1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you have an always on pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tele-nova, Aug 16, 2020.

1. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I played in hard rock bands for some years using a SF Twin. The TS-9 was always on. I've done that with other Fenders also if playing rock, but that Twin was the workhorse for me in terms of Fender.

2. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Barbershop V2, as a boost/preamp, is great for electric, fingerpicking, slide and lap steel.

I keep the controls at 1:00 o'clock and it is on most of the time.

YMMV

D_Malone likes this.
  3. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

T-Rex Fat Shuga boost/reverb. My Princeton has neither, so it's a good fit as an always-on for that setup; monosodium glutamate. I run it with the cream knob just barely cracked. There's an internal trim knob to increase or decrease the factory volume setting, but it's pretty good as-is.

Sounds good with a Bad Monkey or Blues Driver pushing it, and with all of those with the gain minimal or off and level dimed or close to it. It *would* sound good with my Boss MIJ GE-7 EQ if that thing weren't so buzzy.

I got a multi-voltage wall adaptor to run it; otherwise, it eats a 9 volt battery in about an hour.

Here's a clip by a guy who talks about it (only one I could find):

4. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

a 1964 Fender Reverb unit

Cali Dude likes this.
  5. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

Tuner. Nobody wants to hear me play anyway.

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

No, but I have an always on me pedal at gigs and band practice: Korg Pitchblack.

7. jonhart

jonhart Tele-Meister

I recently picked up a J Rockett Archer Ikon with the idea of leaving it on when playing my Strat. I have it before a KoT clone running into a ‘66 Super Reverb. The result? Glorious!

I’ve been running the amp a bit hotter, around 5 or 6 on the volume (using an attenuator of course because most venues don’t want that amp above 2). It nails the sound I’ve had in my head for years!

I’ve used the Archer with my Teles a bit, but it can be a little nasally. It works great to put the Strat in the mix though. I definitely think it will stay on for that.

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

Boss CS-2 & Malekko E600B.

9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Timmy

Electric Warrior likes this.
  10. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Funny you should post the question. For 'always on' I've been pretty much using my NUX Atlantic for reverb, switching between Plate and Spring. Seem to miss it if it isn't there.
    Also, surprisingly maybe, my recently GGG tremolo kit pedal has a built-in boost. I seem to really miss that if it isn't there too. Can't really explain how that is an improvement over just turning the amp volume up, but I've become attached.

11. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Reverb is always on, Catalinbread Topanga, as none of my amps have built in reverb (except the digital reverb in my Super Champ X2). I do like my Tone Press on more than off, mostly clean blended but a bit of compression added.

12. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Bumping this excellent thread. I always have some kind of clean boost on as a tone sweetener, sometimes will go through phases where I always have a slap back delay on. Right now my Always-On is a Fender Tre-Verb, both the spring tank and a very mild bias tremolo.

I also have a Tumnus mini with the gain turned low on about 90% of the time.

I'm most curious to hear what other boost options people like best into clean Fender amps at home volumes.

There's been a lot of DOD 250 love, for example, but I've also heard people say that pedal sounds better into a slightly dirty amp....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.