do you mind scratches on your guitar and wearing maple fretboards in?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by ben smith, Sep 29, 2019.

1. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

this might be a redundant question but i hate dinging a new guitar and i don't like wearing on maple fretboards much either. i play my new thinline constantly, everyday i'm banging away on this thing! i'm already scratching up the board good with my fingernails and big calluses and i'm also a clumsy sod so i ding it on stuff from time to time. i know it can't be helped but make me feel better about it please haha

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

One answer is to buy used. That way, that first ding is there already. I’ve added a few more dings to mine along the way and don’t think much about it. I have a maple board on my Strat and so far I see a little fret wear but nothing on the board. The only way a guitar doesn’t eventually show wear is if it’s never played. If what’s bothering you affects playability, fix it. Otherwise it’s just normal wear and aging.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    Wildcard_35, Skydog1010 and ben smith like this.
  3. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

The short answer is, I used to but now I don't. I like pristine guitars but scratches, dings and wear are inevitable. I'd rather be out playing a beat up guitar than have a flawless guitar locked away in a glass case, wouldn't you?

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

No, I don't "like" dings on a guitar. I am very careful to treat an instrument with care and respect. However, wear happens, and I don't get bent out of shape about it. Honest wear and "relic-ing" happens when a guitar is played and used. We play guitars differently from how fine violins or woodwinds are played, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be careful. No guitar I've ever owned looked like SRV's or Rory Gallagher's......maybe I'm not doing it right? :)

5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Your fingernails are doing the major damage. But, keeping your hands clean helps a lot with maple boards.
    And, I don't like dinging the guitar either, but stuff happens. I do have 30 yearr old guitars that are still mint, but that's a little unusual for most people.

Luthi3rz, nojazzhere and ben smith like this.
  6. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

still mint after thirty years? and i thought i was O.C.D

7. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Crap I just started a thread about this before reading yours
    In that thread I mention a Les Paul I bought new in 2006 that took me about 10 years to really start playing

ben smith likes this.
  8. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Hell no

ben smith likes this.
  9. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

haha

10. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I made a thread about this recently..
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/how-o...in-the-way-of-playing-keeping-guitars.978130/

In all honesty, I am bugged by dings, scratches and aesthetic flaws/issues on ANY guitar.. there are some I can live with, some I cant.. however, when I was able to get my holy grail, an AVRI62, I didnt mind the scratches and bumps and all, because its my holy grail, and I can never afford it let alone, they're harder to find in my side of the world, I cant be choosy..

I guess my point is, I know guitars are meant to be used, and they WILL have scratches and bumps from constant use.. but I like to treat the things I own with respect and care.. When I was young, I couldnt afford new guitars, my parents cant afford to buy even the most decent entry level and I learned on really bad chinese quality guitars back in the 90's.. but I learned to take care of my things because if it breaks I wont be able to afford another one.. I have learned to take care of my things.. so now that Im my own man, and I can afford anything I want, I carry that same attitude of caring and respecting what Im passionate about.

now I wouldnt mind getting an affinity because we are at the golden age of guitar making, but that doesnt mean I'll trash it if its cheap.. I treat all my guitars, cheap or expensive, the same way..

I think about it this way, On things I own, I want to have an attitude of gratitude instead of ownership..

11. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister

Dings and scratches in my guitars generally bother me, but a few months back my 4 year old granddaughter accidentally knocked over my Tele and put a a couple of good sized dents in the body. I thought about trying to repair it but then I thought an imperfect repair would bother me even more. So I left it alone and now I get to think about my beautiful granddaughter every time I pick it up to play.

12. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

oh sorry man i didn't catch that one! maybe ill rephrase the question, can you love a guitar too much?

13. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Nope, I don't baby my guitars. I don't mistreat them either. They are going to have some scratches, dings, etc. No window displays or showroom equipment here.

14. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

Dings and scratches in my guitars generally bother me, but a few months back my 4 year old granddaughter accidentally knocked over my Tele and put a a couple of good sized dents in the body. I thought about trying to repair it but then I thought an imperfect repair would bother me even more. So I left it alone and now I get to think about my beautiful granddaughter every time I pick it up to play.[/QUOTE]
    that is very nice man! they are dents of love...

Wildcard_35 and Fretting out like this.
  15. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

ok ill plug her in and play until the sun come up again. by the way i just bought a new lead for the first time in ten years and my guitar doesn't buzz at all? now that isn't normal for single coils. and i have to admit i have stopped sleeping in the same bed as my girlfriend and share a bed with a thinline now, is that wrong?

Piggy Stu and Fretting out like this.
  16. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

No man, thats okay..

I think I'm really passionate about guitars in general.. but Im like this even with cameras, shoes, watches, car, pretty much everything I own.. I still have my old pair of Nikes, 8 years old, soles are still okay, clean as ever, except some yellowing on white colored areas.. I still have chucks that have been washed and taken care of for 4 years.. (i know chucks and clean shouldnt go together, but I like them clean than trashed!)..

It really depends on how you look at things.. I love to play a guitar that has been taken care of.. dings and scratches while owning it for some years are okay with me.. they're my dings and scratches, however if Im buying, id like it to be mint or near new, if not, at least closet classic condition, used but loved..

Wildcard_35 and ben smith like this.
  17. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Thats great ! :)

Plus you can tease her when she's older, a nice bit of history for you both to have fun with. Of course you are now stuck with that guitar on the never able to sell list.

If i buy a used guitar I dont mind the odd ding, I like relic guitars (Mild not dirty relics, they are gross :) ) because the pressure to not ding or dent s totally taken away. Infact the opposite, I tend to be secretly glad to put my own marks on....

BUT dinging a mint guitar is a bummer. Especially when it is from foolishnes or clumsiness.....a Grandaughter has some nostalgia, being reminded you were a dumbass everytime you pick it up ...not so much.

18. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Naaaa. It used to bother me, but not anymore. I bought them to play them,it’s gonna happen. I do still cringe though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don’t mind anything that happens “naturally”. I like buying new, pristine guitars, but I don’t dread that first ding. Actually, I quite like natural wear - like the guitar has a few stories to tell - but I have never been a fan of “relicing” a new guitar.

I also don’t mind natural flaws in wood. I have two natural ash guitars and a 2-tone burst that have natural flaws. For example:

upload_2019-9-29_21-37-19.jpeg

And this is the fingerboard of the âme guitar. There must have been a flaw in the finish, as it absorbed finger oil in this spot after only a few years (it’s a 2004). I absolutely love this “flaw”:
    upload_2019-9-29_21-39-23.jpeg

ben smith likes this.
  20. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

maybe ill start another thread, are guitarist more inclined to be have obsessive compulsions? i really think so actually, tweaking our amps for that perfect sound all the time must bring it on? haha vintage nikes sweet! i got a pare of 90's doc martens

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.