Do you listen to classical music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 1, 2020.

1. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted

Yup. Grew up with it as a lullaby when I'd stay at my grandparents' place, they'd put me down and turn on some classical overnight program. Wife's a big opera fan which I could take or leave, but live it is a whole other thing. Saw Cosi fan Tutte last year & spent the bulk of the performance actively trying not to sob in big heaves publicly, had some success. Some. Indescribably beautiful.

Anymore, I have my faves and don't venture afield much. Classical guitar is still very calming to me, I like solo piano a lot as well, and love choral music. Lacrymosa from Mozart's Requiem if I had to pick a single piece, just love that one.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Quite a bit. Especially recently.

Both WUTC and WFIV have been reformatted, and they're nothing like they used to be. I don't recommend either, anymore.

But I can pick up a station out of Asheville, through its local arm in my county in NC. And they play a lot of Classical.

I have decided not to try to dissect any of it, though. I know what I already know, and the rest of it I just listen to like a "civilian". I don't care to analyze it, learn its structure, the motivation of the composer, none of this is my business at this time.

So I apologize from not being of any help but I am deliberately staying loose and don't wanna know if it is Verdi or Vivaldi, Schumann or Schubert, or which Strauss or Bach it happens to be.

3. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Like this?

4. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

Shame! No one mentioned Enescu.

5. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Vaughan Williams "The lark ascending" is one of the most sublime, short also, pieces of music ever.

Elgar's cello (Em, op85) runs a close second.

Pretty well any Verdi opera is a must to at least try out.

And, for contrast, Wagner's Ring cycle.

Same as rock/blues... Just too much to chose from to say 'that's my favourite artist/track.

aging_rocker and bluetele54 like this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

when i'm reading here at home, i often put on "the best of bach" on utube. it's a good background for reading. i don't claim to know much about bach, but i like it.

one thing in the classical world i am curious about: what was the big deal about Glenn Gould?

PhredE likes this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I taught at the middle school we had an "activity period" where we teachers each put together a class we enjoyed teaching, outside normal subject areas, and kids rotated through, I think every three weeks, anyway. . .

Mine was a "music appreciation" class for eighth-graders. Using a coffee-table book I had on classical composers, websites for portraits, and CDs I bought at Fred Meyer (classical CDs were really cheap) I put together I think 13 handouts, each with a portrait and biography of a composer on one side, ruled lines for writing on the other.

Following the book, I arranged the composers in chronological order, and emphasized "periods"--baroque, classical, romantic, and modern--again using the book as a guide.

Each class we went together over the biography of the day's composer, then we listened to a CD of the composer's work. While the music played, students were expected to write a page of intelligent response on the backside of the biography, which I collected at the end of class.

Lessee now: Vivaldi, Bach, Mendelsshon, Brahms, Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Wagner, Gershwin. . .I see I've forgotten some.

Most of what I know about classical music and composers, and my modest collection of classical music CDs, comes from that class. It's funny, many of the kids cried and moaned about having to listen to "boring old" music, but not one of them even seemed to notice that I got them to write a whole page every day. Win!

8. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Yep. I've been hooked ever since, about 45 years ago, I bought a Segovia plays Bach album by chance. Right now my wife and I are listening to the Bach cello suites.

I'm not that fond of orchestral and I don't like vocal at all. What I love are the "small" classical pieces for guitar or cello or violin or piano or quartets and quintets.

I play some classical pieces for guitar, not all that well, but I enjoy trying!

Bill B and PhredE like this.
  9. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Dad used to study to Classical when he was in night school.
    I’d play with my toys in the room.
    So I got exposed to Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Mozart, Liszt, Ravel, Schubert, Wagner, Strauss.
    I can’t quote you names and symphony numbers but I recognize a lot when I hear it on SXM

10. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

If you don't watch TV, movies, or listen to music. What do you do? Stare at the wall?

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I listen on a daily basis. We're blessed to have an OUTSTANDING Classical FM radio station here in DFW. (if anyone is curious, 101.1 WRR FM)
    I was raised on classical and traditional church music (mostly choral).....and I guess it's in my blood.
    As a Music Major in college, some people thought it strange that I had one foot planted in Classical.....and the other foot firmly in Rock. I've always tried to bring something of a Classical sensibility to Rock.....dynamics, harmonies, dramatic expression.....without being self-indulgent.

elihu, PhredE and TheGoodTexan like this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I stare at this silly little device in my hands more than I care to admit.
    I play lots of guitar and bass, too.
    I suffer from entertainment burn out, I guess.
    I still find plenty of stuff to occupy my mind.

13. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

As an aside, Edgar Frose has to be the Beethoven of our times. RIP Edgar. Your talents are greatly missed.

14. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Perhaps one of the 20th century's best pianists.

Celebrated interpreter of Bach's keyboard works.

Exhibited weird behaviour throughout his life. Died relatively young.

PhredE and black_doug like this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Chris is amazing. Though I haven't seen him live in too long.

Is it really true, we never had a thread here to mourn the end of "Live from Here"? Mind blowing.

16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've listened to "The Planets" and "Rite of Spring" more than a few times. And I think I like Brahms' Symphony #4. I listened to a few Brandenburg Concertos. Mostly #2 and #5. Do those count?

17. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Trans Siberian Orchestra - Requiem (The Fifth)

18. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Mozart is my #1 favorite and have nearly everything he ever did in my collection but Bach, Beethoven, Handel, Talmann, Lizst, Braums, etc. Heck... I guess I love all of em ;)

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

A lot -- but not as background musak which I think is being rather dismissive. Then again, I don't really like any sort of background musak -- either I'm listening to something or I'm not.

P Thought and nojazzhere like this.
  20. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

58000992-921F-4DC0-AD36-BFEB3F8054D7.jpeg Funny you should ask. . . I don’t listen every day, and probably less than once a month. I’ve got a small collection of classical CDs.

Just yesterday I put on Amazon Prime Music and asked for music by Mozart. Kept me going all afternoon. I like Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi, and Tchaikovsky. This one’s very relaxing:

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.