1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you own a Les Paul knockoff?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Recalcitrant, Dec 8, 2020.

1. KennyWTelejazz

KennyWTelejazz Tele-Meister

OK I see we have a Guild in the House ...

The Guild guitar that I'm showing here was given to me as a gift from Mark Dronge in 1985/86

At that time Mark was the President of Guild Guitars

My guitar is a pro-type of a model Guild was designing called The Eliot Easton / Brian Setzer Blues Bird

I Love This Guitar ...

Guild Blues Bird.jpg Guitar in Casejpg.jpg Guild Headstock.jpg

Here's what she sounds like .I used her on a recent song for all my guitar parts except for the twang ...The twang guitar is one of my Tele's

Here's Brian back in the day playing his ...also , I heard Earl Slick has one ...

[​IMG]

In addition to my Guild Blues Bird I also have a DeArmond M75 T that I love ...
    I have to track down my pics of that guitar or take some new pics .

all the best
    Kenny

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    Recalcitrant likes this.
  2. jayhawknavy02

jayhawknavy02 TDPRI Member

Picked up at solid mahogany Carvin CT3M Carved Top model with Tune-O-Matic bridge for about $450 locally used, sounds great. The H22 Holdsworth neck is very close to a hot PAF sound, almost like a Seymour Duncan 59 SH-1N, but the bridge needs some work, its not bad, but I'll probably replace it for something less high output and more vintage sounding. Guitar does need a new 3 way switch, input jack cover plate, pickup ring/bezels replaced, and the push/pull tone pot either cleaned or replaced, otherwise pretty clean except for some minor paint damage on the bottom of the lower horn. All the parts will run me about $50. Nut and the stainless steel fret work is impeccable and there's no wear.

I'm think about the Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom, Suhr Thornbucker or Seymour Duncan JB-5 for the bridge for the "PAF" sound. Thoughts? Once I get the pickups sorted it will be interesting to see how close this gets give the set neck, and it being "close" to the Gibson scale at 25"

The only downside is my Son has commandeered my new toy for himself to replace his Ibanez. He loves the shorter scale and feel. Oh well.

[​IMG]

Alex_C likes this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I had a Kahler tremolo like that on a Strat back in the day, loved it.

Nice guitar you got there too.

4. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Looks like a great buy! I do have the Holdsworth pickups on another Carvin and like them a lot. Your Seymour Duncan pickup choices sound good. My favorite Seymour Duncan pickups are an Alnico 2 Pro in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.

My Kiesel (Carvin) Holdsworth
    20210106_122424.jpg

Alex_C likes this.
  5. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Just today got one of the recent Epiphone 'Inspired by Gibson' 50s standard Gold tops. Used but mint.
    Still in the honeymoon period but pretty sure it's a complete beast! Decent sized neck, decent sounding pickups, CTS pots, and a real looker.
    On this one I don't even mind the weird veneer they insist on putting on the back. I still don't understand why they do that on all of them, as far as I can make out this is a 3 piece body and I would rather just see it in all its glory. But anyway, I digress. Lots of guitar for the money.
    Please excuse the state of my sons room and my non existent photography skills

Attached Files:

6. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

Wolf/ AIO LP style goldtop

[​IMG]

brookdalebill and Alex_C like this.
  7. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

I pulled the trigger on a Ibanez AR-150. Looking forward to a LP scale length guitar.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Here’s my other knockoff
    It’s a Larrivee RS4.
    It sounds great, is long scale (25 1/2 inch), and stays in tune well. 0D8964E8-49CB-4CDD-AACD-AA8856128127.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    JukeJointJunkie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.