Do you listen?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Old Deaf Roadie, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Wow, Mr Know it all just spoke
    Guess what, not everyone learned at tuba band camp, deal with it

Greg_L likes this.
  2. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

I used to be the problem child, but I matured. I try my darnedest to hear the other folk on stage.

And I trust the sound person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've done sound for several decades. I hate subwoofers. Really? The kick and bass need their own system with the top loped off? I've specialized in mixing folk music for the most part, so I deal with low stage volumes to begin with but my goal is to make the sound system disappear. You shouldn't even realize that it's there. It should seem like you're listening to the band in a great listening room.

When I first started touring with the band "Trapezoid" at an acoustic living room rehearsal I crawled around the musicians as they played. They looked at me strangely, but I wanted to get familiar with their instruments and to find out where the sound came from, where the harmonics bloomed off the instruments and how they blended together. That served me well.

Playing in bands with drums and electric guitars, I've tried to carry that same ethos with me when I mix from the stage for my own band or someone else's band from the mix position. These days I do a lot of live to broadcast for our community radio station's live music program. Often I won't know what to expect until the band shows up. But the best part is that all the monitoring is done on headphones. We mic up the amps and put a packing blanket over it for isolation. Can't do that with drums, but we do the best with what we got.

telemnemonics and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sensor operator P-3C, VP-11.

kookaburra likes this.
  5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sensor operator P-3C, VP-11.

kookaburra likes this.
  6. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

I feel so bad for every sound man I ever had. looking back I was such a PoS. Im exactly the 15yo w/CD player that the OP was talking about. my first few shows the sound guys were so bad I couldn't hear anything so I just started cranking the half stack. once I moved up to reputable clubs I still had that mind set and the sound guys would say "hey dude, if you turn that stack off of 10 I can give you a nice mix." I would scoff and just say, naw man I won't be able to hear. one dude pleaded, just because he wanted ME to sound good. I was so young and hard headed. people after shows would always say "we couldn't hear you dude" even some seasoned guys tried to tell me but I was just too stubborn. what a fool. id love to find every dude that ran sound for me and apologize.

telemnemonics and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

Yeah there does seem to be a trend for intrusive music in the hit shows, can make them unwatchable.
    Like nature or wildlife shows with big emotional climactic build ups - stop it now !
    I think that often its the understated score that you don't really notice that really does the job of supporting the screen action.

And on a different point, some of the strong UK regional accents can be hard for UK folks to work out, dunno how you guys over there fare with that. But then you've got plenty of homegrown variation yourselves.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

That's peculiar. I also watch a lot of British (and UK in general) and have never noticed this. My fascination with UK TV began in grade school, so maybe I'm just used to it. My wife and both like, and prefer TV from that country. Yet when we watch, she generally has to have the subtitles on, while I have no issues understanding the dialog. One exception are some Scottish shows. Lemmy's Show, holy cow, the accents are so think it's unreal.

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've always lived by and preached...…….."You Got To Have BIG EARS";):D

10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

"....homegrown variation....".....huh!? We have no homegrown accents or dialects over here....especially not in Texas. :):):)

Norris Vulcan and Greggorios like this.
  12. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

None. Just like the first time I drove south of the Mason-Dixon line and the lady said...."You'll tawk fonny ya must be from New Yawk".:(

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Faith Hill and Tim McGraw concert was as you described, all bass and drums, forget the rest of the band and the vocals. Awful. We are sitting right near the sound guys.

Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I just don't get it.....a band I played with opened for Ian Moore many years ago. We obviously had the same sound guy, and everything sounded pristine. A few years later, I saw him at the Ridglea Theater, and all you could hear was bass guitar and kick drum. Very little vocals.....and NO guitar! This from a guy NOTED for his singing and guitar skills......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.