1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you lend out your guitar gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 29, 2016.

1. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

I loan stuff to bandmates, or I loan my b gear.

2. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Totally agree with not loaning out the gear in the situation Good Texan describes.

For the most part, like others have said, I'm not opposed to lending out something to someone I know, trust, and consider a friend. Come to think of it tho, I've never had anyone ask me...at least not as an adult.

However, during a gig at my friend/band mate's college years ago there was a guitarist in a band before us who broke a string and didn't have a replacement. Before he could've even ask I offered up my guitar (pink paisley strat) for him to use. Saved the day for them. These days I'd really question anyone who doesn't have spare strings, but back then we were all just idiot kids starting out gigging so I didn't even think twice.

It's also easier if you're there and able to watch them use your gear. I certainly wouldn't let someone I don't know very well take my gear someplace where I couldn't observe them using it. Every situation is different.

3. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

My best friend of 15 years (well over half my life) and I swap gear occasionally for recording purposes, but usually we ask each other to be on the recording, on our own gear instead of trading.
    We built a guitar together the other year which is really the only joint custody item... well that and a vintage P Bass and Univox Bass Head/Cab that our old bassist left with us 11 years ago when he decided that he wasn't interested in music anymore.
    As for other situations... I don't like lending guitars as a rule (never will I lend the Ric), but if it's a band on the same bill I don't mind letting them use my amp (as long as they leave the volume knob in the same place) or maybe my modded to hell Epi SG.
    Pedals I usally have set up how I like them, so I'll mark one or two control configurations for my reference and I'm happy to lend those that I'm not using (or that I am, but we're on the same bill).

4. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Simple answer - No.

5. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

NO.

6. ChalmersCharles

ChalmersCharles Tele-Meister

I believe the standard deal with golf clubs is that you take the person's wife (or husband I guess) as collateral. Perhaps the same with guitar gear?

(Sorry, I didn't read the thread; it's probably been mentioned.)

CC

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

I still have my band's old drummer's tuner pedal because he won't call me back to come pick it up.

8. wahscoot

wahscoot Tele-Meister

Close buddies only.

9. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

I let folks play my amp at gigs or jams but my guitars are open tuned with mondo action so I rarely have to worry about that. Can't think of anyone I'd let take my stuff and go somewhere with it....but I also can't think of anyone that would ask.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  10. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

Not anny more. They never come back, and IF the do, ther'es always something wrong with it. Ex. if the batteries dead, a normal person bring it back with fresh ones! Right?

11. tele_jas

tele_jas Tele-Afflicted

I've got a handful of select friends that I'll loan any of my stuff to, even my Z-Wreck, guitars, and pedalboard.....

I've got others that I'll loan a few less important things to only (like a pedal or two).....

I've got some that I "just say no" to....

Some of this is based on how well I know them and I trust them with anything.... and some is based on the exact same thing, and I know how they treat their own equipment.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This old 146-year-old Martin?

13. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

No. I have a friend that's a touring folk artist in Australia and he visits the states every couple of years. He comes over and we always stay up till the wee hours playing out on the patio and carrying on. I give him one guitar to play (acoustic) and that is it. He plays a Martin at home but he still manages to always make me uneasy when he plays any of mine. So I don't let him and he always begs me and I just say no. It just makes me feel uncomfortable. So, I don't lend anything out anymore. When I had a garage full of amps I would lend out some speaker cabs but I got rid of all of those 3 years ago when downsizing my home.

14. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

I've offered use of my amp to other bands I've been on gigs with (usually to save time between bands, or if said band is touring w/o amps). I've loaned out a guitar in similar situations when a friend broke a string on a gig. As long as I'm there, no worries. I played a few dates overseas last year, and since we were touring with just our guitars we used the amps/drums of the bands we played with. We made sure to thank/buy a couple rounds for the guys loaning us equipment (the gigs didn't really pay squat). We also treated said equipment like it was gold. As long as I'm there, I don't have a problem. But in the OP situation, nope, not gonna happen.

15. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

It's ridiculous she made such a request.

16. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

I loaned my protege a Telecaster to take to college as a music major. He needed a good telecaster that he could rely on. He treats it like gold, and it is his main instrument. One day, I may give it to him.

[​IMG]

Absent someone like that, the answer is no, and I give them the number to the local brick and mortar to ask about renting a backline amp.

17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I do not loan my equipment to anyone--with two exceptions.

