1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you listen to classical music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 1, 2020.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Not really. Off and on. Just stuff friends have given me. I know little about it.

But yesterday, I was in a second hand store, and they were playing something classical. I couldn't acctually see the source, but it was coming out in front of me through a hi fidelity, audiophile type power amp going for about US$1150 used, and a used pair of JBL something or others going for around US$2800.

The sound literally stopped me in my tracks. It was simply amazing. Depth, clarity, all the 'tone words' audiophiles use, etc. I stood there for ages, just mesmerised. Really drove home the fact that even half way decent stuff like my Audioengines don't really cut it.

Oh well.

Pax/
    Dean

P Thought and black_doug like this.
  2. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Back in the day.. There were ongoing debates about how certain types of music should be played.
    There was a prevailing mindset that certain pieces were supposed to be played certain ways. IIRC, the tiff was about how to play certain Bach pieces -- people (other accomplished players, critics, orchestra leaders, etc. ) said he should play it essentially as everyone else before him had done (predictably, at a certain tempo, no rubato, etc.) he basically said "BS!" to the establishment and played it his way.
    In some situations you can get away with such thing, but in others, 'not so much'.
    He was also famous for his eccentric behavior as well.

black_doug and thunderbyrd like this.
  3. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

Yes. I really like Bach’s violin concertos and a lot of opera.

4. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

I often work from home / complete my work at home. Also, I can often do certain parts of my 'on site' work at a workstation while wearing headphones. I often listen to music as 'background.'

What I've found is I need to avoid 'narratives' (I should probably avoid these 'half quotes' too :)).

Anyway, what I mean is, anything with lyrics is distracting, as is any music which strongly maps out a sonic path or story. My mind just wants to follow the story - even if it just starts off in my subconscious self, if soon escapes and enters the back corners of my consciousness, and from there slowly creeps forward, until it's actually occupying my attention area. I'll find myself following along, and not really paying full attention to what I'm working on. As much of what I do involves words and constructing sentences, this can be a real impediment.

Jazz and classical can both do this. Julian Lage for example, plays out like a conversation or story. He's impossible for me in this context. I always end up just listening.

Now, I either have jazz playlists of works that don't do this so much, or I listen to dub. The more mesmerising, or drone-like a style or piece of music is, the better for me while I'm doing other stuff.

Oh, oh, except when I'm cooking. I like to have raving rock music for that.

Pax/
    Dean

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  5. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

:cry::cry::cry::cry:Check out Bellini’s Norma act II Mira o Norma. Makes me cry

6. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

Here in Japan, I can stream the BBC's Radio 3 (& the other channels). But, the BBC does say that while most of their radio channels can be streamed to anywhere, at times you can't stream some radio outside the UK, due to rights restrictions, and that this is true especially with classical music and live performances.

But, folks can try and see what happens for them.

Pax/
    Dean

7. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

Yes. Before the you-know-what, my wife and I had season tickets to our state's philharmonic and we'd drive two hours for each performance once a month. I've been a huge fan for 50 years, though my favorite genres are jazz, fusion, prog rock, and bluegrass.

8. fishermike

fishermike Tele-Meister

I've been listening to it a lot more lately. It can be very immersive. Helps take my mind to a better place sometimes.

Thoughtfree likes this.
  9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I do love to hear masterful renditions on non-classical instruments...like banjo or uke.

Here's an internet friend of mine, Rob Mackillop, a renowned lutenist and classical guitarist. Here playing on the uke...with an often sublime take on Bach.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  10. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

Well, you have.

I could say the same about Kodaly, as I believe his countryman Bartok has been mentioned.
    Geez, Khachaturian, or the Czech, Janacek.

so so many great ears

P Thought and xtelesquirex like this.
  11. bluetele54

Part I do believe, rather than Pare

elihu likes this.
  12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Arvo Pärt -- FTW!

13. bluetele54

Yup, and I concur, he’s an interesting listen.
    I’ve both vinyl and cd’s of his works.

14. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Not very often. But I will seek it out sometimes while I'm driving and need to relax.

15. bluetele54

I would think so.
    He isn’t performed as much as his more famous students are.
    I found a book on harmony that he wrote, and it’s signed by him!
    I’ve looked to authenticate it, and I’ve seen similar looking signatures online.

At miss read something at one time thinking that Percy Grainger, whom I like to listen to, was a student as well, but no.
    He did spend time in London and met Elgar, Vaughn-Williams and Delius, with whom he became very close.
    So many great ears.

16. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I studied classical music in college- I love it. I still remember going to Masterclass and seeing the other students play and they were all SO much better than me. It was both humbling and inspiring.
    I still like to watch performances on youtube. The way those guys and gals play. Wow

17. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I enjoy classical music, but I don't listen to it too often these days. Just the way things turned out. But there are two periods in my life where I listened to classical music quite a bit, and I look back fondly on those days.

When I was in college, I worked my way though school by teaching/working at a tiny private school in San Francisco. It was a magical place and I consider my time there to be equally important to the time I spent at university. A professor at my university had a young child enrolled at the private school where I worked, and I developed a close relationship with the family. The other parent was a professor at the state university across town. Since I had a great relationship with the child, and they knew me from both the elementary school and the university, they ended up hiring me to take care of the child for nights out, and also longer times when they had conferences or symposiums to attend. The husband was an audiophile with a very expensive stereo system, way beyond anything that I could afford at the time--and I had a pretty good system. They also had an extensive library of classical music. The young child was also passionate about classical music. So I spent a good deal of time at their place in the years I attended the university, and I took full advantage of the sound system and their album collection. There were many times they came home and I was asleep on the couch with the classical music still playing on the stereo. I have many happy memories of being in that beautiful house, educating myself with their record collection.

After I graduated I moved to Seattle. I had a series of family issues that required me to drive back and forth from either Seattle or Los Angeles to Connecticut. Before my first journey I bought a selection of opera CDs to play for the drive. I figured that the alone-time in the car would be a good opportunity to broaden my horizons. I think I made 5 trips across the country within a few years, and each time I listened to my opera collection the whole time.

Its probably a combination of the great music and great times I had, but I still think about those days often.

18. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Not an active listener, but I do appreciate it. I’m omnivorous as to my music tastes. I used my music as management repellent. Certain foreman hated rock, I’d play Clash, Ramones, others country, Waylon and Willie were my friends, if either didn’t work Miles Davis and a few others helped. Pandora and Sirius are my best friends right now that I’m retired. I’ve a Pandora channel I use for classical guitar as wind down for the day.
    This thread has given me a lot to search out.

19. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

You'll probably recognize a lot of it.......I was always attracted classical guitar....Bach and Beethoven where the most melodic to me

Nahtabot likes this.
  20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yes. Love it! I draw the line at modern composers when they go all Phillip Glass, other than that, I’m all in.
    I also like Tudor, Renaissance lute and harp, some Gregorian music, etc,.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.