Do you leave the strap on your guitar in its case?

willietheweirdo

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Strap lock thread got me wondering: Do you take the straps off your guitars when you bottle them up? I'm guessing it depends on wiggle room and buckle placement... taboo?

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
i don't, it just doesn't fit (i only have flight cases, or form fitting ones, not the big g&g cases). i also use the same strap on every guitar. but i usually don't play with a strap, i play sitting down unless it's like rock n roll or room/stage space is an issue.

i guess it's not a good idea with nitro guitars. you don't know what type of synthetic additives are in the material of the strap, and if the finish might react poorly with them. with poly guitars it doesn't really matter much.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Nope, I use Grolsch washers which come right off.
I have a ritual when I am done playing.
I remove the strap and the washers and put them away.
I clean the strings with Dunlop System 65 String Cleaner.
I wipe the guitar down with Dunlop System 65 Polish and a microfiber.
The guitar goes back into its case until the next time.

20220223_033633333_iOS.jpg 20220921_145612841_iOS.jpg
20220117_133145829_iOS.jpg

Alamo

Doctor of Teleocity
Yes. Every Guitar I have, has its own Strap and it stays on.
all have some sort of Grolsch stoppers on 'em in red, blue , green and white* (can't find those anymore)

I want to grab a guitar and get going, not fumbling with strap length and stopper washers.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
Depends on the case. E.g. on my SG the strap kind of rolls up under the neck heel and it fits nicely, but my strat case is form fitting and doesn't allow for it. So I guess my answer is yes, if it will fit. And my straps don't have buckles, either, so I don't have to worry about metal scratching or banging against the finish.

Last edited:

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Is it safe to assume that guitars being put in their cases with straps removed are not relic jobs?
I'm not into the relic thing, but I leave straps on because I just don't care. Only on guitars that get gigged. Usually four or five of them have straps.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Same here. Straps come off before the guitar goes in it's case. I usually have two guitars sitting on stands and those will, of course, have the straps left on. I'm also very happy to hear that a dedicated strap for each guitar is not just another obsession of mine. Obviously we're all crazy. 🤔 🙂

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Same here. Straps come off before the guitar goes in it's case. I usually have two guitars sitting on stands and those will, of course, have the straps left on. I'm also very happy to hear that a dedicated strap for each guitar is not just another obsession of mine. Obviously we're all crazy. 🤔 🙂
Me too! Just put one down, pick one up, no fiddling with strap swaps.