1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you over or under pack for your gigs?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by screamin eagle, Apr 27, 2018.

1. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I usually bring 2 guitars and 1 amp, but I also bring back up tubes, back up cables, back up power chords, extra string sets and always have a pocket full of picks. I also keep a multi-screwdriver, flash light and wire cutter in the bag. I've broken strings and had to use the flashlight, but never more than that. Sometimes I wonder if I bring too much. One of these days I might just buy a Quilter 101 reverb and just use that as a backup amp and not bring the extra tubes and amp-wares. I can still make it from the car in 1 trip. That is sorta important to me.

How 'bout you? Do you just bring the things that get used, or do you bring along the backup supplies?

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I play out a lot. I almost never bring a backup guitar anymore. Pack of strings. Extra cable in the car. I don't use tube amps anymore so no more sweating extra tubes. I keep a Tech 21 British in my trunk in case of amp failure. In hundreds of shows I've needed it once.

haggardfan1, Jakedog and nojazzhere like this.
  3. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Holic

I have to admit that I am grossly unprepared at gigs. I am super forgetful by nature, so there is always the possibility that I will show up missing something. Like that one time that I showed up with no guitar to a gig 3 hours away :).

Mike SS, Gene O. and Jakedog like this.
  4. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I always assume nothing about everything, so two amps, two guitars, extra cables, etc. Did one gig where the amp died in the 1st song, another where the pickup switch went south, so you never know...

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'm in the "Boy Scout" frame of mind...."Be Prepared". I always have extra strings, cables, picks, etc. Usually a back-up guitar....don't want "down"time for changing strings. Back-up amp, just in case. Spare microphone, flashlights, tools. Only thing I DON'T carry is extra mike stand....still using one I got in 1969. ;)

tery, brokenbones and Mugs like this.
  6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

What I do is called "bringing too much Kit" until someone needs something that I have with me then I am thanked for being prepared. This happens every time.

Yes I was a boy scout.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I overpack - two guitars (I only play one, the other sits there as a backup), two capos, two tuners, a zillion cables, several sets of strings... one amp, but I also have a Joyo AC Tone amp simulator as a backup (which I have had to use once).

(Unfortunately, I have also learned that I need to keep an extra set of drum sticks...)

tery and nosuch like this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've brought useless stuff like extra strings, fuses and probably tubes before, it's been more than a decade since I gigged though.

9. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

probably used to be overpack but these days, I leave a lot of stuff I think I MIGHT need in the trunk.

Stuff I absolutely do need, goes into the club. I can carry it all, amp included, one trip from the car. That may be my finest achievement in my entire career.

Fearnot and kookaburra like this.
  10. Airguitar

Airguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm always looking at ways to take less to the gig. 2 guitars, Start and Tele (I play them both) plus an acoustic (Play that too), Fender Mustang Floor pedal into the PA for one man gigs. or a Pedalboard and Amp for gigging with the band.
    Spare strings, capos, cables, mic and odds and ends. It all fits in my Compact BMW.

11. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Over..always. Always 2 gtrs, 1 amp but a Quilter 101 in the gig bag...extra power supply for effects board. Always a direct box, spare mic, spare patch cable, spare gtr cord...small tool kit...

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I way overpack!
    I always have 2 (electric) guitars, 2 elecric guitar amps, a bass amp and an acoustic amp in the car.
    I also have about 4 mics, 4 guitar cables, mic cables, 2 stands, 1 guitar stand, clips, strings etc.
    I don’t want nuthin’ shuttin’ down my gig, dern it!
    I prepare for other bandmate’s problems.
    It has paid off many times.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    SecretSquirrel, Mike SS, tery and 4 others like this.
  13. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This^^^ I was the band “leader” so I always had extra of everything down to batteries for my flash light. I never once said I’d wished I didn’t bring so much.

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I overpack just a bit.

Stuff like extra wireless batteries and penlights and a couple multi-tools and strings and bags of picks....none of that is overpacking. You have to have that stuff.

I always have a single coil guitar and a humbucker guitar which also means that I always have a spare guitar ready on a stand. I often have a 12 string acoustic. These are cover band necessities. Guitar amp, acoustic amp are necessary but I always bring a Pro Junior (they're mean but tiny!) and hide it behind my guitar amp. I'm not sure if the Pro Junior is necessary or not.

The stuff that I worry about and overpack are electric cords and power strips and extra XLR's. I have a fat road brief case covered with 90's grey amp fabric (big and old and indestructible) and it's loaded with cables. I've worked too many gigs in WI country biker bars that have no electrical outlets around the stage but there are 12 or 16 outlets down the nearby hall that leads to a bathroom. I've been in places where there are two outlets on the stage and 16 outlets on one side of the dance floor because "that's where the wedding DJ's set up". I have a paranoia that calls for extra about 300' of assorted cable.

It gets weird. CYA.

15. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Two guitars, an amp, pedals and cords. Maybe a small fan if I remember... I don't need it, but I feel better when I have one.

I haven't used the backup guitar in ages, but the night I leave it home is the night I'll need it. I just know it.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

It depends on whose car we're riding in and how much room there is. Most of the time, I just bring enough gear to cover the gig. So far so good!

Jakedog likes this.
  17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Anything paying or public gets loads of spares - two guitars, main amp and a boss GT or other direct to board option in case of major amp failure. Big case of leads and guitar and amp repair / maintenance stuff.

Bass requests just get one through neck bass guitar with just spare strings and one old SS amp though. I can DI plug into the desk if issues.

18. TBOT

TBOT TDPRI Member

The older I get, the more worried about backups I become and the more stuff I bring.
    And yet, I remember my younger days...I once did a club tour of the Midwest and West Coast, playing 18 out of 20 nights...with one guitar, one amp, one cable and one strap.
    Not a single problem.
    And my guitar was in a damned gig bag for the whole tour.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Mike SS, Jakedog and coloradojeff like this.
  19. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

OVER- I could fully supply any super group. I've never had to use a bit of it....but you never know... :)

20. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

I have a Quilter 101 (non-reverb) for sale...:twisted: When it comes to packing up before a show, I take the boy scout approach. Be prepared. On top of backup guitars and amps I take a backup for literally everything. I also bring a small tool box with the oddball stuff; a few tools, wd40, outlet tester, etc. It's overkill but it's also fun in those rare instances to be a "lifesaver".

Jimclarke100 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.