Do You Know Or Did You Ever Meet Someone Famous!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ira7, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I'll start:

When I worked with Jerry Della Femina in NYC (ad agency), I worked with a wonderful girl who was a paste-up artist. (The old days.) Gorgeous, and a heart of gold.

She eventually left the agency to seek fame and fortune in Hollywood. Her name was Gina Mastrogiacomo, and although she didn't achieve much of either, you definitely know her:

She played Janice Rossi, Ray Liotta's first mistress in Good Fellas. She also landed some other decent film and TV roles.

However, she passed away tragically young.

2. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I don't know if this qualifies as "famous" but I guess around 2007 or so there was a truck that broke down beside my house and in it were some cowboys on their way from one rodeo (San Angelo, Tx) to another rodeo (Ft Worth). It was a Sunday and I live in a small town (pop 950-ish) so they were in a jam. We pushed the truck into my driveway and I pulled and replaced their alternator (one of their friends brought a new one from town, 30 minutes away) so they could get back on the road. Fast forward a couple of years and my then wife was watching "The Amazing Race" and I recognized one of them. Turns out it was Cord McCoy and he was the driver of the truck I repaired. Kinda weird to see him on TV when I remember him sitting in my swing talking to me while I worked on his truck...lol

3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

HAH!

My wife watches that show every year, and I just read this to her:

She remembers him...said his partner on the show was his brother...and that they were very cool guys.

4. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

I remember them from that show. IIRC they came in second the first time around and came back for another show. The second time they were forced out by the hook-and-crook of other contestants. His brother's name is Jet.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  5. teletubby25

teletubby25 Tele-Meister

years ago my friend mike and i went to see motorhead and black sabbath. after show we were both trashed. walked outside and saw motorheads bus with lemmy standing there with his arms around four hot women. we walked up and asked for an autograph, he asked if we had a pen, we said no, i said i had one in my van and i'll be right back. when we got back he was gone. i guess he wanted to spend time with them more than us, hmmm, can't for the life of me figure that one out.

Ira7 likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yea, I remember my Scali Mcabe slove and J.Walter days..(Elle McPherson and others)..but, the one guy that was fun..was Ernest..I met in an airport..sitting next to me I did not recognize him.
    Then finally, yea. Was nice guy. Zoot Horn Rollo back in the day..
    My wife met an actress in restroom,..she did not know who it was until I told her who she was talking to.

7. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

My wife doesn't remember that. But she said that one of them said something like, "Holy Gravy!" all the time.

All I know is, when that show is on, she goes into the bedroom to watch and leaves me alone.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

When did you work at Scali? I knew a girl who worked in media planning/buying there.

9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I’ve met John Glenn, Jefferson Airplane, even including Papa John Creach, Skunk Baxter, Steve Morse, Bill Carson, Bill Schultz, Johnny Hiland & Will Ray. I’m sure there are more I’m forgetting…Oh I played about 10 seconds of music with John Sebastian once, while Big Al Anderson looked on, seemingly disapproving!

I went to high school with Jon Butcher if you consider him famous. He’s as nice a person as he is talented. Also from the same time Cliff Eberhardt, likely not known here another fantastic singer songwriter.

10. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I heard John Glenn plays killer blues!

11. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

I've gotten to meet Anna Nalick a few times. Her voice is really amazing. She does a meet & greet after her show. The best was the last time we saw her. She looks at my Rush shirt and says- Oh nice! Turns out she used to sing in a band that played Rush songs. She said to us- Who better to hit all of Geddy Lee's high notes than a teenage girl. Yep, you gotta love Anna!

