1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you lend/borrow guitars ? (And why I do...)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Apr 22, 2012.

Do you lend or borrow guitars ?

1. Sure - I do both.

45 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. I only borrow.

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. I'm Buddhist - I only lend.

17 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. I would but have never had the opportunity.

11 vote(s)
    8.4%
  5. Uh - no.

24 vote(s)
    18.3%
  6. Not on your life.

23 vote(s)
    17.6%
  7. I have nothing worth lending.

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. Friends have nothing worth borrowing.

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. Let me get back to you...

6 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

I've lent amps out before but they never seem to.come back with the cables they left with

2. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Nope, not any more. I had decent luck, but some guys took advantage. The bad part is you never know when that's gonna happen.

My thought on the "players gotta play" thing is that if it's important, they'll find a way.

3. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've traded guitars with bandmates for short periods of time, but they were nothing of super high value (a few Squiers and MIJ Fenders)... I would be a lot more apprehensive of loaning out a $500 to 1,000+ guitar to someone I didn't "really" trust.

4. jb12string

jb12string Tele-Afflicted

Never really had much chance. Loaned a Mando out for a while, but the guy used it about as much as I did, which isn't much.

5. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

Can I go off topic for a second and ask what the red light is between the neck and the neck-pup? :')

Thanks,
    Ryan.

6. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

Yes.

Because if your fortunate enough to own more than one guitar. You should help your less fortunate friends out.

Seriously.. how many guitars can you play at the same time?

7. jas468

jas468 Tele-Meister

Had a similar arrangement, got an SG to fool around with for a while. It was hard giving that one back, gotta say.

Never got burned when lending, and got a chance to try a lot of cool guitars in the borrowing. I trust everyone to take care of my instruments the same way they trust me to take care of theirs.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Just a little sticker w/ a kid and a dinosaur on it.

Not my guitar though, so there it stays...

9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeh, I'm happy to lend guitars to the right people... or to play on mine ..

from 12 yr old kids to old pensioners.. if anyone shows an interest in guitars I'm happy to give encouragement in any way I can..

one mate has had one of my teles for a year or more..another mate dropped one on the tiles... ouch..

lending has it's moments..be prepared ...;)

Attached Files:

10. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I have enough guitars that I don't need to borrow... plus I don't play that much anymore anyway. BUT... I have come to the assistance of others who have needed a loaner for one reason or another. As long as the guitar comes back exactly the way it went out, I don't have a problem lending out.

11. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I was most of the way through this thread, then I realized that I let a guy I work with check out my 1960s Guild tube amp about a year and a half ago. I haven't seen it since, and we probably haven't talked about it in twelve months. I don't need it, but I'd like to have it back some day. In the meantime, it's taking up space in his house instead of mine.

I'd be happy to loan most of my guitars out. I have a few I'd loan out to just about anyone. I also have a couple I'd only loan out to people I really really trusted.

12. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

I have little enough space as is so cheaper stuff gets loaned out to one or two friends. Squire p-90 gtr, silverface champ, banjo guitar, bass amp....

13. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

I only lend to one friend.. that is all..

14. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

There are 3 guitar players in our band. We rotate playing bass, so whoever is playing bass gets to borrow my P Bass, since I'm the only one who owns both guitar and bass gear. I have a J Bass and Dano 6 string at home, so it's no big deal. The P has seen some action, so I don't mind if it gets dings or whatever. The SWR rig stays in the practice space.

I don't borrow, I don't really like playing other people's guitars and I don't like the responsibility that goes with it. A guy at work insisted that I take his 1965 Ric 330-12 home for the weekend and when I discovered how much it was worth I couldn't get it back in his hands fast enough lol.

15. rusticoaf

rusticoaf Tele-Meister

Just about anybody who knows me well enough to ask, I know well enough to lend one to. I've had good luck thus far. A couple times, I just forked over a guitar and said "it's yours"

16. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I can't loan my gear. With four guitar playing sons, my stuff is missing half the time.

17. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No. But I do give them away from time to time; I've never sold one. Also, I keep guitars hanging in my classroom that students are free to play. Those I loan out overnight, over weekends, and over breaks. That's different than loaning out my own guitars, though.

18. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I've loaned guitars to newer players in the workplace so they can try out electrics. Sold a MIM to one guy; kicked myself for a while but have since replaced it. I'm going to loan one with Keystones to a sometimes bandmate so he can try them out. Spread the love; smooth the road.

19. earoach

earoach Tele-Meister

Neither a borrower nor a lender be... that said, I loaned my Martin 12 string to a friend for use / practice. I did have to hunt him down 2 years later when I heard he was getting ready to move. :rolleyes: I have given away 2 guitars to friends who expressed interest, and my Frankencaster I put together ( as a result of stumbling across this forum :D) caught the eye of a friend of mine who was over this weekend to help me with scales and general playing (i am a rhythm player who wants to be a picker!) improvements. Gonna have to keep my eye on that one, tho!:p Of course, my new to me Gretsch is off limits to most all for quite a while. :cool:

20. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

So far, I've only lent guitars, never borrowed. I have borrowed amps on a few occasions, so I guess I'm not a Buddhist either... ;)

If gear were clothing, amps would be like T shirts, while guitars are more personal, more like socks...

I agree that you need to be careful about who you lend to. When you trust people, sometimes they break your heart. I know that lending stuff has broken my heart more than once...

I'd rather live in a world where I can trust people and get my heart broken every now and then, than a world where I don't trust anyone... :idea:

Personally I think ownership is over-rated. I would love it if Mesa Boogie would lend me a couple of Lone Stars for a few years, or even if Fender would lend me a few SuperSonics... While we're at it, lets see if anyone wants to lend me a new truck! ;)

But I'm not willing to use gear that doesn't work for me just to get an extra piece of gear added to the arsenal... In other words, I can be bought, but it has to be the right price! :oops: :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.