Do you have a sound/tone "in your head" that you pursue?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Racer5, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No, at least not anymore. When I got my 1972 Deluxe Reverb and lit it up with a Japanese LP copy back in 1980 or so I had what I’d been seeking. Since then I’ve always been able to find a tone that I liked using many other combinations of amp and guitar. I still use the DR for gigs.

2. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

yeah it kinda sounds like a mixture of Roy Nichols' tone, Louis Myers' tone, and Robert Johnson's tone

Telecaster/ES-335/Acoustic Guitar mix

3. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Back in the late 90's, after having played a Les Paul for nearly 20 years, I decided that I wanted to return to playing a Strat - not for any particular tone, but just to have that single coil sound. I've been using Strats and Teles since, and with no real thought going into it have wound up with a sound that I think is pretty good most of the time. Other guitarists that hear it rave about it, but "pretty good" is good enough for me. I'd rather concentrate on my playing and the band's overall sound than chasing tone.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  4. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I found my perfect tone. Turned out, I still sucked. But, I sounded great!

5. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

I have one for each style of music I play, and I try to get there. For country I try to approach Vince Gill's tone, but with a slight touch more hair. Not quite into Brad Paisley territory though. For blues I try to get to that Clapton on a 335 tone. For rock I try to get the early Billy Gibbons tones.

6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a tone in my head, and I was able to achieve it. But then, I bumped the Mid control on my amp as I was packing up one night, and the tone went away. But I turned the knob back to the setting I liked, and the tone was there again.
    There are just so many tones to choose from, though, that it gets hard to remember which ones I really like.

7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've had the same preference in tones since I began playing as a teen 40 years ago. As much as I like them, I have never ever wanted to have someone else's tone. It would be like wanting to be an actor and wanting to act exactly like Michael Caine--I can admire a tone but don't want to emulate it.

But the tones I wanted have always been on the warm side, generally sustaining but depending on the music. As far as overdrive, I want the same degree of overdrive on low middle and high tones, and to clean up or get dirty depending on the volume control on the guitar or how hard I hit the strings.

I absolutely know it when I hear it. I've gotten it on old Teles, Strats, and my Gibson ES on blackface and tweed Fender amps. Basically always going for a vocal quality.

Of course, my playing skills are nowhere near the level of my tonal aspirations.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I never directly heard a specific tone that I was chasing. But I always knew it was there. I always interpreted it more as a process of elimination. I found tones that didn't sit well under my hands or in my band. Or just plain didn't sound quite right. Or didn't feel right. It took me surprisingly long, but I think I've found the "tone" that gives me the feel I want, can be achieved at the (several) volumes I need, sits right in my bands and doesn't get in the way or detract from what I want to express. I also happen to really like how it sounds. Yay!

Funny aside: I had figured out the "base" sound in my head but was still struggling on leads. Tried one more idea before the last rehearsal. The sound was so good and the feel so right, that after the first phrase I completely lost my concentration and forgot half the lead. After rehearsal one of the other guitar players said on the way out - I love your current tone and setup. Your tone on (the very same lead) was so good I was floored and spent the rest of rehearsal thinking about it. Double Yay!

9. Snarf

Snarf TDPRI Member

Still searching for mine, halfway there...just gotta search for a new head...and some pedals......

10. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

I'm just playing around at home these days, and haven't been out and about, band-wise, in years. But, yeah, I have sounds I aim for.

Since I don't have the resources to invest multiple amps, etc, I use a modeler/multi-effects unit.

When I'm playing around with old school country, I'm aiming for my version of that bright, twangy, Bakersfield sound a la Buck Owens and the like. So typically I'm setting up and tweaking a bright, clean Fender based patch.

But I still like my rock and metal too. There, it's usually Marshall or Mesa based and I'm aiming for a sound that is fairly heavy and aggressive, but retains some clarity, rather than just coming over as an overly thick "wall of noise".

11. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

The ideal tone may be unobtainable. I've been trying to find it for 40 plus years. I've had more guitar/amp combos than I care to think about or want to remember paying for. I dream about it. I'm okay with getting up at 3AM, plugging in and going for it after a dream. It's more than just the right gear though it's how you play. Playing style has much to do with the tone result.

12. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

My problem is not tone, it is talent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.