1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you have a storage locker? What do you keep in it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flat6Driver, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

I keep a slightly smaller storage locker inside, and inside that, an even smaller storage locker, and so on...

Gardo and Flat6Driver like this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I have paid rent on a Storage Unit for 4+ years and I need to do something about this ( I'm too embarrassed to say how much $$/month I'm paying-really)
    * Northern Virginia- everything is insane expensive on rent

We got the unit for two reasons:

- we lost our house in 2016 and needed a place to put furniture/cooking junk/camping gear/books & CD's/clothing- basically stuff we did not want to clutter our sons apartment with. We live with him

- a place to store PA gear/ amps for gigs, so people don't see me coming and going with this stuff at our apartment.

But truth is we have lived without all this junk ( not referring to art, sentimental/family items) for years -

I'm tempted to call a 1-800-GOT-JUNK truck, and just pitch everything,
    get rid of the cost of renting the unit.

electrichead likes this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I used to go to auctions where peoples' stuff was sold when they didn't pay their rent. Occasionally got some good stuff, such as a guitar or two or some decent furniture, but mostly it was trash that went right in the dumpster.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  4. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Eighteen years ago we moved into my mother-in-law's house for a year while our house was being built . I've always been a saver , not one to sell things . We rented 2 storage units to put our furniture and household stuff , which included about 10 amps and my Fender Rhodes piano and 2 other keyboards and various band stuff . Also rented a separate unit for my '63 Chevy , I couldn't leave it outside !! I put about 8 guitars at my parent's house as I knew that would be secure . We took very little to my mom-in -law's house . Luckily our new house had room for all our stuff , and of course through the years we have acquired MORE stuff !! Jeez , I hope we don't move again !!! That George Carlin bit was spot on !!!

5. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

In mine you'll find:

- One forty-five caliber automatic
    - Two boxes of ammunition
    - Four days' concentrated emergency rations
    - One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
    vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
    - One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
    - One hundred dollars in rubles
    - One hundred dollars in gold
    - Nine packs of chewing gum
    - One issue of prophylactics
    - Three lipsticks
    - Three pair of nylon stockings.
    :)

6. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Holic

I recently emptied and cancelled a 10x10 unit filled to the ceiling with the remnants of my last house. Most of it got thrown out or recycled, and the rest (books, a nice oak farm table, and real wood bedroom set) now live in the unused space in our garage.

I could see the tears in their eyes when I did it. I’m afraid don’t have much good to say about those who profit off misery, and a lack of extraneous stuff is super liberating.

bender66 likes this.
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Not anymore!

I also had a 10'x10' at $200 a month as I was getting my feet under me again. It stored everything I own. The majority were guitars (30+?), amps (10?), & bikes(10?). I took great comfort & sheer terror looking at it and saying to myself "look at all my cool ****".

I now have a garage & its AWESOME!

8. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

All this in case your fan belt breaks when the motor factor is closed.

9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

My family had one.. paid a fortune over the years.. full of dusty crap that all went to the skip when we finally went in it after a gap of a few (paid) years.

NEVER plan to need one.

10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly what I was going to say! Rented one when my second wife got the lake home. There's a 69 Alfa Spider and a 64 MG Midget in there, that I'll never restore. Some other crap and a big old air compressor that I might actually use some day.
    Just easier paying for the storage than dealing with the crap.

11. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

My wife, a wise woman, has forbidden storage lockers. She sees it as a slippery slope and argues an alternative approach is "have less stuff."

don71 likes this.
  12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Our storage unit is full of our cable TV bill. What?

Yep. Mrs. Roadie wants to return to cable or satellite TV. The storage unit costs the same as cable does, so I tell her we will get cable back as soon as enough of a sale occurs to enable us to ditch paying for storage. It sounds fair to me.
    She still has never set foot in the stupid storage unit, so I guess I could be "marked safe from Spectrum cable".

jvin248 and Flat6Driver like this.
  13. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Part of this story is unclear. Who's stuff was it?

14. bgmacaw

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Dall...er...Vegas with all that stuff."

MickM and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  15. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. Christmas stuff, 5 (of my 12) SCUBA tanks, 2 boxes of dive gear, 2 old Peavey 2x12 cabs, excess and old but usable work related stuff, boxes of old tax records, Halloween decorations, and other things I can’t remember right now.

Storage space is limited at my house and this a relatively inexpensive way of keeping things that are important, seasonal, and/or need a place to live, and is less than 5 minutes away,

16. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    When I gave up my shop so my son could set up his business I soon realized my shed was too small and I had to get a storage unit. My plan was that it was just going to be a temporary situation, but I think it's going to be going on longer than planned. It's now also loaded up with a bunch of stuff my wife wanted out of the house but didn't want to get rid of. ??? My plan this weekend was to go there and organize it a bit as well as purge at least 25% of what's in there. Covertly, of course.

electrichead and Flat6Driver like this.
  17. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Mrs Flat6 gets on me when I try and get rid of "her" crap, but I explain that when I purge stuff, it doesn't require a committee decision.

18. bgmacaw

That reminds me of one storage unit auction I lost. The unit renter had owned a motorcycle shop and put all his spare parts in the unit, something none of us bidders knew at the time. Since the contents were mostly in old, beat up, cardboard boxes it was hard to tell exactly what it was so I stopped bidding early. I suspected it was mostly household junk and, like most these auctions, you can't really inspect the contents before bidding. If I remember right, the winning bid was around $700. I found out later the unit contained nearly $100k in vintage Harley parts. Ouch!

I never found out why the unit got evicted and auctioned. I guess maybe the owner died or something and the family stopped paying rent on it.

19. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I had 3 for a short time. We got the first when selling the old house, just to make it look bigger. Got the other two while the new house was being built and we were in a temporary apartment. Cleaned them out the weekend after taking possession of the new house.

750 square feet of storage. It took several moving truck trips and a flatbed to get everything out. Most of it didn't stack neatly.

20. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It makes sense only for very short term. We used one for a couple months when we staged our house to sell it. But as others have said, the cost of storing your stuff long term is almost certain to be much more than the value of the stuff itself. I seem to remember paying at least $100 a month for a pretty small space, maybe 6 x 12 or something like that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.