1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you play electric in worship with or without a pick?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by CapnCrunch, Mar 2, 2021.

1. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Curious how many electric players play worship music with or without a pick. I've noticed in most contemporary worship music that the electric is very bright, and especially the delays, and shimmer are set up really bright so that those verbs and delays really stand out front and hit you over the head.

I've recently started experimenting with playing lead electric without a pick. I have to say that I'm kind of amazed at how much more dynamic the electric sounds when played with fingers. It tends to be much darker than when played with a pick, which is a very good thing to my ears. The high end also sounds much fatter when fingers are used vs. a pick. Anyway, has anyone else tried to ditch their pick?

GoldieLocks likes this.
  2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

I've been playing in a worship band for the past 6 months - no pick. I keep my nails kinda short as I like to use just my fingertips 90% of the time. I can simulate a pick by holding my thumb n index finger as if holding a pick: the nail on index finger being the pick. I use a dd/reverb and an OD into a 5e3. The only other effects I use are the knobs on the guitar to simulate cello/violin, steel. I haven't used a pick at all for @20 yrs...play classical as well so that got me used to it.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  3. Jonloder

Jonloder Tele-Meister

2mm pick and acrylic nails on my middle and ring fingers. I get some flack for the "girly nails" though.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  4. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Most of the time I use hybrid picking for arpeggios, pick and two fingers. When I play a solo though it's just the pick.

I use a Dunlop nylon, 1mm pick, unless it's a song with fast strumming. Then I use a lighter nylon pick.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  5. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Dyed in the wool flat pickier here... except when I play bass.

You can get a range of tones from picks - move up and down the string, play harder or softer, use the side of your thumb for pinch harmonics, bridge mute....

Jim W and CapnCrunch like this.
  6. CapnCrunch

I've done a lot of hybrid picking over the years, but I saw a video of Jimmie Vaughn recently in which he was playing his signature strat into what appeared to be a 5f6 bassman. I didn't realize that he doesn't use a pick. His Strat sounded so HUGE and fat. Then I thought, "Self, you're like all time favorite electric guitar player is Mark Knopfler, and he uses his finger too" lightbulb moment, maybe you should try this out. So I have been. As much as I hate change, I'm going to stick to fingers only for a while and see if it becomes permanent.

black_doug likes this.
  7. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm a huge fan of Jimmie Vaughan. You won't see a pick in Jeff Beck's hand either. Go for it!

GoldieLocks and CapnCrunch like this.
  8. CapnCrunch

I play with all parts of the pick too, but I'm finding that the tone of the guitar is just different when you do not have that initial bright pick attack that fronts the note. Take that away, and you're able to achieve even more dynamics. At least that is how it sounds to me so far. Pretty excited about learning something different. Annnnd the high end sounds so much thicker than with a pick.

mRtINY likes this.
  9. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Usually with a pick - a lot of hybrid picking where I use a pick but also use fingers 2, 3, and 4, as well.

CapnCrunch likes this.
  10. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Sometimes I use an E-bow.....

CapnCrunch likes this.
  11. CapnCrunch

You're really Phil Keaggy, aren't you?

mRtINY likes this.
  12. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Nails.
    I do keep medium tortex picks on duct tape on the stand... sometimes a song needs that pick.
    Oh... then there’s Sultans of Swing :)

CapnCrunch likes this.
  13. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been a fingerpicker for years. I sealed my fate by re-learning all the flat picking and fiddle tunes I knew without a pick.

In the church I used to lead worship in, I was almost always the only instrumentalist. About half of the time, I used my Ovation. The other half, a Tele and a Mesa Subway Rocket or my BF Champ. (Yes! You can lead solo with a Tele. It’s very liberating)

But here’s the thing about fingers vs pick ~ solo or not, in church ya gotta control yer volume! And you can actually turn up quite a lot louder if you get rid of that percussive WHACK of a pick. The softer attack makes your guitar less spiky and “devilish”. You can sort of sneak up on them.

elihu and CapnCrunch like this.
  14. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Well, last time I used the ebow in church, I played “beautiful things “ on baritone to get that cello sound....

haven’t heard Keggy do that....

CapnCrunch likes this.
  15. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Or, you can set a tweed or Vox to the edge of breakup. That tends to take the attack off a picked note....

CapnCrunch likes this.
  16. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

Do I play with or without a pick?

Yes.

studio, CapnCrunch and mRtINY like this.
  17. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Last worship gig was without a pick on a Tele.
    It was just me solo on guitar and vocals every week
    I thought, Am I ever going to bring a pick to this crowd?
    Never did, but I also play bass with a pick and a napkin
    to mute the strings.

dsc00016.jpg

PastorJay likes this.
  18. CapnCrunch

Looks like a good old P bass. Lots of early rock and hard rock songs were recorded with a P bass and a pick. I doubt they used the napkin mute though:eek:

studio likes this.
  19. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I have a pick in my hand at all times ----- but I often don't use it. It tucks in my 2nd finger.

The only thing I really need a pick for is Metallica chords and Slide guitar (I just can't play slide without a pick... been trying for 30 years.)

studio and black_doug like this.
  20. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

So, my napkin mute technique is not that farfetched!

Jim W and hotraman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.