Do You Leave Home Garage Open? Why?

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Always closed. Always.

The only exception is when we're out there doing something on the driveway, washing a bike, that sort of thing.

When we lived in North Minneapolis in the late 80's, early 90's, our garage was facing the alley. Due to the number of druggies and just plain opportunistic weirdos that cruised through back there on a fairly regular basis, when I did work on anything in the garage and had the garage door open, there was a revolver under a towel on the rolling shop stool positioned next to me. I didn't like living like that.

We're quite pleased to have moved 600 miles to the west of North Minneapolis back in 1993.

Only an idiot would have had an open garage door in that neighborhood.

By the same token, I never, ever, leave a car without locking the doors.

Archtops

Tele-Holic
When I’m working in the garage/shop I’ll keep it open. My last residence I would not do so.
I guess it depends on how comfortable one is with the neighborhood.

Skub

Poster Extraordinaire
If I'm working outside,the garage door will be open. If I'm out it will closed and locked,same at night.

I suppose it's symptomatic of how I live my life in general. I don't worry about things until I've cause to worry. I've lived here for 35 years now,my kids have grown up and moved on after spending their childhood safely playing in the street outside. We've never had a break in,never had anything stolen from the garage. Most of the time my motorcycles were parked up with the keys still in the ignition. I thought nothing of it.

Many may say that's foolish behaviour,but nothing has happened to cause me to change my mode of operation.

Geo

Poster Extraordinaire
Only open when doing the lawn work or some work inside the garage wanting extra light or occasionally to air it out.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I’ve always lived in residential neighborhood, single family homes with 2-3 car garage facing street. In every neighborhood, including current there are one or two homes with garage door open most all times, including late into the evening.

I’m wondering what the advantages are of this decision?
It might be about 2 years by now but we were in the backyard and there's a window, actually two windows but one that we could see from where we were into the garage, but it was blocked. It was just another one of those angels on my shoulder, but two of us decided to walk around and go to shut the garage door... What do I find but a guy doing a hasty about face, saying oh this isn't the address I was looking for, and he almost quoted ours with just a number change.... Thing is where he was there was no number, our numbers are out on the street and he had passed that, so he knew what he was looking at, and that just proved to me that he was a thief more so when I added up everything. He walked out and started to head down the street and a guy in a van that was parked across the street pulled in and I watched through the trees as they hooked up down the street. There they both went into "that house on the street" you know the one with the burned out Winnebago with people living in it and the sheriff there, every few months a few cars taking people on warrant charges... Before anybody jumps down my throat, I'm not even close to getting down on anyone or caring about somebody helping family members or friends with a Winnebago and a cord, especially as times have come to be but I've got no space at all for thieves. And this was actually two mobile/Winn-a-camper-a-bago's-- one of them burned out with siding gone so you could actually see inside it. It shouldn't be there for 2 years--you know fix it or junk it or whatever, put it in the backyard but not out right in the front. It's too bad they had a really huge beautiful tree that blocked the mess that their house was and they chopped it down to nothing so now you get to see it all. I don't think I would have gave that place a second thought except the thieving rats that tried to get into our garage.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Sometimes in summer I'll leave it open to air it out, it can get hellaciously hot in there. Don't know why else, unless you're doing some sort of work that requires going in and out.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's

Back in the early 70s my grandparents got a new garage door opener installed. About six months later after they were in bed they would hear the door go up, and then the door go down. My gradfather went down to check and the door was closed like it should be. No one in the yard. All the stuff was in the garage. Just weird. He checked it out in the daylight and the door and door opener all seemed to be working correctly.

Some months later they went away for the weekend in the winter. When they got back the door was wide open. Everything was still there, including all their stored potatoes that were thoroughly frozen through and ruined.

So my grandfather got in the habit of unplugging the automatic door.

They eventually figured one of their neighbors also got a new garage door opener and installers or by accident the radio codes were set to the same combination. I think my grandfather ripped that one out and got a completely different brand when he figured out the root cause.

I keep my own garage door closed to exclude mice from getting in the house and since the garage is tucked under part part of the house, the garage is a heating/cooling barrier.

Reminds me of a similar unusual story. In the '90s or early 2000s one of my co-workers and I both had Ford pickups and parked close to each other every day. Well one day I saw his lights flash when I clicked my remote and figured out that my remote keyfob would activate his truck as well as mine. I told my co-worker about it and he told me his truck did not have a remote or a security system, and unknown to me his truck's ignition was disabled a couple times at work, probly by my remote keyfob and he had to call a service to get his truck started. Apparently the part of the factory security system that disabled the ignition was installed on his truck but not activated until I clicked my remote. After that, I just used my key to lock and unlock my doors when his truck was close by.

Last edited:

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I never put my daily driver in the garage so really the garage overhead door might open four times a year.
With all the critters, the regular door never stands open long.
In the garage is $$$ woodworking tools, mechanics tools, my very valuable Peavey 4x12 cab, 1.5 motorcycles, 23 bicycles, 1000bf of reclaimed lumber, Col Sanders secret recipe, and some containers auctioned at area 51 a few decades ago.
Plus a bunch of other stuff.

Just in case the bear traps and pit traps don't stop the would be thieves, I always lock it up.
Funny though, my car is full of carpentry/ power tools and maybe a $1000 camera etc, but I never lock that in the yard.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have tools in the garage so it’s open when I’m working on a car or some other project in the driveway. I used to have a beagle who followed me everywhere. If I was working and the garage door was open he would be content to be tied in the front yard. If I closed the door he would bark until I brought him in. So if I wanted to have him out of the way I would leave the door up and tie him in the front . I was now free to come in and do what I wanted. As long as he saw the door open he was happy. I miss old Bowser

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I found out from my son that teens cruise the burb looking for open garage doors that have a fridge. They go in and steal the beer. It's called garage saleing. He did this once with a friend, scored a couple sixes and had a little party in the park. Years later he became friends with a college classmate only to find out it was his house that they scammed. He's a lawyer now, so I guess the theiving gene is stong.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Additionally, I try to minimize the amount that I open the main door. The garage is on the alley and the city has 1000 eyes.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
No, I keep it mostly closed. It will be open about a foot maybe in the Summer to keep things a little cooler though.

Here is the reason that you don't want it open in the winter....raccoons. My garage door on one stall has a broken arm right now so it doesn't open from the outside if closed all the way. I have to leave it up about 4 inches so it doesn't lock in place.

I started smelling what I thought was cat poop in the garage and assumed that was likely the case, but I can tolerate a stray cat hiding out...at least the mice will not be a problem, so I ignored it for weeks. Then one day I had to climb up into the loft area where I store parts and there was a pile of stool that looked like a band of homeless people were squatting. Raccoons leave human sized stools and now my loft looks like an outhouse at a construction site had been flipped.

Can't wait to clean that mess up while things are still frozen.