1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you listen to classical music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 1, 2020.

1. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I mostly listen to classical and jazz. Do yourself a favor and listen to these lps on a good system:

s-l400 (2).jpg

2. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

600 years of "classical" music has been my home turf for the past 50+ years. And I really feel I've only dipped a toe in an enormous ocean: I still constantly make new discoveries of genres, pieces and composers to explore. (But I can say the same of jazz and blues too. I only discovered the joy of slide guitar and resonators about 4 years ago.)

No lists of favourites from me, though if I had to choose one form it would be the string quartet.

I listen to BBC Radio 3 a lot: although it has tended towards playing drive-time extracts rather than complete pieces over the years, it's still a tremendous resource. If you have access to BBC Sounds I'd heartily recommend dipping into Tom Service's long running and ongoing series of half-hour explorations of various aspects of classical music on R3, "The Listening Service". Constant inspiration for new things to explore further.

3. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Yup.
    Prolly why Emerson, Lake & Palmer has been my favorite band since '73.

4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

The Listening Service is also available as a podcast on iTunes and other platforms :)

WingedWords likes this.
  5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Baroque 'n' roll...

6. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

I don't listen to much traditional classical anymore, now it's the avante garde modern stuff for orchestra etc. I do like some of the modern Baroque stuff in non equal temperament tuning.

For a guitar picker, this is a nice collection to listen to. These tunes are very accessible for all levels of guitar. And you don't need a 10 string contraption to play these!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    PhredE likes this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Sure

whatcha got ?

8. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Yes we listen to quite a lot of classical radio at home.
    My daughter plays clarinet - all classical

9. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Hey Tex...I got interested in classical music back in the 1980's so one day i picked up a copy of Michael Walsh's Who's Afraid of Classic Music? I bought it as a primer, as somewhere to start and that's exactly what it was written for if anyone's interested. It's a lighthearted introduction to classical music from a guy that was the classical music editor for Time magazine (so he knows a few things). I just looked him up and found out he's some sort of conservative pundit nowadays but the book's not political.

It helped me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0785817379/?tag=tdpri-20

10. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

That has always been one of my favorite motets.

11. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. Chopin and Bach.
    Bach is just about written for translating to guitar.
    Chopin is melodic and emotional.

darkwaters likes this.
  12. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We all stand corrected, thank you! :D

13. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

I think it's sad that Chicago doesn't have a blues station. But then again I'm not surprised since they were initially going to demolish Muddy Waters home.

Greggorios likes this.
  14. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it". I find myself playing a lot of Bach transcriptions lately. Since I've slowed down a bit, I can keep up with those! I just have to watch my left hand to make sure it doesn't go 'pretzel mode' (easy to do when playing Bach.. argh!!)

Speaking of Sor (this one is a real blast to play because of the fretboard gymnastics near the end)..
    Here's another: a very young John Williams doing, yup, you know it, "Variations on a theme by Mozart"

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  15. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

I have liked listening to that since I was a young kid back in the 50’s.

Still listen to it a lot. One of my favorite times to listen is during the winter while out shoveling snow. Just seems very peaceful and uplifting then.

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I listen to classical music often, but only some of it is really "classical." When I think classical, I think Mozart, Haydn, Telemann, etc.

They is only a small (but beautiful!) portion of a much larger and continuous stream of music that continues today.

I've never been convinced there is "progress" in music. There is only a broadening and deepening. Wonderful writers of music continue to write, some of them for traditional orchestras, chamber groups, choirs, instruments, and so on. Even if they are traditional in the instruments they write for, they can be profoundly radical in the music they write.

The vast majority of popular music in the west today is musically stuck in the most basic version of eighteenth-century harmony.

The people who have ventured far beyond those limits are music-writers that are never going to be "popular" because they are not trying to be popular. They are marching to a different drummer.

The music-writer still living today that I feel the greatest sympathy with is Peteris Vasks from Latvia. With other people, I like older styles of country and roots music. But in my soul, as I get older?

Vasks. Like this:

Mark the Moose likes this.
  17. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Yes, count me in.

I'm not so much into Baroque anymore (other than lute music played on guitar) but I find many kinds of orchestral classical from Mozart's time through recent very powerful and moving. Fantastic if heard live but also great through a nice enough stereo.

Here's a cool solo guitar performance that I'm enjoying this week.

KevinB likes this.
  18. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

The classical era has never inspired me much. I like Renaissance and Baroque era composers, then later Beethoven and Romantic era composers as well as more modern composers through the 20th and 21st centuries. But Mozart and Haydn...just not as interesting for me.

19. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

As I love all music, I have a classical music station on the presets of my car stereo. I also own a small library of classical recordings, on LP and cassette tape, which include the complete works of Beethoven.

20. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I wrote my dissertation on Vasks string quartets. Amazing that I would encounter someone here who would know his work! I love his violin concerto.

JRapp likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.