use various slides, but prefer ones with grips.

Recalcitrant likes this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I use standard tuning, (glass) slide on my little finger, like Elvin Bishop.
    This allows the use of my other fingers for non slide work and works well for a gigging musician who doesn't want to carry a bunch of guitars around.

Recalcitrant and dougstrum like this.
  8. richiek65

I recently discovered Lucas Haneman

Recalcitrant and bromdenlong like this.
  9. richiek65

Those girls put on a great, great show.

They've always been exceptionally good, with that clip, I think they've gotten even better! Those harmonies!

10. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

A special place in my heart always available for Bonnie Raitt

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I play slide better than I play “normal” (or whatever). The technique (and open tunings) make more sense to me.

I ain’t no Sonny Landreth or Derek Trucks, but I can hold my own and have my own style.

People seem to like it.

EDIT:
    Forgot to add...

I’m usually using a T-Bird Jones 5/8” Socket Slide, occasionally a short, thick-walled Dunlop Pyrex slide (both used on my pinky)...I love the sound of brass, but don’t like the grippy feel and drag that brass will sometimes have against the strings. I also like my slides straight-no flare.

Open G and Open D are the main tunings—capo up to other keys—but I have a few other variations I’ll use as well.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Recalcitrant and Mike Simpson like this.
  12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have been playing slide since my teens.
    What I have found is this: Keep trying different Slides until you find one that fits Your Fingers.
    That's what the Greats did.
    I have a couple of glass and a couple of Steel slides that I Can work with.

For guitars, I have an old Vega Lap Steel, a Fifteen Year old Johnston resonator and, one I made from Structural Slotted Steel Strut. I used the Vega as a template for Scale Length, string height and string spacing.

I use Flat Wound strings on it.
    My Tuning is GBDGBD low to high.

Recalcitrant likes this.
  13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And her playing :)

WingedWords likes this.
  14. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Holic

thank god my older son broke my glass an i stop trouble my self :)

Recalcitrant likes this.
  15. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Tried and tried.., could never get anywhere.............UNTIL I tried a quality 3 string version of a cigar box guitar... Now I'm doing great... Hard to put it down...open G. 16109136785395500957581487823175.jpg

Recalcitrant and bgmacaw like this.
  16. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sometimes, switch between open and standard tuning, glass slide, hi action strat.

Recalcitrant likes this.
  17. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Depending on the music you want to play Open G, D or whatever are great but if you want to retain an easy access to a variety of chords - Major, minor, dom7th and partial m7th etc.... Then Standard tuning gives far more options.

Plus, personally and for electric slide, I use glass slides with 4mm walls for 'tone' ... 2mm are OK and generally easier to maneuvere... But for tone 4mm rules :cool:

Guitar SG (Standard tning) or G&L Bluesboy semi (Open G/D tuning). Amp, these days, mainly an Orange Rocker 15 with Gain at 4 and Vol at 6-7 and Pedals = Delay or Trem/Verb to taste according to the song/piece, but no compressor on my board just Boost and/or OD.

Recalcitrant likes this.
  18. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Wonder what that TV performance is from?? Doesn't appear there is an audience there (no clapping or anything). Curious. Love it at about 6 minute is he switches to playing it lap with a metal rod of some sort.
    That is one of the things I like about slide. You can pretty easily make music, especially in an open tuning, so long as you don't press down too hard. Muting individual stings is optional even.

This winter I've decided to dedicate more time to my slide playing. I'm sloppy, but it sounds good as is fun to play. I like Open D and A, but I have a dedicated Open G guitar so for now that is where I'm at. Started revisiting Led Zeppelin's "Traveling Riverside Blues" and "In My Time of Dying" and the Stones' "Ventilator Blues". These aren't hard songs, and I love playing them.
    I invested in some Rock Slides, both in glass and brass to try out. One of the stumbling blocks for me has been how the slide fits on my fingers and how I have to curve my whole hand under the neck, so I got these (inner taper for better grip, a flat side for better grip with my next-in-line-finger, and that nice notch for the finger joint- making it easier for me at least to curl my hand under the neck).
    Just really using and exploring these slide for the first time over the weekend I am enthusiastic about my future and slide guitar!

For a RnR slide player of course Duane Almond, but I've always liked Ron Wood, especially with the Faces. George Harrison isn't anything to sneeze at too, ala Traveling Wilburys.

Recalcitrant likes this.
  19. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use Open G and D. Add a capo 2nd fret and then Open A and E. Just tuning to Open E on an acoustic worries me so I use the capo

Recalcitrant likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I practice slide almost daily. Open D, open G and Open A with some Standard tuning. I see it as a lifetime endeavor, but Son House, Bukka White and Jack White are my inspirations.

Flaneur and Recalcitrant like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.