1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you listen to classical music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Oct 1, 2020.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I do not have much knowledge about classic music, but I've always heard that playing some classical music lightly in the background while you're reading/studying/working will have an overall positive effect for you.

So I did a little Googling and found a few lists of recommended things to listen to... and then created a Spotify playlist from that... and I've basically had classical music going in the background in my office all week, while I'm otherwise working on something else.

I don't know that I can measure the effect in a tangible manner, but I really like it. I'm just playing it from an old iPad which I placed on a shelf on the other side of the room, playing very softly. It's not connected to a stereo system, so there are not really any dynamics to it. But it seems to make me feel encouraged.

2. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I love to listen to classical, but I'm a completely uninformed dilettante about it. We used to have a classical radio station here and I had a big console stereo that was a magical combination; it really filled the house with that sound. But when the station changed to all-day NPR, I got rid of the console... because that was the last listenable music on the radio here.

I still hunt out streaming internet feeds though. It's nice to step away from my usual diet of rock and americana.

Dano-caster, Area51, 61fury and 3 others like this.
  3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    That's me too. I recognize famous melody lines here or there, but I have no idea who or what I am listening to, unless I go look at the screen.

There's no way I can listen to anything like that while I'm trying to do any desk work. I just can't concentrate with pop/rock sound going on.

Nightclub Dwight and elihu like this.
  4. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, I particularly like the Baroque period. Vivaldi and Telemann are favorites. Sirius XM has a show on Saturday morning called "Baroque and Beyond" that I normally tune in.

Other favorites include Schubert, F.J. Haydn, Brahms, Holst, Dvorak, Bartok and of course Bach.

5. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Live, yes. Recorded, not so much.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Especially live. At true concert volume. Dynamics as they should be

Recorded is ok but nothing like a live orchestral performance

7. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I like that the melodies are so different from guitar based music (quite often). I like the counterpoint, the alternate melody lines played by other instruments. I like the dynamics with 100 instruments...
    Yeah I listen to a lot!
    I’ve been a basher all my guitar playing days, loud fast and pretty straight forward. Go figure!

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'll catch some Specials on PBS as I love to watch all the players and the instruments. Plus of course the music and dynamics...

( as a kid in the 1960's I checked out books from the library about 'the instruments in the orchestra' and similar- read every line and the pictures, wow!)

I even took Clarinet lessons for 2 years ( it was better than piano, which I hated!)

But I don't actively listen to Classical music- I should

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yes. We have Classic FM for the highlights and populist stuff, and Radio Three for more serious listening. I also have a large collection of classical music CDs, should the mood take me. Second hand classical CDs are a bargain. The previous owners tended to look after them well. Jazz CDs are worth looking for too. Beethoven, Bach, Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck feature highly on my playlists.

Scour your local second-hand and charity shops.

You too? Odd that. I play three-chord fast punked up R&B. All the metal-heads and punks I know also love classical. I think it's more a love of music, a love of loud and a love of contrasts. Orchestras provide all that and more. Ain't nuthin' more metal than Bach and Beethoven at times :)

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  10. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Listen, have played it in the orchestra in college, have CDs, oh yeah. I am into a lot of it.

I don't put it on in the background, as there are a number of pieces I am really into and feel the need to turn them up and enjoy.

Tommy Biggs and TheGoodTexan like this.
  11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

listening to classical in the morning is a wonderful way to kind of unfold for your day

the local community radio station always does morning classical programs

nojazzhere, elihu and TheGoodTexan like this.
  12. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

For me : Stravinsky, Moussorgsky, Sibelius, Peer Gynt, Villa-Lobos, Anderson, Ravel, Bach, Berlioz, Isao Tomita (I consider him from the Classic Music range, with his Plasma Symphonic Orchestra), Cistercian or Middle-Age abbeys choirs, etc... Live or recorded, depending on the occasions...

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln.

TheGoodTexan and teleaddicted like this.
  13. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Some might not view this as "Classical" per se, but I also enjoy Copeland and Gershwin very much.

You could really spend a lifetime exploring Classical music. There are many great works and composers beyond the well-known names.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  14. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

You betcha I do! I've even been to the opera but pleeeeeeeze don't tell anyone.

15. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

So true. And that’s part of the driving force behind a Hi-Fi obsession. I can report some success. Fantastic if all you want to do is listen to music.

Too overwhelming for background unless quiet. Somehow prefer small speakers like an amazon echo for background. The limited bandwidth, low volume and irrelevant sound stage allow the tune to be recognised without being too distracting or taking over the room.

16. MisterZ

MisterZ Tele-Holic

Handel over Bach.
    Haydn over Mozart.
    Beethoven over all of them.

But that's just me.

Nahtabot likes this.
  17. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yes. My father is a real aficionado. He has probably 800 vinyl albums and 2000 CDs (though He has winnowed them down some). He used to co-host a public radio show on classical music.

I have nowhere near his knowledge or appreciation for it, but I still love it and, of course, it will always make me think of him.

18. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Love it! When I was in the Navy back in the early '70's near Seattle, we used to pick up a delightful program on the radio called "Symphony At 8" at 8pm in the evenings, I believe it was broadcast from Las Vegas if I'm not mistaken. We used to go out to the beach, catch a buzz, watch the sunset, listen to Symphony at 8.

My favorite Moody Blues album is "Days Of Future Passed," with the London Festival Orchestra.

My favorite classical piece is Beethoven's 5th, at volume # 11!

19. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

No. But I do hold the composers in the greatest respect. I believe studing their compositions and arrangments would make me a better musician. Classical music is timeless. I do love some pieces I hear. As a matter of fact. I want to create a fugue with Euro Rack one day. Why? I think it will be a blast!
    Will we still be listening to Led Zep and Hendrix in 2120?

20. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

(note: I haven't read any other responses)

I have little knowledge about classical music, though I learned a lot of it playing in the school orchestra as a kid.

These days I listen to a lot of it when I'm driving.

The idea of googling Spotify playlists is just too weird for me.

I listen to an old-fashioned radio station, where human beings play the records. The usually tell you what they are going to play, and which recorded version you are going to hear. When it's over, they remind you of what you have just heard, and who was performing.

The announcer often adds interesting biographical information, sometimes quite extensive, too.

There is often a theme to the announcer's two- or three-hour program. After a while you start to feel that the announcer is like a friend, introducing you to the music. Instead of playing random tracks, I let the announcer choose the music and guide me gently. I am sure that the announcer knows a lot about the music, and I appreciate the guidance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.