Do you lend out your guitar gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 29, 2016.

1. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Maybe to my musician brother or possibly a good friend who would look after it. After that then sorry the answer is no. I have been asked at jam nights etc. before or by bands who were playing at a venue before us and they sometimes seem put out by a refusal. At the end of the day I work hard to buy what I want, set it up as I like and look after it.

2. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I used to, but I learned the hard way. Loaned out my Strat, and an amp head to a friend to do a series of shows. He needed a HH Floyd guitar and couldn't afford to budget another guitar for a short run of shows. He was pretty good about his own gear so, I took a chance and trusted him. The the guitar came back.....unplayable. Filthy, covered with stickers, set up wonky, warped pickguard and the trem scraping the pickguard when engaged. I was pretty miffed to say the least. It took some doing to get it back to playing shape again, but I still need to replace the guard. Never, never again.....

3. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I know guys that lend their buddies gear and it always ends up bad. I would loan one of my friends one of my guns way before I would loan out music gear.

There isn't so much that can break on a gun. I don't hang out with nuts. Say a guy is a bow hunter and wants to go on a rifle hunt or normally hunts deer and want's to hunt turkey, or a guy has his CC and is going into a dangerous part of town. I know I am liable for anything one of my guns does but I wouldn't associate with people who would misuse a firearm. Say you got a nephew who wants to go out on a hunt with one of his buddies. I would lend out a 30-30 way before I lend out a guitar or amp. I been working in St. Louis not the nice part of town with another person we both have our CC. We just kept a pistol locked, loaded, and concealed right in a shared tool box. It's not like we didn't need it. Seen one guy chasing another running down the street then you hear a pop, pop. It's just that kind of town.

Of course I also don't associate with 99.9 percent of people most people normally would. You lend someone a firearm that shouldn't have one and they go do something bad with it. Yeah your going to be in a world of hurt.

4. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

No.

5. teletubby25

teletubby25 Tele-Meister

jakedog could not have put it any better period

6. barker

barker Tele-Meister

No no and no. Anyone cold enough to just outright ask to borrow your gear which can be very personal is a humongous red flag.

7. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

NO WAY ...and don't feel bad about it ....tell her to rent gear and that it's quite affordable

8. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I once loaned my old Tele Custom to a friend's son. He was a nice kid and I wasn't playing much at the time. I think he played it about 20 hours per day every day for a few months, before his parents bought him a guitar for his birthday and he returned my Tele!

Since then if any of my friends' or family members' kids need a guitar I just buy them one. :)

9. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Only if I never want to see it again. :p

I once loaned a beautiful electric-acoustic 4 string tenor guitar to a friend, since I wasn't using it at the time. He moved a couple months later, without telling me, and I never saw either again.

So no, never again, unless it were something I really didn't care about.

10. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Not a chance.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My immediate family can have anything of mine they want, so yes I would loan to them. As the old saying goes, none others need apply. I've told this story before, but I loaned my old Martin to a drummer (and a good guitarist) who lived across the street from me to use in a recording session. He took it out to Merle's (Haggard) when he lived here out by the river. Merle liked the guitar and didn't want to return it, instead offering to pay me for it. It wasn't for sale. I had a hell of a time getting my guitar back, learned a lesson, don't loan a guitar.

12. filmtex

filmtex TDPRI Member

NEVER.

13. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

If she does get offended, just tell her how much you paid for the gear and ask her if she would ever ask you to lend that sort of money to these people you don't know. When the answer is "of course not"...

Matt G likes this.
  14. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Only to my Brother and a *very* small circle of friends.

...or, as Jay Kay replied to Jeremy Clarkson when Jeremy asked to borrow one of his Ferraris...."Only if I can have a go on your Daughter..."

----

Is this another shining example of how undervalued music / musical equipment can be?

RoyBGood likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

That's mighty good hearted of you to feel bad saying no.
    One could reasonably be offended to have a stranger make such a cavalier request- in an email, even if they have no idea what that amount of gear is worth, they must have some sort of clue what's involved if they want you to lend the "pedals" along with the amps.

When I rarely lend gear it's for personal reasons more than practical.

16. Cam

Cam Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  17. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Not usually, but a friend was doing a day session at Fame Studios in Muscle Shoals a couple weeks back and wanted to borrow my Dano 12-string. How could I say no?

My 12-string has been recorded at Muscle Shoals!

18. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I would have delayed the response and told her that I delayed it so that my anger would pass and I could respond somewhat politely.

First, she chose to ask the question by email. It's puerile to me, but appears to be more acceptable to crybaby millenials and Gen Y. I would take offense at that and call her out for being too callow to talk about something like that face to face or by phone at the least.

Second, she asked to borrow it for someone else that you don't know or have no ability to evaluate trustworthiness or reliability. I infer there was no offer of a cash deposit or her serving as an indemnitor in case something happened, so she wanted you to assume all the risk of that deal.

Third, the request does not make sense. Who is worthy of playing in public at a fundraiser that does not have their own gear? Or at least have the knowledge and ability to rent additional gear that may be needed?

Fourth, there are far better options out there than borrowing gear from a disinterested third party. One is engaging someone with gear. Another is engaging someone that can procure and rent gear, if necessary. And all the options are much simpler and cleaner and leave an innocent third party with no interest in the outcome entirely out of the equation with no risk to himself.

You were nicer about it than I would have been and are surprisingly concerned about whether she was offended. If it were me, she would have been left worrying that she offended me.

19. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Remember the lesson of Prometheus Bound: no good deed goes unpunished.

RoyBGood likes this.
  20. Dustin_J

Dustin_J Tele-Meister

That's what rental companies are for. You're not in the wrong at all here as far as I can see.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.