Do you have music?

Skub

Poster Extraordinaire
I used to be precious about music and photos,but these days I've begun to let everything go. It's only stuff. This year I've had the misfortune to clear out three houses belonging to relatives who died. 90% of what they probably considered treasured possessions went in the skip. We hang onto too much stuff and if we don't offload and declutter,then family members certainly will.

I used to have a huge collection of LPs and singles,but I've given them all away over the last few years. Everything is available on the internet now,if I want to listen.

bottlenecker

Friend of Leo's
I used to be precious about music and photos,but these days I've begun to let everything go. It's only stuff. This year I've had the misfortune to clear out three houses belonging to relatives who died. 90% of what they probably considered treasured possessions went in the skip. We hang onto too much stuff and if we don't offload and declutter,then family members certainly will.

I used to have a huge collection of LPs and singles,but I've given them all away over the last few years. Everything is available on the internet now,if I want to listen.

Everything is not on the internet, and it doesn't sound good.

Dead peoples' stuff will always be a ton of work for someone, no matter how valuable it is.
The records would be the easy part for my family. They just have to go to a record store about 2 miles away, and the store will give them money. I happen to know they'll buy the CDs too. They'll even come out and box them up and haul them away.

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
when your hard drive crashes?
I think I am closer to crash than any of my HD, so I'm not worried.
On certain particular stuff, portable Hard Drive.

I had thousands of vinyls. Started buying in 1975 trough 90's. Then started buying CD's massively until 2000 or so.
Eventually I had some personal issues, and sold everything. The same with books and VHS/DVD's.

At this point I have become more pragmatic, and look for the simplest easier way you all know, streaming Platforms. 10 bucks/month and you're done.
I don't need to feed my fetishist side anymore by owning those pre-digital True Treasures.

I miss that time when you buy an LP, and play it again and again. Long Plays had the perfect structure to me. Normally 4 to 6 songs each side.
You could see where it was recorded, Producer, Musicians, pictures...
I will never forget first time I heard The dark side of the Moon when released. This impresses a 70's 10 years old child. Science fiction.

Let love rule.

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
Bought a CD at the Los Lobos merch table last week - might well get one from John Hiatt or Jerry Douglas this week.

I've contributed a bunch to Dylan's retirement fund, but what good has that ever done?

D.H.

goonie

Friend of Leo's
The history of popular music, on demand. Oh yeah, I love Spotify. Does it sound as good as my old LPs? Honestly, I don't know and I don't care. All I know is it sounds plenty good to me and I can play any song or album I want at any time, home, work or car.

Oxidao

Tele-Holic
motor-concorde-p_750x.jpg

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I like CDs too and almost exclusively listen to a large CD library I've accumulated over the years. I do continue to consider the switch to streaming and digital files simply from a cost perspective. Even using a premium hi def/hi resolution option like Tidal is only [email protected] ($240 annually). If I buy more than 20 new CDs a year then Tidal has paid for itself, not including the cost of a decent DAC.

El Serio

Tele-Meister
Hundreds of cd's and still buying. All are also on my phone and computer and a backup hard drive. I listen to the cd's in the car. Working around the house/yard I use a Bluetooth speaker with my phone.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Music I really care about is on vinyl. Maybe 150 albums? Buy maybe 5-10 a year. Original pressings (less compression plus I absolutely DETEST that stupid 180g vinyl).

Everything else is in the Cloud or streamed. If the Cloud goes down we have much bigger problems than music. And Cloud/streamed is more than adequate for daily background soundtrack. I’m old enough to know (not believe, know) that the current streamed quality is WORLDS better than cassettes, for instance.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Sometimes new things just aren't very good. Some old things are just better.

Do you know how much physical space the albums on my phone's SD card took up? I do, because I used to drive around with Caselogics full of CDs and tapes.

Also, just because you digitized something doesn't mean you have to throw away the CD or LP.

Also, you may be happy you digitized those obscure LPs when your house floods. Ask me how I know. (For western US residents, sub out "floods" with "burns down")

Ron R

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I still have a lot of vinyl and CDs, but I also have a TON of digital music. And yes, it's on 2 external hard drives (1 primary, 1 backup). I've been contemplating selling off the vinyl that I've already converted to digital. Or just keeping the ones that are really special to me. They take up a lot of space and they are a pita when moving.

Ron R

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
CDs are not guaranteed more than a few years. the very best ones, maybe 10 years. maybe more... maybe less. museums have been finding this out
I've got CDs I bought when they were a brand new idea. They all play just fine. I suspect any loss of functionality is related to improper care and/or storage.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
2,000 CD's.

About 20% have more than one album on them.

I sold my vinyl 10 year's ago.

I try to keep technology to a minimum, as I don't trust it...

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I still buy cd's if it is something I want to buy, I do not buy downloads for the most part. I do stream hi def all the time though. I also have about 70 gigs of music that I ripped from my cd's.

bottlenecker

Friend of Leo's
I like CDs too and almost exclusively listen to a large CD library I've accumulated over the years. I do continue to consider the switch to streaming and digital files simply from a cost perspective. Even using a premium hi def/hi resolution option like Tidal is only [email protected] ($240 annually). If I buy more than 20 new CDs a year then Tidal has paid for itself, not including the cost of a decent DAC.

For $20 a month, I could buy 48 not new CDs a year, and I'd own them. Tidal might be worth it to me, if I could get 24/96 quality consistently. I think that's the idea, right? Still, I'd rather own it. I just like to pay for something once and be done.