Do you have names for your guitars?

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I think if a name comes naturally, or maybe there's a story behind the name, sure. Lot's of snark here towards those who name their guitars, but Gibbons, Harrison, BB King, Willie Nelson, EVH, etc. all have had names for some of their guitars, so who cares?
I've tried, but felt I was working at it too hard. Closest I got was "Casper" for my Olympic white Tele w/ mint guard, but meh. So, it's just "Tele". My JM looks like what Boba Fett would play, if he played guitar. I thought about "BF", but that's dumb too. So, it's just "JM".
Anyway, I would if I could. Maybe someday something will emerge, but not going to go searchin'.
Ok, if I were a music legend like those guys AND I had a particular guitar I had played throughout my illustrious career, sure, name away. But my secondhand Eastman that I've played at one open mic, and my parts tele? I'm gonna call them Thelma and Louise with a straight face? Yeah, nope! :)
PS I don't really care what others do, but OP asked a question on a free forum.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Ok, if I were a music legend like those guys AND I had a particular guitar I had played throughout my illustrious career, sure, name away. But my secondhand Eastman that I've played at one open mic, and my parts tele? I'm gonna call them Thelma and Louise with a straight face? Yeah, nope! :)
PS I don't really care what others do, but OP asked a question on a free forum.
“2nd hand Eastman at one open mic” is pretty specific. It’s safe to assume no one else would either. : )

kuch

Tele-Holic
Four guitars

Honey, my telecaster in honeyburst
Sienna, my siennaburst partscaster
Amber, my les paul in, you guessed it, amber burst
and my USA CU24 PRS. which is whale blue, and nameless......

Maybe orca? Or bluey? dunno. nothing's stuck so far and its been 8 years

got one for you, what about wailer (whale-er).... ;)

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
I'm on the fence regarding this. It feels weird to give a "thing" a name, and I never did it. But when I started building these "things" it becomes slightly more personal, because, there is so much time, effort, and emotions involved when building them, that you bond maybe a little more, than buying the stuff.
Same with songwriting. Although my songs may be not world class, some of them are very dear to me and more so, than some legendary tunes from famous musicians.

I find myself looking for potential model names, that may look good or sound good (to me :)), in case, I would go into production. I do not plan that, but, the thought is intriguing, as it is to become famous or doing stadium tours, when you have your band going, although you know, the odds are all against you. But the dream is not.

So, I have some names on a list, in case, I built so much, I need them to distinguish them.

I have this guitar, I call the Dragon Scout:

IMG_20191205_222244.jpg

This is the Tiger Scout:

IMG_20211121_134616.jpg

The Sport Scout

IMG_20190212_205550.jpg

The Big Chief on the left and the "aino" (or Koi, not sure yet) on the right:

IMG_20220501_195409.jpg

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I call my Tele “Dammitt”…

as in Dammitt, why did you play that?

What were you thinking Dammitt?

And the often used Dammitt, I hate that song!

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
I play them for a while and see what pops into my mind when I look at them or think about them…yes, some are named after their color/finish. I never said all the names were clever.

-Pinstriped Telecaster: Big Tex

-62RI Stratocaster: Fiesta Red

-G&L F-100: Brownie

-72RI Telecaster Deluxe: Mocha Todd* (because of the color and the big headstock)

-Fender F250 acoustic: First Baby

-Ampeg Big Stud Bass: Mr. Cosmic (that was painted on the case in red fingernail polish when it was given to me; the previous owner was going for a Bootsie Collins vibe)

-Epiphone Les Paul Junior: Junior

-Epiphone Viola Bass: Ms. Davis*

-Dean Chrome G: CPV (chrome plated vibe)

-Dean VX: Tiny (because it’s big)

-Airline Archtop acoustic: Opal Faye (after my grandmother, she was elegant and unique but badly abused and somewhat broken, just like this guitar)

A few were named after the people who gave them to me:
-Dorado by Gretsch 12-string acoustic: Sister Janine (a lady from our congregation)

-Alvarez Classical: Miss Sheila (a sweet old coworker)

-Fender F270CE Acoustic: Uncle Joe (he was an honorary uncle, now sadly deceased)

Others, which have left the herd:
-Danelectro DC3 Pro: Dano McGreeney

-G&L Nighthawk: Blackie

We also name our cars…same thing—we see what their personality is and then name them.

*bonus points to you if you get the joke

Last edited:

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
72DDE133-6783-4EC3-BCC0-82ADD2629E1E.jpeg
9F8EB9B1-91C5-474A-8114-07591ED891A4.jpeg

Call my main guitar Esme, named after one of my dogs. Because they’re the same color, obviously.

I had another one for Max the other dog, but downsized and preferred the other guitar. When funds allow, I’ll get another Max one, I like white guitars.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Kinda, but not very creatively. The one with the red stripes is Stripe, the Andy Summers-ish one is Andy. And I mostly just use those to refer about them to the few people who know what they are -- or in my head.

I have been calling my blonde body/black pickguard/maple neck tele with the usual tele pickups "Stan" as in Standard Issue.

I have named vehicles in the past but the only ones that stuck were for odd ones. My new vehicles seem to banal to have names so they just get called "the truck" and "the van."

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

I named one of my two Telecasters once, in jest. I couldn't remember anything other than that as I started typing this.

But, I just did, and I also remembered why I named it. Because of TDPRI and (I think,) a similar thread.

Terrapin Bob.

But, I can't remember which one I gave the name to...

Pax/
Dean