1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you listen to classical music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 1, 2020.

1. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My mom always loved Cesar Franck's Symphony in D minor. She played it often, along with Beethoven's Fifth. Those are the only ones I remember. I'm still pretty fond of the Franck one, which my classical composers book dismissed (I thought) as a "tone poem". Whatever.

Also, you know what is a good movie? Amadeus. Without having seen that, I wouldn't have thought to go see Mozart's Requiem at the Hult Center in Eugene. A very nice show.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  2. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

Always. During drive time. We have a pretty good classical station here in Phoenix.

3. flatcat90

flatcat90 TDPRI Member

That is 1,000,000% awesome.

Nahtabot and JRapp like this.
  4. flatcat90

flatcat90 TDPRI Member

I started out at age four as a violinist and learned to play viola in my teens. I've played a lot of the pieces mentioned, a pretty wide variety of different styles of music. I've been very fortunate in my experiences playing with some wonderful players and even one or two really excellent teachers. I've heard and played many, many different pieces, both as a soloist and a member of an ensemble, chamber music, symphonic music, solo pieces. I was very, very lucky, and learned a lot.

However, learning about the blues much later taught me other incredibly important lessons about music. :)

I frequently listen to Yo-yo Ma's second recording of the Bach Cello Suites. There are amazing versions of Beethoven's symphonies and overtures, and his piano sonatas, on period instruments which I think are just incredible (Ronald Brautigam - so, so amazing). I read a fascinating biography about Beethoven which affected how I listen to his music, especially the piano music. And if you want to hear modern music before modern music even existed, listen to the Grosse Fugue. It's mind-bending.

The one composer I find I can't not stop and listen to - like, if I have the radio on in the background or whatever - sometimes something will come on and stop me in its tracks, and it always turns out to be by Vaughan Williams. I think Beethoven is the greatest composer who ever lived, and I love his music so much. But Vaughan Williams speaks to some part of me that is ... I don't know. His music is very, very moving to me. I'd say it soothes my soul, if I believed in souls.

So many great pieces - his oboe concerto is awesome, In The Fen Country is great, obviously The Lark Ascending, the cello concerto ... but this piece, for me - and this performance in particular - might be one of the most achingly beautiful performances I've ever heard:

"
    It's for stuff like that that I wish I could hear in stereo to really appreciate it (I've been deaf in my right ear since I was about 5).

5. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

"no one really notices"

If anyone asks, I'll say I 'heard nothing'! :lol:
    Good for you though. That piece sits pretty high up the repertoire 'food chain'. (One of my personal faves).
    ..And the story behind it, wow -- powerful emotional stuff.

Back 'in the day' (late 1980s), I was able to catch my guitar instructor play the entire thing with the OR Symphony. Cool stuff. Great piece of music.

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  6. wharf_rat

wharf_rat TDPRI Member

classical music is incredible and i would love to see a full orchestra play some Tchaikovsky. If im in the car the classical station is the only one worth listening too. good music and nice world news and interviews with composers, jazz players. etc. radio like television suffers from being owned by the same 5 companies who all have the same crappy agenda. clinton did us no favors with that 1996 FCC law that allowed all those huge companies to own and operate all the media.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.