1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you own any Boss pedals?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Richie Cunningham, Feb 16, 2021.

Do you own any Boss pedals?

1. None.

2. I have one.

3. Two.

4. Three.

5. Four.

6. Five.

7. More than five.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I have the same small 3-pedal Boss board ( 20+years now) with the same Boss pedals:

Tuner ( Power OUT/ daisy chain to other pedals +2 spare connectors) >Chorus Ensemble OR Tremolo I pick 1 as needed> DD-3 Delay

* I bought all of these as I must have liked the first Boss I bought, they were affordable, sounded good. No interest in changing, still!

In front of the Boss board ( first) I plug into either a Boss Blues Driver or several other OD's ( not Boss)

I never use more than 5 pedals, usually 4:
    OD+ little Boss board - I use one 1-Spot that plugs into Tuner and power strip.

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

TU-2 - It actually ha a good line buffer in it.

Octave pedal - Only good below the 12th fret. After that it gets lost.

7 band EQ - One of the few that have a master volume control.
    I find this pedal very useful for gigging when I bring two guitars.
    I leave it off when playing "louder" guitar, and then set it for a nice EQ'd Boost when playing my Tele that has a lower output. BANG! Plug and play!
    Best solution I've ever found for getting great, balanced sound from two guitars at the tap of a switch at a live performance.

3. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

The poll should be how many I want, not how many I have!

I love Boss compact pedals, they're reliable little tanks and most of them sound great!

What I currently own...

BF-2 Flanger
    TR-2 Tremelo
    DD-3 Delay
    CH-1 Chorus

I'm not crazy about the CH-1, but I absolutely love the BF-2, DD-3 and TR-2. The only way I'd get rid of the DD-3 is if I decide to replace it with the DD-3T because I like the idea of having tap tempo. I also have some old Boss multi FX pedal but it stays in a drawer.

Ones I use to own...

PH-2 Phaser
    PH-3 Phaser
    AW-3 Auto Wah
    DS-1 Distortion

Funny story about the DS-1. It might have been my first pedal purchase, I can't remember exactly. I was in middle school at the time, and my brother was in high school. A classmate of my brother was selling a DS-1 with a 20' cable for $20 if I remember correctly. So I had my brother buy it from him. He comes home from school with it and we plug it in and it made all sorts of weird noises and didn't appear to work correctly. A classmate of mine was the younger sister of the classmate my brother bought the pedal from. I told her about it at school the next day and she says, "Oh, he had that thing in a million pieces on his bedroom floor." I told my brother that and he promptly got my money back for it. So I guess it's true, EVERYONE has owned a DS-1 at some point. I just never got to use mine LOL.

The PH-2 and PH-3 I just posted a story about in another thread. Although I prefer the sound of the Phase 90, I really don't dislike the Boss phasers. I would have kept one, but they gave me the strangest problems. I first got a used PH-2. It worked correctly when used by itself, but when I had it in the chain with all my other pedals it had an odd problem. The sweep/whoosh (whatever you wanna call it) would go up and STAY UP for a few seconds before coming back down. I sold it and ended up getting a PH-3. Again, I rather liked the PH-3 and it worked fine by itself but gave me issues when plugged into the chain. The mode selection knob didn't work correctly, the selection was one off from what it was suppose to be and two of the settings were selecting the same mode. So it made one mode un-selectable. My only guess is that due to the digital nature of these pedals, somehow the combination of pedals that I have on my board sends a signal to the phaser that just messes up the digital circuit.

The AW-3 I got when my local Guitar Center broke down their Boss demo station and sold all the pedals off for cheap. It was fun to mess around with for a while but it's just not something that I would typical use so I ended up trading it.

Ones that I really want to get...

BD-2 Blues Driver - About 20 years ago I demoed one in a store for a while and loved it. I always wanted to get one, but it was never at the top of my pedal list. I'm thinking about getting the BD-2w soon.

CH-2w - I'd really like to get this one, but it's too expensive. I love that it's not only a dead-on recreation of the CE-2, but also has the CE-1 mode and a vibrato mode. But given the cost, I think I'm gonna build a CE-2 clone instead.

Lots More! I'd love to get a lot more Boss pedals, but often they're just too expensive. I don't mind going used, but the more popular Boss pedals aren't much cheaper used versus new.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I only have two now and only use one of them sparingly. The LS-2 is kept in a box just in case I need a switchblade in the future. The other is the FS-5U footswitch that I use with my Tascam CD player when learning a cover song. I really like their robust design, but frankly, I think their effects have been long surpassed by much better pedals being built during this golden era of pedals.

