Do you need to be told what to do every freakin' day?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Nov 27, 2018.

1. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Playing ... 'Pin the tail on the donkey' ?

Chunkocaster and Toto'sDad like this.
  2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dude got clocked straight in the head, looks like.

That'll leave a horsehoe mark.

- D

tery likes this.
  3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Horse : 1
    Dude : 0

StrangerNY likes this.
  4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Didn't read the responses, but it's a matter of branding. Branding makes you familiar with spending money, whether it's on an item, or a need to give. It creates a notion of a group.

I sound like a selfish jerk when I say this (I live a pretty good life), but I'm getting weary of charities that I give to always seeing that as an invitation to guilt me and ask for more.

I never respond to any of those solicitations, but when I see them, I remember "wait, is this one of the U-way charities that I have something directed to already?". Gimmicks, etc, wear me out. The "matching donation" scheme that someone has given money, but it won't be given in the end unless you and another guilty group put forth your dollars to "match" it. Hocum. The matching sponsor is just being used as a hook.

It won't stop me from giving what I've given in the past, but it also won't encourage me to give more. All of that canvassing probably results in increased donations, but it costs money, and that money doesn't go to the charity. The same as the united way drives - it extracts dollars, often as a semi-mandatory thing at work, but it siphons money away from the ultimate charity getting the money in the end.

Everything is branded now. Even winter storms. The weather sites can draw more views if they give winter storms fake names. Though I'm online rifling through the guitar stuff, I have begun to disconnect for everything else. I read books that I get from the library for free and try to take my kids to community events that are free instead of feeding the system. I try to donate anonymously if I can, because I read somewhere once that it's the way to go (you guys know what I'm talking about - it makes me cringe to even mention that a little on here). With analytics, even if you give anonymously now, if you use paypal or credit card, it can be traced back to you and you will be hounded for more.

Reminds me of a norm Macdonald story. I guess as far as celebs go, he doesn't have that much money and doesn't want for too much. He won half a million on who wants to be a millionaire, and donated it to one of Paul Newman's charities. He said he just didn't really know where to donate it and chose that. A short time down the road, he received an invitation to go to Newman's house or business or some kind of exclusive personal thing. He thought maybe they were going to do something nice since he dumped half a mil on them without any doing on their part. Instead, he went (or didn't go and was contacted later) to find that they were hoping to do a money grab and get more out of him.

Many of the charities have become businesses.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  5. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Related - seems like I never heard of "First Friday" events (or less commonly, "Last Friday") until a few years ago. Now they seem to be popping up everywhere. It doesn't bug me, I just find it curious.

rcole_sooner likes this.
  6. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sollipsist likes this.
  7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m saving it all for bite me Wednesday.

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

If we stop spending our money on stuff, the world-wide economy will collapse and entire nations will be thrown into chaos. Huge unemployment, people rioting, cats and dogs living together! Mass hysteria!

jackinjax and 8barlouie like this.
  9. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

You are no more a citizen, you are a consumer.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Well, it's that fantastic capitalistic market-driven world that we all enjoy so much. The idea is to commercialize and monetize everything. It's supposed to be a good thing. Or so we're told.

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have strong filters and ignore so much of that stuff.

I think "Black Friday" is a creepy term.

BopT likes this.
  12. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Used to be, "Black Friday" was a bad thing, like a stock market crash or something. Just more cognitive dissonance, I guess.

13. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, there are homeless folks, kids suffering with all sorts of cancers, fire victims, human trafficking, etc., - and often charities & non-profits are the service providers for all these people. So, yeah it wears on us to to be hit up constantly for $, but no one wants to trade places with those in real need...
    Tough it out. Give a few bucks. Play your Tele.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I think "black" is for "black ink". The day when businesses go from red ink to black ink.

Tony474 and cactusrob like this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's Elon Musk turned a profit Tuesday, buy Tesla stock!

16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I walked away from being a born, raised, trained and documented professional consumer.

Are you @soulgeezer still in that grind of a routine? Please tell me you are not still watching TV? Still watching Football are ya? Just quit being one of the sheep.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    cactusrob and telemnemonics like this.
  17. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

Man I have not heard that word in the longest time so let's have a Patooty Day

Nickadermis likes this.
  18. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Like TV. Hate football. Crass, superficial consumerism makes me nauseated. My Utopia is a world without money or greed. I have enough and I don't understand people who always need more. Hence, not a sheep, but rather a cynical, grumpy old man. Now...

Get off my lawn!

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

You still have a lawn? No wonder you are so grumpy.;) Buy a new rake, fix the lawnmower. Blow out the sprinkler system, pick up the neighbor's doggie poop. :lol:

kuvash likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Imagine!

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.