1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you own any Boss pedals?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Richie Cunningham, Feb 16, 2021.

Do you own any Boss pedals?

1. None.

2. I have one.

3. Two.

4. Three.

5. Four.

6. Five.

7. More than five.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

i gotta try that on the Deluxe
    Many questions...
    Booster?

On the other hand, Compressors:
    BOSS seems quite good, I gotta choose that or de MXR dynacompclassic red,
    or nothing.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  2. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Again, an SD-1 boosting a JCM 800 is not going to sound anything like an SD-1 into your Blues Junior.
    The country of origin is irrelevant.

bicaster, scottser and mkdaws32 like this.
  3. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I used to. I like a good deal of them - especially the "utility" pedals like the TU-2/3, NS-1 and GE-7. I used to always have two GE-7s on my board - one for clean boost and one for tone shaping after my gain pedals. I really like their reverbs and delays (both digital and analog) and the old BF-2 Flanger, which I still wish I had. OD-3 was nice, but I find in generally I tend to like EHX drive pedals.

Since moving to an HX Effects for my modulation/reverb/delay effects, the Boss pedals I had all became redundant and I sold them off.

4. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

theres a difference in sound from the pedals so you’d have to AB both pedals into both amps

5. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I think everyone who plays probably has at least one boss pedal, they're pretty ubiquitous. I have 4; by and large they work well and are indestructible.
    rv-3 ~ does what I need, had a long time
    tr-2 ~ used it when I played with a
    drummer who liked tremolo.
    sd-1 ~ replaced my old ts-10
    md-2 ~ got it in pieces from a drummer
    when his son moved out. Awful
    sounding pedalo_O

6. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

They do the job, are easy to get and last forever....... what is there to not like?
    The DD-7 is one of my favorite delays.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  7. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

My take on it is that cable capacitance is part of our tone. Eric Johnson famously uses a ridiculously short cable, but most players have some load down. Interestingly, he could just "buffer." Lol, what does EJ know about tone?!

Then you got guys using coily cable to bring in even more capacitance.

So to each their own. Just like your pizza, how crispy do you want your tone?

8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

All this talk about Boss encouraged me to put a GE7 back on the board to help shape the Fralin P90s I put in the latest guitar build. They sound good but needed to be tweaked a little. Love the GE7. Has anyone else tried the lo-fi setting - max the middle two sliders and cut the rest? It nails the Gilmore lofi lead parts in Money and Have a Cigar.

9. RobbieAG

RobbieAG TDPRI Member

Here are mine:

CE-2
    DD-6
    SD-1
    OC-5

10. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

I have a large chip DD3 and IMO it sounds better than a non large chip DD3.
    I know Eric Johnson uses or has used a Large Chip DD3 and he heard a difference.
    So good enough for Eric Johnson then it's good enough for me.
    I think I bought mine around 1992.

sjwieczorkow likes this.
  11. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

No, I just buy cheap mooer clones. Just as well built and true bypass.

But lots of the Roland circuits are classics. I prefer their synth and drum machine work to their guitar pedal work. I’ll take their 4 pole, IR3109 low pass filters over moog ladders any day. And nobody else holds a candle to the drum machines.

They’ve always been sort of middle of the road but there’s a certain charm to that dependability.

12. Don Rich Rules

Don Rich Rules Tele-Meister

I have a DD3, CE2, and tuner pedal. I put the CE2 in my pedalboard for certain gigs.
    The CE2 has a certain sound that I prefer for disco and 80s kinda gigs.
    I never use the tuner pedal. When direct sunlight or under certain stage lights it becomez useless. The lighting can make it look like every L.E.D. is on at the same time.
    So I have a Boss TU12 that I put on the "tuner out" on my Ernie ball volume pedal. The TU12 has a meter on it so I can always see whats going on. I'm neurotic about staying in tune!

middy likes this.
  13. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

No...but I really want an Angry Driver for some inexplicable reason.

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  14. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have 3 Boss Pedals:

TR-2
    DS-1
    RC-10r

I pretty much think the classic Boss enclosure is the superior design. They never break, you don't have to take the pedal off a board to change a battery or take it out, etc.. Seeing as I only started playing in 2015 all the pedals I have bought are relatively modern. I have never seen a buffered pedal that "sucked tone" but have seen plenty of instances of true bypass pedals causing capacitance issues and loss of high end. I don't have any hearing damage. With a bright guitar I can hear the effect of a single true bypass pedal vs a single buffered pedal with 10ft of cable between guitar + pedal and another 10ft between the pedal and the amp. Never seen a true bypass pedal in that setup that didn't sound like a significant rolloff of the tone knob. If I want the tone rolled off I'll roll it off.

When I first started playing I fell susceptible to the whole "Boss sucks" thing I guess but as I tried them I changed my mind, as they have never once let me down.

My personal anecdotal experience is boutique true bypass stuff made by guys who sneer at Boss breaking and Boss stuff never breaking and having flawless QC. All the boutique stuff I've had break has gotten fixed under warranty so far but it's still a PITA compared to stuff that just doesn't break.

15. HesNot

HesNot TDPRI Member

I currently have 4 - 3 of which are on my board!

CE-2 - this was the second pedal I ever bought back in the late 80s when I traded my JC50 for a Twin Reverb and wanted that Roland chorus. It was a mid 80s MIJ I got used. Still sounds great today but it's not on the board in favor of:

MD-500. This replaced my CE2 and of course adds trem, vibrato, flanger, phaser, Dimension D etc... just a great modulation pedal.

DD-500. I had two other delays on the board and the DD500 does all they did and a whole lot more.

ES-8. I also have an H9 on the board - the switching and midi options of the ES8 are powerful and useful.

At some point after I got the DD500 I somewhat committed to the Boss ecosphere for digital stuff - I've owned a few Line 6 products and at some point learning more UIs became tiresome. Some hate the Boss UI but it makes sense to me in a way that Line 6 in particular, doesn't.

They are also just very well built and they've done it long enough that they get the important details right - and all sound/function flawlessly

16. cwhuntersr

cwhuntersr TDPRI Member

AM GE-7 - need so many more of these - it's my favorite overdrive/boost/eq
    MA CS-3 - been on the board since purchased day one, but modified heavily with Monte Allums kit
    DD-7
    MA BD-2 - MA H20 mod kit installed, been on the board since day one, but a love/hate relationship
    CE-2w - It has 1 sound that I really really like
    RC-3 - Great for practice, that's about it
    MA MT-2 - Good sounds, just not great sounds even with the mod

17. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

Zero Boss pedals, sold all of mine.

Only use a few pedals for several years, 2 * TC-E Spark Boost, TC-E HOF and a EHX Holy Grail

18. Bluzemaker

Bluzemaker NEW MEMBER!

I have a complete boss pedalboard for a specific guitar I use, tuner,distortion,blues driver, chorus and reverb pedals voodoo labs power Nashville Custom case prdalboard. Good fly rig super dependable

Old Plank and tce63 like this.
  19. stylemessiah

stylemessiah TDPRI Member

I let people overpay for Boss pedals, just like i do for Strymon ones

Id rather spend my money on proper pedals like Keeley etc

tce63 likes this.
  20. danzigdan

danzigdan TDPRI Member

I have an old OD-1 and a black DS-1 I bought at a guitar show for $30. Also a Taiwan-made HM-2 I bought for $15 two years ago. I’ve fallen in love with that because with the amount of EQ on that you can almost make it do anything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.