Tele-beeb and Richie Cunningham like this.
  5. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Afflicted

Strange selection here...
    TU-15
    SD-1
    FBM-1
    ...MicroBR (ministudio 4 tracks & drum tracks & FX included)

6. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

Maybe, if you're happy to pay double the price.

bicaster and Obsessed like this.
  7. BuddyDog

BuddyDog TDPRI Member

CE-2 (MIJ black), FRV-1, TR-2, RC-500

8. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

Oh, I forgot... I use to own a MIJ BF-2 with the black knobs. I bought it after I got a Taiwan BF-2 because people were claiming that it sounded so much better. Well, it definitely sounds different but I wouldn't say it's better or worse. I ended up selling the Japan BF-2 and keeping the Taiwan one because that's what sounds "right" to me.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not challenging your opinion or your experience. They are yours (of course). Can you elaborate? Surpassed how? Better how?

My own experience is the opposite. I started this whole guitar thing after Keeley and others were modding Boss pedals and making their own stuff. So I started with modded Boss and other boutique. I've hated and sold every modded Boss pedal (except the Galaxie BD2, which I should have kept, dammit) and every "boutique" pedal I ever bought. Too much bass. Higher noise floor. Tuned for home, not stage.

Replaced by . . . Boss. The occasional MXR or Ibanez or DOD. But I like the form factor of Boss best for stomping on them reliably on stage. And the Boss stuff always sounds best to me in a mix (and even at home, TBH).

YMMV of course.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  10. Obsessed

I relied on my LS-2 as the only pedal I needed to hit on stage and nothing better for a target, but their effects are very outdated. Perhaps if you are going after a specific era (mainly because the options back then were very limited) they are probably the perfect match, but if you are looking for great basic effects, the selection these days are far superior IMO, not to mention the problems of stacking their buffers. I get their attraction, because I started out primarily with Boss pedals, but two decades of effect evolution has left them behind ... in the dust bin. Okay, playing in a sleazy noisy honky tonk and afraid of someone swiping your pedalboard during a beer break, fine, no one is gonna complain about your Boss effects and you can definitely beat the crap out of them and they will keep on working. They are tanks in that respect.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I guess I still don't understand what you mean by better or superior? What is superior? Sound? Features?

I play original music. No era involved. Boss simply sound and work better for me onstage.

Again, no skin off my back. I'm literally just trying to understand.

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Had to go look at my pedalboard. I've got two but they've been relegated to the box of unused pedals in the closet for many years now. That's not a sign of quality.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  13. PastorJay

PastorJay Friend of Leo's

I have six, but only two that I've used in the last several years.

I use the Auto Wah when I might otherwise use a wah wah pedal, because I can't run a wah wah and sing at the same time. If I used this effect more often I'd replace it with some new version of the Mutron III.

I use the Boss trem pedal when I'm playing through an amp that doesn't have trem.

I haven't used the octave divider, either of the delays that I've got, or the flanger for years. But I haven't sold them because, well, you never know ...

Tele-beeb likes this.
  14. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

If you came up as a guitarist any time after 1980 or so, you most likely owned at least one piece of gear made by three manufacturers: Ibanez, Peavey, and Boss.

There's a reason why Boss pedals find their way on to pretty much everyone's board...they're consistent, easily available, and indestructible.

Most sound okay right out of the box, but can easily compete with any of the hand-built boutique s**t with a bit of tweaking.

I have a BD-2 and a DS-1..both modded.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Tele-beeb likes this.
  15. Telewielder

Telewielder Tele-Meister

I proudly own over 20 Boss pedals, some of which are fairly old and sought after. I have some of those BCB-030 cases and one BCB-6, which I put together last year. Got a Slicer in the mail. Can't wait!

16. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I whittled my board down to minimal. I've been through every boutique pedal out there and I just love the waza pedals. I have a DM-2w, CE-2w and a BD-2w. And infront of that I have a kingsley Page and a CAli76CD

middy likes this.
  17. Obsessed

Good question and I suppose I need to define such a statement. I look at reverb, delay, tremolo, compression and even the tuner (probably more effects too). All have surpassed Boss' interpretation by many pedal companies in quality of representation or studio quality. Anyway, that is my sense of the pedal industry. With respect, no skin off my back if you don't agree, because I am just using my ears to judge ... which in all fairness, is just my subjective opinion.

18. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

bicaster likes this.
  19. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Stuff that works. I have some more recent pedals and some less so.

I got 4 Boss pedals; each one does pretty much what it was designed to do.
    TR-2, DD-3, SD-1, and the RV-6.

To my ears, the Sd-1 sounds better out of my Princeton than it does with my Tremolux, I don’t know why.

There are certainly more pedals out there that offer more knobs, options and switches inside or on top of the box, with many different sounds to be had.
    Whether that difference is more useful to a person is just an opinion.
    “Dated” says the player of old timey blues? Yes, my esteemed colleague, @Obsessed, I’m tilting my head sideways at that. I think we both have an appreciation for the CB 5f6?
    I’d like some varnish with that, please.

any rate, you hear what you hear, but Boss pedals work and work well. I’ve had zero mechanical failures. I have 2 of the tuner pedals as well.

Obsessed likes this.
  20. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

But you won't have trails if you don't turn on the buffer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.