DO YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY .......

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by brookdalebill, Mar 27, 2020.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Do you have difficulty learning and playing songs/styles you don’t really like?
    There are common, popular tunes I just don’t like, and though they are within my skill set, I just never put the effort into learning them.
    For me, things like Orange Blossom Special, Under The Double Eagle, Cotton Eyed Joe/Schottische (I’m in Texas), Beer Barrel Polka, yada yada, just make me want to yak (hurl).
    Sorry.
    I try to be a pro, I try to go along/get along.
    I don’t whine when Brown Eyed Mustang from Margaritaville by Morning gets requested.
    Anyways, fellow Band Wagoneers, are you good at delivering the, uh, goods?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  2. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

I’ll learn them and up to a point play them. I told my current band that I would only play a Doobie Bros. Song, Brown Eye Girl or Don’t Stop Believing. Choose one. They chose Journey. As Jesse Dayton sings “I may have to do it, but I don’t have to like it.”

nojazzhere and brookdalebill like this.
  3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you like a song, you really want to learn it ... if you don't like it, you have to bite the bullet and learn it anyway... professional players can do it ... amateurs don't have to ..

4. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

That's hilarious!

Driver3, SPUDCASTER, SuprHtr and 4 others like this.
  5. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

No, I don’t play songs I can’t stand. Life is too short. But my tolerance is pretty high.

6. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I play with our church band, and occasionally I don’t feel the love for songs chosen for a specific week. They do seem to be harder to learn when don’t feel the love for the song.

haggardfan1 and brookdalebill like this.
  7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

The fans are my customers , they come to see me because I play music that they want to hear … so yes .

8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

No difficulty learning but playing certain songs still makes me cringe. (GB band tunes).

SuprHtr, 8trackmind and brookdalebill like this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I used to work really hard to learn songs that a bandmate loved or wrote, even if I detested the song.

When I realized they never did the same for me, I quit doing this.

Now, the only songs that I play/learn but I don’t like are ones requested by my best friend/drummer/producer or requested by my daughter...because both of the return the favor.

10. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

There are songs I never liked but have had to play anyway, for other singers. (I pick and choose what I sing.) I do try to play well on everything, but I'm sure on some songs it comes across as workmanlike or worse.

The first working band I was in did Cotton Eyed Joe/Schottische at every d*** gig. I hated it, I thought it just sounded so cheesy on guitar.

A few more recent ones that come to mind: All My Exes, Elvira, Swingin. I actually don't mind Amarillo by Morning, our bandleader sings it well.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    8trackmind and brookdalebill like this.
  11. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

There are a lot of pros here, always have been. I respect it, but you have the string player's lament. We casual players don't have that problem. It is great fun to play music with people, but it gets tricky when money is involved. The joy of a casual player is to never play songs they do not like.

I've been on stage a few times and loved it. I understand and admire the effort of those giving a live performance.

tery and brookdalebill like this.
  12. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Amen! :lol:
    I go through the same thing sometimes.

8trackmind and brookdalebill like this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There a few “warhorses” I still like playing, too.
    Amarillo, Silver Wings, Mama Tried, Kansas City, and
    Cowboy Rides Away leap to mind.
    The “cute” instrumentals are what tortures me.
    The hot lick, showoff, “look at me” tunes are the ones I can’t bear.
    Perversely, perhaps, I don’t mind The Chicken Dance.
    It’s kinda fun to watch a crowd of people behaving in such an insipid/inane manner.

14. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

No, I love to play. A bad day learning a song I hate is still 100% better than the best day at work. I was in a band that covered Donna Summer, if the crowd is shakin' that collective @$$, I'm doing my job!
    But honestly, I feel ya bro and while I'm not always comfortable, I do get to play. That's as good as it gets because it ain't gonna last forever.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I played in a band a few years ago with another guitarist who was amazing, but if he didn't like a song, he just wouldn't learn it. He refused to do anything by The Doors, on some kind of "moral principle". He didn't like The Beer Barrel Polka, so he refused to learn it. We played a party, and I did BBP with the bassist and drummer and myself.....and the crowd went CRAZY!!!! What I had to convince him of was that I didn't do it as a "spoof", but as a serious, legitimate song.....treat it with respect, even if you're being humorous, and it will come across.
    There are LOTS of songs I don't REALLY want to do, but sometimes I do, because it's the "right" thing to do. At my "ideal" gig, the audience appreciates my pulling out a few "oddball" songs and doing them SO WELL that they don't care it's not Freebird or China Grove. Unfortunately....not every gig is "ideal". :(

haggardfan1, teletail, Skub and 2 others like this.
  16. 8trackmind

I did a class reunion recently, "Wooly Bully" was not on my radar as a wannabee well rounded musician. But you know what, we had some exhausted old ladies that acted like teenagers after that bit of stupidity. I was totally against doing the d@mn song but learned it anyway. (A 5 minute job)
    It kicked @$$ and the crowd loved it.

17. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Holic

Sometimes playing songs you don’t really like can be accomplished in different ways. For example, we used to do a version of cotton eyed joe where we did a barrage of key changes. And a song like Amarillo by Morning- if there was a different version we did that - example Kelly Schoppa’s version instead of George Strait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’m 70. The memory stick inside my head holds 20 songs, tops. If I learn a new one, it pushes one I haven’t played in a while out. Learning a song I don’t like would push two out. I can still go back to my song book and relearn one. That makes for 21, at least for a while. I respect and admire you guys in cover bands who play 40 songs regularly and can still take requests. I couldn’t do that when I was 30.

19. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I don’t really have a problem with playing the Mustang Sally’s of the world. I’ll flip the radio station immediately when I hear one of them come on the air (and sometimes piss my wife off), but on a gig I don’t really mind too much. That’s just part of the deal.

That said, I do have to get in the right mindset to really deep dive into a tune like that when working it up. Seems like a lot of those tunes tend to get bastardized more often, so those are the tunes I’ll really try to play just like the original. Kinda makes them more tolerable to me to approach them that way.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. 8trackmind

Absolutely! A singer I play with loves the Dylan version of Watchtower. As a guitarist it's tough to resist Jimi, so...the drummer and I conspired and from the solo on, its Stairway to heaven, even the bonham drum bits. Jimmy!
    Call it musical prostitution if you must, but it is what it is.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.