1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you listen to classical music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

IMO this is probably one of the best performances of the Queen of the Night Aria in Mozart's Magic Flute that I've ever seen/heard. IMO Diana Damrau is the supreme epitome of the perfect marriage of both beauty and talent.
    Enjoy!

2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Telemann, not Talmann. Which is sort of apposite :)

PhredE and Telekarster like this.
  3. lousy13

lousy13 Tele-Meister

I do listen to classical along with a lot of Bebop. I'm a neophyte at both but will spend more time learning about it now that I'm retired. I discovered an app called Idagio which bills itself as the Ultimate Classical Music App.

4. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Oops! LOL!!! Thanks for the correction ;) Spot on!

5. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You're starting out right but when you're ready to really listen check some Arvo Pare. He's a contemporary composer, whose still alive btw, a lot choral music but easy on the ears.

Have fun

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I have well over 1000 classical CDs and I love to sit in a comfortable chair and blast classical music through a good sound system. It helps if my wife is out of the house! I particularly like English romantic composers like Vaughan Williams, Elgar, Bax, Butterworth, Bridge, etc. but anything by Bach, Mozart or Beethoven is fine too.

Compared to NJ/NYC where I live now is a bit of a cultural abyss but we always had subscriptions to the NJSO and went to lots of concerts in NYC.

Randypttt, bluetele54 and Nahtabot like this.
  7. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Holic

I was raised on a diet of country, rock & roll, R&B, classical, soul, funk & whatever else was going on.

I learned & played cello from age 11 to age 15; was in an 85 piece orchestra the last 2 years.

Most folks don't 'get' classical music but the architecture, the construction of the music, the soothing moments, all can be sublime & can offer an appreciation of music that may otherwise never offer the listener that particular musical nugget. It is an acquired taste but IMO it is worth the time investment.
    YMMV .............

8. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

My 4 year daughter’s been obsessed with Igor Stravinsky’s ballet scores, so the “Rite of Spring” as well as “Petrushka” have been on constant play.
    The aforementioned English composers, Gustav Holst and Ralph Vaughn-Williams, as well as Frederick Delius, Cyril Scott, George Butterworth, Edward Elgar.
    I LOVE the Catalan composer, native of Barcelona, Federico Mompou, and if you like or need contemplative and meditative sounds, he’s one for you.
    Dvorak, Vitezslav Novak, Bohuslav Martinu (I’ve many recordings of Martinu, and he was brilliant).
    Alan Hovhaness, Darius Milhaud.
    LaMonte Young, Moondog (Louis Hardin)
    Janos Starker performing the Bach Cello suites.
    Maurice Durufle’s glorious Requiem.
    Furtwangler conducting Beethoven’s 6th.
    Celibidache conducting Ravel’s “Bolero”
    Ivan Moravec’s recording of Debussy’s “Images” and “Preludes”
    Recommended!
    The Borodin playing the entire Shostakovich String Quartets.
    Pierre Fournier’s 1962 recordings of both the Dvorak and Elgar cello concertos, which I’ve listened to multiple times recently.
    Anatoly Lyadov’s “Enchanted Lake”

And although Vaughn-Williams has been mentioned, specifically his “A Lark Ascending” as recorded by violinist Iona Brown with Sir Neville Marriner conducting the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields IS FLAT OUT GAWGEEOUS!!!
    There’s so much more to hear.

...and if you want to hear a pianist truly rip, try the recording of Ravel’s “Piano Concerto in G” on the RCA Living Stereo label, as played by pianist Nicole Henriot-Schweitzer with Charles Munch conducting the Boston Symphony.

re Holst, we were in Wellington, New Zealand last year and heard the “The Planets” performed by the New Zealand Symphony and it was MASSIVE!
    That’s truly a piece of music you have to hear live, although there’s a brilliant 1971 recording conducted by Zubin Mehta and the LA Philharmonic that’s worth searching for.
    It’s an audiophile quality recording by a Masterful English DECCA engineering crew.
    The brass section truly shines.

I’ll stop now...

41144 and JJLC like this.
  9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Yep.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You're fortunate because there are fewer and fewer of them every day. Both classical and jazz seem to be on the endangered species list. :(

PhredE and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Dig into 20th Century composers.

Lots of good contemporary composers as well.

I prefer small ensembles to full symphonies.

12. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

13. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

Have you ever listened to the “Carl Stalling Project”? He’s the one who created all those brilliant musical moments for those great Warner Brothers cartoons.
    There’s several cd’s worth of material and it’s truly inspired.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yawn. Nope. Just can't do it ... to my wife's chagrin. Five years of playing classical violin and a big baroque fan back in high school, I just moved on. Even though my current study into early blues is surprisingly fresh, it still makes classical music seem very dated. I get nothing from ancient classical music and actually perturbed by the lack of it's creativity. Perhaps good stuff for people who have a hard time going to sleep, but I don't have that problem.

15. greenhornet

greenhornet Tele-Meister

Yes.

As Beethoven said: "Nicht Bach, aber meer."

My music listening habits are 50 percent Classical (Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, R.Strauss, Mahler, Wagner, Ravel, Debussy, the Russians, etc)

And 50 percent Jazz: Ellington, Bird, Miles, Stan Getz, Benny Goodman, Wes, Monk...

I pretty much don't listen to rock or country, unless someone else is playing it.

16. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

Similar tastes right here fella. My single classical playlist on Amazon Music features 82 compositions by Vivaldi, Manfredini, and 'Bach Trios' featuring Yo-Yo Ma. The Baroque station is pretty darn good as well. I absolutely love having it on lowish volume while working.

17. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Yes, but I have no idea what I'm listening to.

aging_rocker likes this.
  18. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Yup, fairly regularly in fact. But, if I start going into detail I'll never shut up.

So, I'll just say: Bach (JS, 'the man'), Barrios and Rodrigo get listened to the most.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just realized that, once I recognize who I am listening to, then perhaps what the piece is, then the music drops into a different part of my brain and my innocent appreciation of the music is sacrificed for another sort of appreciation.

I like listening to stuff more like a small child would. Leave out all the expectations, the past listening experiences. It is fun, a novel kind of amusement.

aging_rocker and wrathfuldeity like this.
  20. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

I like it if the volume is balanced well. There's really some great stuff out there

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.