1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you look for the fire exits when in large buildings?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Post Toastie, Jan 2, 2016.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's only prudent to know these things about any building you're in, especially if you have children. I fly enough that I know the emergency doors of all commercial planes as well.

As far as high rise buildings? I don't like being three stories up. I prefer to be higher. When the SHTF I want there to be enough altitude that the jump doesn't just veg me.

2. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

I don't really go into too many large buildings.

3. Halo

Halo Tele-Meister

I'm usually aware of fire exits, extinguishers and AED's in buildings. I needed to take a course on using them, as well as evacuation and first aid when I got my current job. Such a course really makes you aware of many things, and you learn a lot of skills you hope you never have to use for the length of your life.

I need to Google how to translate "Bedrijfshulpverlener" to english, but I'm a little lazy now [emoji6]

4. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

emergency response officer

5. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I may be hyper vigilant, but I always try to face the door, never ever sit with my back to the door or even the room, and make note of every variable on my way in- who looks sketchy, what kind of people are there, whether any of them look like ne'er do wells, where all the exits are, if there are windows, are they open or closed, and if they're closed are they the type that are made to be opened or a single pane of glass.

I also check out the room for cover, and my mind goes through the active shooter scenario- where would he be, what would I do, is this table solid enough to flip over and take cover behind, (when I had a carry license) could I return fire easily from the cover available. Basic situational awareness, I guess.

Never been a member of any service, and not a mall ninja or anything, but I've been in enough bad situations and lived in neighborhoods that were not always the most secure and I've had to draw my piece a couple more times to stop something from happening than I care to remember, or get into here. Also looked down the wrong end of a gun more times than I care to remember, or get into other than to say I was able to not take a bullet, never even had to dodge one.

6. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

I dont even tnink about it, if its my time its my time

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jeez, man, where do you LIVE? And why do you stay?? :eek:

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had to draw my piece a couple more times to stop something from happening than I care to remember, or get into here.

Not to dispute the validity of the above statement but it's my experience that if a gun is pulled it is generally because something has already happened and after the gun is pulled something worse happens. Never seen a gun pulled to stop something from happening.

9. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've pulled mine a few times. Since nobody died or got injured on those occasions, I'd say things got stopped pretty well.

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not obsessed with it, but do when I'm in a hotel, motel, or crowded place.

Not about fires, but it got me very aware of crowds and what could happen: I got in a jam of people after a large venue concert, and another time at a sports event. It was very scary to see how fast people got in trouble, and how fast it got worse. I know it's not about a fire, but it made me very aware of safe routes and routes that could get you in trouble. It made me think it could happen with people trying to escape a burning building.

In one case the jam up came from police on horses. They made a line trying to funnel people in one direction and it took way too long before they realized what they were doing, and a few of the several officers on horseback didn't realize people were in trouble, and made it worse. Also, some in crowd acted poorly. If I see a line of police on horses where there's a crowd I try to stay away.

Recently I was at a big backup with customs and TSA - Detroit airport. That made me wonder about safe escape if something happened. Only 1/2 the customs stations were open, 1 of 4 TSA lines, and it looked like an easy 1000-1500 people came off of planes in a short time. It was 2 hours to move a few hundred feet. A range of thoughts were in my mind going from what was their plan if something happened with so many people confined, and then of course why was so much of the physical capacity not open at holiday traffic.

For hotels I take the time to have my kids look at the exit plans.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What three little words are sure to spoil an intimate moment?

"Honey, I'm home!"

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The closet concert venue to us is walking distance.

It's a huge fire trap.

I go but I'm always standing in the back - never seated in the mass/herd.

What it took for me was 100 rock fans (RIP) dying at that Great White gig.

Hyper-aware since then.

13. BigDaddyLH

Any yet you hear about these fires happening around the world, and it's always that most or all of the doors were locked to prevent people sneaking in free, and them someone thinks it's a good idea to set fireworks off inside. Not again?!

14. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

LIVED, as in past tense, in Cleveland Ohio. I was in the city, a gentrifying area, that had a housing project within walking distance. Lots of street people and various other types would be around the better houses looking to score stuff. If it was outside after dark and not secured it would walk away.

Let's see, hearing the dead beat guy upstairs getting locked out of his girlfriend's apartment for being drunk and abusive, punching through a big plate glass window in her door, grabbing her by the hair and trying to pull her through then getting into her apartment, kicking apart the bathroom door were she was hiding. Tearing the towel rack off the wall and beating her mercilessly with it, all the while she's screaming and crying, and I've dialed 911, twice and dispatch is saying they're on their way. I couldn't sit there and listen to her get beat to death, and I surely wasn't going to go up there with only my D in my hand. So I went up, interrupted him, and held him at gunpoint until the police arrived.

She ended up getting over 40 stitched to her head and face, and then decided not to press charges. Since he wasn't officially on the lease, and his dad was a big deal in the city government he only got busted for the meth in his pocket and destruction of private property, 6 months in jail and probation. She was way behind on her rent and got evicted.

If I'd known she was going to not press charges, I wouldn't have gotten involved other than to call the police.

15. R.S.Fraser Sr.

R.S.Fraser Sr. Tele-Meister

In my working life I spent about 275 nights a year in hotels.

I've been in three hotel fires.

I always check the exit locations.
    I haven't seen it posted yet, so I will mention
    that I make a point of walking down the hall after I check my room,
    and open the Fire Escape door to discover if they are locked from the stairwell side.

There may be times in an evacuation situation, where you could need to get out of the stairwell on another floor - and cannot.

bob

16. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Never

17. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Not usually, but in hotels always.

Cheers,
    Geoff

18. simond

simond Tele-Holic

Popped up from a tube station near Trafalgar Square with my wife and a bunch of our small children. Lot if noise coming from the square and lots of police in riot gear sitting around in armoured cars. Quickly shepherded family away from the noise to quieter part of town. Turned out it was Bob Geldof and Nelson Mandela launching that action against poverty thing.

19. Gladiator

Gladiator TDPRI Member

I thought I was the only one who did this! I also choose hotel rooms on the lower levels if at all possible. Don't want to have to jump out of a window and break my legs to survive...

20. BigDaddyLH

*gulp* I just booked a hotel room and asked for a high floor because reviews mentioned street noise.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.