Do You Lap Steel?

Fret Wilkes

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I've been rampning up my skills on this late 1936 National New Yorker. It sounds fabulos through my Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb! Haven't used it with the band yet, or even with other players as I've been working hard on my intonation. I couldn't stand being the room with myself there for a while, so i wouldn't subject anyone else to my "skills" at that point. I'm getting better, if still pretty rudimentary, but the notes are sounding sweeter.

upload_2021-11-15_8-17-31.png

DOC DYA

Tele-Meister
Harley Benton Slider II for me too. Good enough to start with lap steel and try different tunings. Then, you might have to upgrade...

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve got an old late 30’s Gibson lap steel that has amazing tone. I haven’t played it in a few years . Time to dust it off

does your poor old elderly ignored lap steel need a new home?
I can provide thepoor old thing with the loving and care that it needs?

dh

Tele-Meister
Yep. Got a SX a few years ago. I play it in C6 tuning. It adds a great dimension to our covers of Eagles tunes as well as others that are more slide guitar oriented. Our audiences really like it and I get more compliments on my lap steel playing than anything else.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I got into lap steel three or so years ago, prompted by a Peavey Powerslide that was hanging on my local shop's used wall and too cheap to pass up. I quickly added an Eastwood Airline and Gretsch G220, to keep in different tunings. I'm mainly trying to learn C6, but I keep the Powerslide in Open E. It's a crazy looking instrument but sounds great, and is actually pretty craftily designed, as noted above.

1.jpg

Bob Womack

Friend of Leo's
After being inspired by Steve Howe of YES I started lap steel for a side skill back in 1976. By 2007 I was using it fairly regularly in recording sessions. I've followed the usual path looking for lap steel sounds and ended up at one of the usual termini of such a search:

02ricko2h.jpg

1940 Rickenbacher B-6

More, HERE.

Bob

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
I was recently gifted this Silvertone lap steel, supposedly from the 50s but I'm not sure which year. I gave it a couple tries but I don't think I'll pursue it.
View attachment 919787 View attachment 919788

That looks a lot like a valco baseplate for a string through pickup. I think someone just modded it with a different pickup, and put some round stock in front of the bridge to clear it.

Mojohand40

Tele-Afflicted
Lap steel is my main instrument these days..
Here is my latest acquisition; a nice old Magnatone Troubadour...I'm thinking 1949 based on the finish etc. Here's a video I made playing it. Just a great vintage tone

CPjvOT48KAo

runstendt

Tele-Meister
When I have time, which admittedly isn't often, I love to play Hawaiian style music on my lap steel. I had one of the previously mentioned Rogue lap steels for a while, and it was not a bad instrument, but I sold it after I got one made by Recording King that was simply a better instrument. They're fun to play, and I highly recommend giving it a shot. For what it's worth, I use a lap steel bar when I'm playing pedal steel because it is more comfortable for me personally, plus I like using the little "hook" on the end to get one or two strings at a time.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
does your poor old elderly ignored lap steel need a new home?
I can provide thepoor old thing with the loving and care that it needs?
Hah, no thx - I’ve had this thing for almost 30 yrs , I love it,but it has been. Neglected,your thread just reminded me to dust it off ,so thx

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I'm envious of all you guys with these beautiful vintage instruments. In my neck of the woods the vintage models that come up for sale are all super expensive. Luckily I don't think there's much that can go wrong when building even the cheapest lap steel, and my modern models all sound fine to me. But you guys got some lookers, for sure!

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
I'm envious of all you guys with these beautiful vintage instruments. In my neck of the woods the vintage models that come up for sale are all super expensive. Luckily I don't think there's much that can go wrong when building even the cheapest lap steel, and my modern models all sound fine to me. But you guys got some lookers, for sure!

I wanted a vintage instrument of my own vintage, but the only one I could really afford was the Fender - it was $300 something. (I don't really know what year it is, so I'm pretending.) The Silvertone was $250 (?), but that was a somewhat high price for that model.

D.H.