Do you have names for your guitars?

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My homebuilts have names: Simple J. Malarkey; Popeye; Philo; Lester; Nonch Tidric; Kilroy; and Uncle John
IMG_20220206_101356508.jpg

Last edited:

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I've got:

CS '51 Tele = Virginia
CS 60s Strat = Marvin
60's LP = Cookie
Gibson 335 = Red Eyes

Curious to know and as like with BB King's Lucille, associated stories behind the names.

-Shoe
This is about the 3rd thread I've read about this topic on this forum. And my answer is still heck no! As a matter of fact I find the practice of naming guitars cringey and I am embarassed for practitioners of this.

Last edited:

Frontman

Tele-Holic
In the Army I was lucky enough to get security gigs at concerts. I remember hanging out back stage with Alabama, and noticing the roadies packing their instruments. All of them were named, though the only one I remember now is “Old Blue.” My own guitars don’t have any names, except for a couple troublesome ones which I sometimes all 4 or 5 letter words.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
No, never have. But I do refer to one parts Strat as my "Gregg Rogers" which I suppose is accurate since the body was made by Gregg and Allparts neck finished by him. I only use that designation to my wife and to a friend/old bandmate who helped me cobble it together. I've occasionally referred to another as "Blue", since it's a parts Strat that is, well, blue.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have nothing against the idea, and I sometimes name cars/motorcycles, but only when a name suggests itself. It never really has with my guitars. It doesn’t always happen with vehicles, either. My everyday ridin’ motorcycle has always been “the Honda.” Now that I have two Hondas, it has become “the red Honda.” On the other hand, my pickup truck is named “Brad.”

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I think if a name comes naturally, or maybe there's a story behind the name, sure. Lot's of snark here towards those who name their guitars, but Gibbons, Harrison, BB King, Willie Nelson, EVH, etc. all have had names for some of their guitars, so who cares?
I've tried, but felt I was working at it too hard. Closest I got was "Casper" for my Olympic white Tele w/ mint guard, but meh. So, it's just "Tele". My JM looks like what Boba Fett would play, if he played guitar. I thought about "BF", but that's dumb too. So, it's just "JM".
Anyway, I would if I could. Maybe someday something will emerge, but not going to go searchin'.