My best friend/drummer/producer/home studio co-owner has borrowed guitars and effects for recording. He knows I'm anal-retentive and vindictive (just kidding...maybe). They've always been returned in perfect condition, with one tiny exception--his dog sheds as much as he breathes, and he (the drummer, not the dog) had to vacuum my pedalboard before returning it. No biggie. I have also borrowed his guitar and bass--the former for performing, the latter for recording.

My teenage daughter has been dabbling with bass, mandolin and guitar--all of which I own, and have allowed her access to most of my guitars. I have only put two restrictions; I asked her to leave my Stratocaster and my 1980 G&L F100 alone (both are too expensive and sentimentally valuable) unless I am with her, and I have asked that she return any and all my guitars to my office/library/guitar room when any of her friends come over, because they may or may not be knuckleheads...the 1973 Ampeg Big Stud bass stays in her room--that thing would hurt the person before the person hurts it!
    I know she "gets it", because she told one boy who decided to bang away on/mistreat the bass, "Boy, you're gonna look mighty funny with that sticking out of your butt...and if I can't do that, Daddy will!"
    He put it back on the wall hanger pretty quickly.

Two separate occurrences illustrate why I don't let very many people have access to my guitars:
    Twenty five years ago, I had a room mate for one month. He and I played music together and were in a couple of different bands together, and he needed a place to stay. He offered a huge amount to pay me rent (it covered 90% of my mortgage payment!).
    We agreed to respect each other's guitars, amps, pedals and other property, but also agreed we would allow the other to play our instruments (at the time, I had about 7 guitars/1 bass and he had about 20 guitars).

One evening, I came home and all of my guitars were out of their cases, or sitting in their open cases, scattered about the den/jam room. He was restringing my G&L Nighthawk. I asked what he was doing...he said he didn't like the gauge and brand of strings I used, so he was changing everything to "his" brand...he had already finished four of the guitars, and was halfway done on the one in his lap.
    I am very proud that I didn't come unglued. I told him I needed $50. He asked why, and I said, "To buy new strings and an aggravation fee."
    I didn't renew his rental privilege the next month.

Another occasion was when I was recovering from a surgery, and a kid from my congregation was mowing my lawn in exchange for guitar lessons (I was getting the better end of this deal).
    He had made some improvements in his playing, but was terrible at best. During the lesson, I would let him play his guitar through my rig, and I'd use my secondary amp.

He had the opportunity to play at a jam that was set up for kids playing punk/hard rock/metal (which was his goal as a player). His amp was a cheap little solid state cardboard box (somewhat akin to the cruddy Esteban amps), which had very little volume and two tones--"meh" and "ugh". So he had the "wonderful" proposal that I would loan him my Telecaster, my '63-reissue Vibroverb and my pedalboard, so he would be heard (and be admired for the good equipment) at this jam session.
    I asked him if he had $50,000.
    Of course, he didn't...but then he said, "Wait, all that stuff cost $50,000?!?!“
    I said, "No, but I would need the money to bail myself out of jail, because I would beat you senseless if any damage was done to it."

I made him a compromise. I helped him set up his guitar properly (a reasonably ok no-brand Strat copy) and loaned him two decent cables and a distortion pedal that I didn't really like, and told him to see if they had a backline amp set up for the show.

After the jam session, he left the pedal in a bag on my front porch...the paint was chipped up and one potentiometer was completely sheared off...and he only returned one cable. Later, I tracked him down and he swore it wasn't his fault, that someone else at the show did it...and I said, "That's why I wouldn't loan you my stuff--you didn't have the decency to face me, offer to replace the damaged pedal or missing cable. You also didn't have the respect for my property to make sure it stayed out of harm's way...did your guitar get damaged? No, because you kept an eye on it...there's your free $50,000 lesson, kid."

callasabra and Ricky D. like this.
  18. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

Do you lend out your guitar gear?
    yes but not to guitarists

19. SuperPutman

SuperPutman TDPRI Member

Depends on what it is and how much it means to you. I leant out a $300 spotless guitar to a "friend" and when I got it back a month later it was tuned WAY too high for its own good, had a missing string and somehow was covered (front and back) with scratches and gouges. Plus, to get it back I had to drive 3 hours. Not something I'd do again without at least pointing out the condition prior and my expectations for when it's returned.

20. swany

swany Tele-Meister

No, however I'd make an exception if they were famous.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.