Attached Files:

• anna.jpg
      anna.jpg
      File size:
      40.6 KB
      Views:
  12. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Famous people I've met, in order from most to least pleasant:
    Rick Kelly of Kelly Guitars (he's famous here!)
    Joe Naylor of Reverend Guitars (ditto)
    David Tennant (Doctor Who)
    Jack Palance
    Billie Piper (Doctor Who)
    Kevin Cronin (REO Speedwagon)
    Al Gore (to be fair it was a handshake in a line, but he really was robotic)
    Steve Kroft (60 Minutes)
    Lou Ferrigno

13. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Scotty Anderson!
    (guitarist's guitarist)

Saw in a little dive. Nicest guy, talked w him several minutes

14. blkpwdr

blkpwdr Tele-Meister

One sat morning I was wkg a sat shift,in Calabasas,CA went for my morning walk to the "Commons" a big out side mall.Got some coffee and headed for the book store, (rough day) walked in and low and behold there was Slash couldn't belive my eyes,he was with his son...so I approached him real careful,being with his kid and all that.turns out he was nice,we talked a bit and I shook his hand.saw him a bit later with his wife shopping it was early am. (35 yrs with ATT)

15. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I worked in sound reinforcement and tour preproduction in the 90's and early 2000's in NYC so I met and worked with a ton of folks there. I also bartended and waited tables in midtown Manhattan during that same time and far beyond (until late 2008), so I had more than my fair share from that gig as well. Notable folks in no particular order are Burt Reynolds, Stevie Wonder, Little Stevie, Bill Murray, Chris Childs, Scott Weiland, Johnny Colt, Will Lee, most of Skynnrd, Red Dog from the Allmans, Roberta Flak, Ron Howard, Luther Vandross, and lots of others.

16. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

My dad owned a cab in NYC, and in the early 60s, he picked up Ed Sullivan.

And he tipped him a dime.

And remember that even in the 60s, a dime was a really lousy tip.

Big tuna likes this.
  17. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Must have been some good restaurants!

18. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of the music folks were at the studio where I worked with them. My first restaurant gig in NYC in the late 90's was Planet Hollywood when it was still hot and was still in midtown. Completely forgot about Arnie and Gretsky from there. Lol.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I ran a parking garage in the French Quarter (actually, ran several different ones) and in the one I ran for a while, Pete Fountain was a daily (contract) customer. He didn't ask that his car be kept real handy where it could be pulled out in ten seconds, but since he tipped me and my staff so well, we wanted to show him maximum favor. This was in the early 1970s. He'd tip each of us Five Dollars on just about every day that was even sort of a holiday. I had a pretty young black teenager working "post". She'd greet the customers and put the ticket on the incoming (no contract) car and hand them the stub (and make sure they didn't abscond with their car keys). She was there a couple months and finally turned to me and inquired: "Who is he?" She didn't recognize the name, so I told her, imagine Louis Armstrong was white, played clarinet, and was still among the living. She wasn't much on music, I guess! :^)

20. creading

creading Tele-Holic

Played guitar for about two minutes with Bob Weir at the Ibanez display NAMM 1978. Leon Russell inadvertently tripped my wife on the way into the Norlin hospitality room at that same NAMM show. Met Jerry Garcia at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach -really nice down to earth guy. Mostly just brief encounters with folks I was listening to at the time.
    My buddy just ran into Michael Martin Murphy at a hotel in Wyoming. Saw him carrying numerous guitars to his car and asked if he needed any help.They chatted a bit then finished loading, Murphy thanked him and gave him a CD.

In the non-musical realm, my parents used to know Jack Nicklaus (golf) and Woody Hayes (football) and as a kid I was around them some.

Oh, nearly forgot... Bill Monroe at the Norco bluegrass Festival in the mid-70's, chatted with Kenny Baker (fiddle extraordinaire) while Bill put on a mandolin symposium.
    Got to meet and wish Leo Fender happy birthday at another festival where Merle Travis, from the stage, pointed out Leo in the crowd to let everyone know it was his birthday (he was the older man sitting on a blanket to my immediate left) I wouldn't have had a clue who he was had it not been for Merle....in the 70's I was not very Fender knowledgeable

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    fuffydingo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.