Do you listen to classical music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 1, 2020.

1. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Yes.

I bought, a number of clasical albums 20-25 years ago, that I listen to on occasion.

They comprise selections/works from different composers and I enjoy the variety.

It's generally relaxing and quite different than the stuff I normally listen to...

Although that's quite varied as well.

2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Yes. I was raised with it. Mom had a pile of Toscanini's recordings.

I have a decent collection of CDs and like others, I listened to a lot of NPR before it went all talk. I loved programs like "The Record Shelf"...where you got associated trivia and insights, etc.

About 5 yrs ago I joined a local amateur string orchestra as a violist. Whole 'nuther perspective. I miss it a lot.

Greggorios likes this.
  3. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Beethoven "slays".

4. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

If you mean classical music in the broad, common sense of the term, music mostly performed in concert halls and opera houses by orchestras, singers, choruses, chamber ensembles and solo instrumentalists, then I listen to it all the time. Not every day, but four or five times a week.

For anyone wanting to learn more about it, there are quite a few online courses that are free.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

6. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

I have settled on early music from the medieval / baroque period.

There are some super vocal works and I really enjoy the lower tuning (A=415 ish and lower) of the instruments. I wish modern saxes and clarinets were pitched lower than A=440.

nojazzhere and MisterZ like this.
  7. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Yep. Especially on the car radio. Can't abide the available modern music stations- Classic Rock, easy listening, AOR, chart pop- and worn out with news and current events, with what passes for insightful commentary. Good classical is the aural and cerebral equivalent of really good sunglasses, on a bright day- a warm bath, for the mind.

I like the randomness of letting the BBC choose the programme. They record a lot of concerts and sponsor a ton of events. There's a commercial alternative, which plays the orchestral version of classic rock. I prefer to be surprised.

Late 19th/early 20th century composers are my favourites- Satie, Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Vaughan Williams, Holst, Elgar, Copland, Cage - but I'll try anything once. ;)

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nope.
    I have difficulty listening to music.
    I know that’s weird.
    I’m am/was a moderately busy working player (guitar/bass).
    I basically only listen to music analytically to learn to play/reproduce it.
    I never listen to any form of music for pleasure anymore.
    I also almost never watch movies or TV.
    I still love to play music, but precious little of the music I hear holds my attention, anymore.
    I have difficulty finding music/entertainment I like.
    Maybe I’m “full”.
    Maybe I’m full of it!
    Dunno.

9. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

By “Peer Gynt” you mean Grieg?

10. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

Nice list. Both Gustav Holst and Ralph Vaughn-Williams were students of Sir Charles Villiers Stanford.
    A respected teacher who also composed.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  11. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Yeah, sometimes. But mostly I listen to heavy Rock and jazz. Sometimes Country. I listen to everything at least a little. Even Rap once in awhile.

12. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I have a few thousand ‘Classical’ pieces in a big playlist that I run when we’re doing stuff in the house. maybe 500 hours of music.

My wife mentioned the other day that bugs bunny cartoons was where she heard many of them first. As usual she was right on the money.

Bugs was a good intro actually.

13. Jake909

Jake909 TDPRI Member

First introduced to classical music as a five year-old watching cartoons with the musical soundtracks provided by some of the great composers like Beethoven and more contemporary composers like Ferde Grofé, Gershwin, Copeland, Prokofiev. I've been listening since. After my vinyl collection of rock and blues came classical, jazz, Hank, Waylon and Willie. Radio and record players. What would we have done without those?

14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Not as much since the internet. I use to put on classical music on Sunday mornings when I did work or prepped for the coming week. It was very relaxing. Now I waste time on the internet instead.

15. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Yes.

One sub-genre I listen to is pipe organ music. Fernando Germani is the man.

16. Mandocaster68

Mandocaster68 TDPRI Member

I enjoy much of what I hear under the "classical" heading. Full orchestras, chamber groups, small group and solo. I especially like hearing modern small group work like the Brodsky and Kronos Quartets.

Chris Thile's solo mandolin Bach album is a tremendous work.
    Here is one of the 'fast' passages. Talk about shredding!

elihu likes this.
  17. EdgarHF

EdgarHF Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

So much so that I have gotten into Haydn string quartets. Especially good is Opus 76, no 2 which contains the witches minuet. I wonder how a fiddle, a steel pedal guitar, and a telecaster would handle that minuet?

18. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

elihu likes this.
  19. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Yes here too. And yes I'm always a dilettante, I do prefer the famous stuff, but I have more classical than "classic rock" in my collection.

Live is best, so woody and warm but I love it cranked on the stereo too. Though one time we left the symphony, Beethoven's 7th of course, and I popped the cd of it on in the car for comparison, sounded like complete crap.

Here's some famous Vivaldi I've been blasting lately, as loud as I can get it .

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  20. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

I love classical music. especially classical guitar. Leyenda; Asturia performed by Andre Segovia, Classical Gas, the lord of the rings soundtracks, the Hobbit soundtracks, anything by Aaron Copeland, Grofre's Grand Canyon Suite, anything from Beethoven, Bach, Paganini, Liszt. Hector Berlioz Symphonie fantastique is always a fun one. Especially if you can find the one where Leonard Bernstein explains the different movements, sounds, and psychedelia involved in Berlioz's drug induced fever dream. I have even more if you would like, but these are my favorites and will entertain you for at least a day.

buster poser and TheGoodTexan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.