1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you have a storage locker? What do you keep in it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No machete?

2. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I
    have
    a
    hurt locker

:(

3. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

I did that with the pile of never-accessed boxes I moved twice already. The last move I put put them in the garage parking bay where she might park her car. After most of a decade having no problem scraping ice off the car before work, I gave up on the ruse and restacked it all against one wall to make more use of the garage workshop. She likes watching hoarder reality shows, and then complains about all my stuff: snow blower, lawnmower, tools to fix the cars, generator, bikes, ... yeah, I guess I do have too much stuff out there.

4. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I had one for many years. Stored a car and some odds and ends. Eventually the rental rate became ridiculous, so moved the car back to my garage and built a storage shed.

5. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

6. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Yeah, most of the useless "stuff" we have crammed away here and there is "her stuff". The more stuff I put in the storage unit, the more new stuff ends up being brought into the house. It's an endless vicious circle.

7. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

What is it with guys & their non-running sports cars? My brother in law has a TR6 like that. Wherever he's lived, it's been in the garage while the cars he uses are parked outside. I have a friend who had a non-running Austin Healey 3000. I helped him move four times. All four times we moved that car on a trailer.

bgmacaw likes this.
  8. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

No use for one myself. If I had that much stuff I wasn't using, I'd get rid of it.

Also, property owners throw these places up overnight to utilize property they want to redevelop into condos or something later on. Not a problem, and I wouldn't mind so much if there weren't so damned many of them.

Get rid of your junk. Somebody wants it.

9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have a garage with an attic above. Although the garage houses my car, it unfortunately a 135 lso has assorted junk that I hold onto for some unknown reason. Listed below are examples of crap I will never use:
    A huge ABC Sports banner from the 1977 LSU v Ole Miss football game. Why?
    A Samson 130 watt studio amplifier which has been there for at least 20 years.
    A IK Multimedia pedal audio interface I purchased to use with Amplitube. Hah.
    A multitude of cables, musical accessories that will never be used.
    Various tools which will never be used. Assorted painting supplies. An old designer floor lamp.
    Boxes of memorabilia which no one cares about.
    It all needs to go to the curb for the trash pick up.
    Of course, the minute I pitch it, there will be something from the pile that I'll need or I'll find has some value.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

electrichead and Flat6Driver like this.
  10. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

When I was a kid I had a GI Joe storage locker that I kept all the things I didn't want my mother to find..

I even drilled a hole in the top and one in the bottom to put a lock on it.

Took my older brother about 20 seconds to get into it..

Just like this one...

135e06174326257033a3e477d0e71e23.jpg

11. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’ve had one because we moved from the states to England. It’s climate controlled and filled with books, furniture, and vintage guitars and amps. The plan is to moved the stuff over here in the next year.

12. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

Funny...a friend from church and her ex shared a storage unit, and it was finally time to get the last of her stuff out of it and be done. She warned me that her ex was, in her words, "a little extreme". I go in for the first and only time, and it's foil-hat central. An old Ford Bronco, a spare motor for that, and three sets of tires for it...several thousand rounds of ammo for each of several weapons, four ghillie suits, stacks of axes and pick-axes, a relatively complete set of aircraft mechanic's hand tools, a small arsenal, knives, machetes, hundreds of pounds of dried food (home processed) plus pasta and beans, crates of motor oil, combat helmets, boxes and boxes of survivalist clothing, and several pelican cases that I am told contain valuable coins, precious metals, and such. There were also several pelican cases that were double-padlocked, and she only knew that they were none of anyone's business. And this, my friends, is just the highlights. Oh...two kayaks, an ATV, a pallet of spare parts for the ATV, cases of bottled water, and what must have been hundreds of pounds of books on a wide variety of topics including survival, anatomy, combat, history, and lots of notebooks with handwritten notes on obedience, submission, lists of random things, and more.

It was creepy and frightening all at once - and in case you were wondering...her things were cookbooks, college textbooks, family mementos, her grandmother's dishes, and a bicycle.

13. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

Me too. Last time I had one I heard a bunch classic rock coming from down the way. I figured it was somebody cranking the radio while working on their unit. Turned out to be three or four guys holding band practice (or just jamming or whatever). They had amps and a PA and coolers of beer of everything...jajaja!

14. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nope.
    I've always viewed them as a temporary thing, and it amazes me how many of those places are around. I already have too much stuff in the house that I should probably part with, I certainly don't need to rent a space so I can accumulate more.

15. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I always thought that'd be a good idea until you consider climate control and theft. (Like losing a bunch of offset body guitars)

16. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My storage locker should have been emptied last year, but I'm just too damn lazy to get it done. I have a nice, portable PA system and other electronic gear. Financial records from my mother who passed 4 years ago, along with some of my own, other electronic gear, and things like Mom's crystal that none of my relatives (nor I) have room for. There's a cedar chest - what do I do with that?

My access to Craigslist has been shut down - without explanation or recourse, so I'm going to have a hard time getting rid of the stuff. The financial records should all be tossed or shredded. There are some records (e.g. death certificates) that we really should keep, but somebody had to go through the file boxes and decide what is really worth keeping.

I'm just too lazy and as my birthdays keep passing, I find that I'm lazier still.

17. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

I almost rented a storage space the last time I moved. The size I needed was $650 a month so I decided not to. I built a 12 x 16 storage barn for about 3 months rent of the storage space.

18. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Best laid plans . . . . .

I bought the 69 Alfa Romeo Spider about 1985 in Dallas, hadn't been married real long and it was a fun car for a family of two. Somehow or another it was long before the family quickly out grew the car and the misses Z (at the time) thought we should sell it.
    So I hatched a plan to keep it, not a good plan, but a plan none the less. The thing had a dent on the back and I convinced her we'd get more money if I fixed, she liked money. So I sanded it, took some of it apart and that decreased the value enough to hang on to it all these years. All the time thinking I'll get it all fixed up someday. Been dragging it around for like 36 years.
    Lately I've come to realize I'm not that interested in doing that much work on a damned old car. And I could buy a pretty nice BMW Z3 for less than the cost of a decent paint job and drive it.
    The 64 Midget? Well that was a cheap on Craigslist, last guy tore it apart down the the last few nuts and bolts. There should be a three day waiting period on cheap deals on Craigslist.

Oh I should just sell them for whatever they're worth, but I absolutely hate dealing with the average "car guy". Probably should join a forum to get them listed with enthusiasts. Instead of listing them to the general public.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.