1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you have an all time favorite guitar solo that was played on a Telecaster?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by telemandave, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nice, you just made my think of this, and how much they kind of sounded like the Eagles with the harmonies at the time...

2. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

Mellow Down Easy - Mike Bloomfield

3. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

Just listened to Albert Collins Ice Picken album. He had a killer biting tone. What a great blues man.

texastengu, Jakeboy and billgwx like this.
  4. trep53

trep53 TDPRI Member

Most anything Steve Cropper did...but I really enjoy the solo in "'Mo Onions". Booker T & the MG's had such a clean sound.

5. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

I agree with misty on the Led Zep Good Times Bad Times. It feels like Jimmy was trying to cram so much into a guitar solo on a 2:47 song he just wrings its poor neck.

I also agree with Albert Collins and Pete Anderson. Albert always reminded me of buddy guy with a tele and Pete just knows how to hold back and really manipulate a tele into its unique sounds.

texastengu and Jakeboy like this.
  6. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

Pete Anderson on the first 2 Dwight Yoakam albums, is what got me started playing a Telecaster. Those killer tele tones he had on those albums got me hooked. In some ways, those 2 albums brought back the twang of the telecaster in my opinion. 80's country had gotten away from it and then here comes Pete Anderson with Dwight and saved us all. :) Pete Anderson is also a great blues player.

7. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Probably less known, but so soulful:

It's Derwin "Big D" Perkins with Jon Cleary who has some time to stretch out and a great band to float his boat.

Henry, texastengu, Swervin55 and 4 others like this.
  8. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting that nosuch. That big dude is really good and really soulful. Take a listen to this guy guys. Its worth the time. The tele looks sooooo small in that mans hands, but he is smoooooth. :) Really good starting at 3:15.

Henry and nosuch like this.
  9. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

I fell in love with the tele tone before I was old enough to know what a tele was. Responsible parties included James Burton's solos on Workin' Man Blues, Lonesome Fugitive, and Hello Mary Lou; Don Rich's work on Buckaroo; and Luther Perkins' rhythm parts on Big River, Hey Porter, Folsom Prison, etc. That was simply THE sound of Country Guitar. As I got older and discovered that rock guys used them too, I was sold.

10. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I believe it would be Heartbreaker on the second Zeplin album

I use to think it was a Les Paul but I think it has been revealed / confirmed to be a Tele

Hotel California also a fab solo ....... on a Tele

Gary

11. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

Telecasters sound great for any kind of music. They are the complete guitar in my opinion. Jimmy Page did some great stuff on a tele. I wish he had used it more on later albums.

12. WhitW

WhitW TDPRI Member

Bruce Springsteen playing prove it all night live in 1978.

13. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

Lots of people don't realize that Bruce is a good guitarist. He can play.

14. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

Oh my God, I can't believe no one has mentioned Brent Mason. He has been doing the hot tele pickin on everybodys stuff you hear over 20 years. I have stolen soooo many of his licks, Mostly from his Alan Jackson stuff, but he can play anything. Probably one of the most versatile guitarist in the world. Brent Mason, one of the all time great pickers for sure. What say you?

texastengu and TwangToInfinity like this.
  15. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

That's a great one. There's a video of the studio session with Dave having his mind blown by Albert.

TeleRooo likes this.
  16. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

I've seen Bill Kirchen live. Don't miss him if he comes to town. Same with Pete Anderson. I once booked NRBQ for a private event (1991) when big Al Anderson was still in the band. Holy crap could that guy play a tele.

texastengu likes this.
  17. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Afflicted

When I was kid, I got the Yardbirds single of "I'm a Man" and I loved the guitar on that, but more so the flip side which was "I'm not talking", and that playing by Jeff Beck just could have been the track that got me into electric guitars and the sound of Teles.

TeleRooo and texastengu like this.
  18. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

Mike Stern's "Mood Swings" from Upside Downside. The master of tension and release when he still liked to rock out. Plus, maybe the last best thing Jaco did.

Rory Gallagher's slide playing on "Jukebox" on the Jerrry Lee Lewis in London record.

Just about anything on Roy Buchanan's That's What I Am Here For or Livestock.

Just about anything anywhere by Albert Collins.

TeleRooo and texastengu like this.
  19. DrBoBo

DrBoBo TDPRI Member

Definitely Amos Garrett on Midnight at the Oasis sung by Maria Muldaur.

20. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's

The first one that came to mind for me is Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughan on Country Boy Rock and Roll.

Albert Colins on T-Bone Shuffle off of the Showdown album with Robert Cray and Johnny Copeland.

These two may not be the greatest but I like them a lot.

I also agree, although Stairway To Heaven gets mocked it still friggin' rocks!

texastengu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.