Do you have an acoustic guitar and do you play it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ricardo1912, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Since it's not mine, I don't count it, but my wife has a Taylor 314CE that sits in the living room on a stand. When something I like comes on the TV, if I ask nicely she'll let me play the Taylor along with the TV. I didn't think they could hear me on the other end, but I got a cell phone call while Marty was on break, saying he didn't want to hurt my feelings but could I just shut up until he was off the air. He said that went double for cousin Kenny, and Harry and Paul were just too mad to talk. Odd that, they always look so friendly.

2. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I got an acoustic 'Santana' guitar with a broken neck for free.
    had the reputable luthier repair it, install a new piezo bridge pup and a new nut.
    I thought I'd love to play it ... but no, it's meh... the black sheep of the guitar familiy. :rolleyes:

My goto acoustic is my metall Johnson 998 Resonator.
    it weighs more than any Tele I own, but I don't care. I'll schlepp it around anyway.
    This is the pure blues machine. loud, responsive, sensative & resonating. pure bliss to play.
    at times it can be really mean and physically harder to play, but style and attitude playing it, change aswell.

picture a bodybuilder in an elevator, surrounded by tight jeans wearing hipsters :lol:

3. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

No, no acoustic. If I can't have a Martin dreadnaught, I don't want an acoustic.

4. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Yes and yes.

I have an early 70s Norman B20 12 string bought new when the original Norman company was around, and a newish Fender 6 string acoustic-electric. There are times when I play (Christmas parties, etc.) where an electric isn't needed at all. I love the 12 string, and the 6 string does the job too.

5. ringodingo

ringodingo Tele-Holic

It's not just a disease

I should take my Yamaha FGX in to the shop and get a Kahler installed.:!:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  6. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

No acoustic yet, if I find a decent lefty, I just might buy it....

7. Brett Fuzz

Brett Fuzz Tele-Holic

I bought 2 taylors early this year.

A GS Mini & a 114 in sunburst.

Find I'm playing them less & less as the novelty wears off.

I still prefer the low action, feel & playability of electric.

8. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a Celebrity acoustic. I often leave it in DADGAD for Kashmir jamming.

9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I find picking up the acoustic for an extended period also helps with my playing on electric. You gotta play like you mean it, and the acoustic really drives that point home.

10. hoserton

hoserton Tele-Meister

I have a Takamine EG450DLX-TBS that I play several times a week, but not as much as my teles. I definitely appreciate the crunchy full sound of the acoustic compared with the teles.

11. JKPickin

JKPickin Tele-Meister

I have an Applause AE-128 Super Slim body that gets played as much or more than my two main electrics. ImageUploadedByTDPRI1406337168.849755.jpg

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

12. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Got me a Taylor 310 CE that doesn't get much home love, but I use it 80 per cent of the time in our church band.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yes and yes. I have two acoustics now, one in open G tuning.

No gigging this summer as I'm trying to get the house done enough to move in before winter, so I'm drenched in fingerpicking open G so much right now that I'm 50/50 acoustic and tele. All of my other guitars are being ignored since they are in standard tuning. They should learn how to change tuning on their own to get some attention.

14. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Yep. One acoustic and three electrics. I wouldn't necessarily say that any one guitar is my "primary," or anything. Right now, my LTD Viper is hooked up to my PS3 and Rocksmith; my Tele's on my headphone amp; my Strat's on my good amp; and my acoustic is just kinda there when I want to play it. I've been getting into bluegrass lately, so the acoustic has been getting a little more attention.

15. DavidM1

DavidM1 Tele-Holic

Yes and constantly. I have a Maton dreadnought that lives in the dining room along with about four or five other instruments that we use around the house - kids practicing, playing after dinner etc.

I also have hand made classical and parlour guitars for classical and fingerpicking duties.

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

One left after going GAS-crazy, but it's a very nice one - IMO of course. I'm pretty sure this would be the one and only if it got down to that.

Santa Cruz 14 fret 000 that's now darker in color and more used looking than this 5 year old photo.

[​IMG]

17. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's a beauty, imwjl.

18. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

In addition to a cheap classical and a '87 Gibson Nouveau 12 string I have a '98 J-200 which unfortunately doesn't get played as much as it should. I just happened to get it out of it's case this past week and put it in the rack with the rest of the herd with the intent of getting more play time on it. I've noticed at times after it has sat unplayed for an extended period it can sound closed up but will open back up with regular use. Although, that wasn't the case this week, it sounded good right out of the case (maybe because of the humidity?). In any case my wife has forbidden me from ever getting rid of it because she loves how it sounds.

19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Not much sense in having one if it's never played. I pick up mine and play frequently especially when I want to work on my "unplugged" stuff or some acoustic blues.

I just picked up a new Taylor so my Breedlove will be tuned to an open tuning so I have one set up to practice on that way. I never feel whole without an acoustic around.

20. TheWizard333

TheWizard333 Banned

This is my only guitar right now.
    A Guild DV62-NTHG (dreadnought vintage). My daddy gave it to me so its never being sold. Playing chicken pickin double stopping country is tough on it. I really have to work for it but once I get a tele and adjust its going to be worth it.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1406350292.055433.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.