1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you have a proclivity towards hoarding any specific item that you really have no use for?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I'm in the process of going month by month through my phone (only ever had 1 with a camera in it) for the past few years and printing the best pictures. I don't want to lose the memories.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Haha, too funny. I have guitar and amp boxes all over the place, and shelves of empty cans and jars. I also used to collect the little rings from the end of guitar strings, but finally gave that up.

Hey, ya never know when you will need a yogurt jar or a box big enough to ship a guitar case!

How about CDs? Talk about a useless stash!

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I hoard everything interesting because “I might need it someday “ Then I get tiered of all of the junk laying around and load up the trash can. Next is walking around looking for something I just threw out.

4. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I've got too many dead hookers in the crawl space. Now that it's warmer, I need to arrange curbside pickup of a couple of bags of lime from Home Depot.

drlucky, Mad Kiwi, RodeoTex and 3 others like this.
  5. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

pencils. bad.

6. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mask.jpg

drlucky, Mad Kiwi, Blue Bill and 9 others like this.
  7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

When my mom passed I went through her garage and filled a trailer with bags and bags and bags of plastic bags filled with plastic bags.

I've got what is prolly at this point a lifetime supply of scraps of corian.

telemnemonics and nojazzhere like this.
  8. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Me too. It’s a shame the lenses for my OM-1s don’t adapt to digital bodies

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Specific...no. No use for...yes. But I reorganized the garage and my closet during the isolation, so a system is forming to move stuff out that doesn't see use.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I have several wonderful 35mm SLR and Rangefinder cameras....plus a couple of medium format cameras, but the ones I most miss using are cheap plastic "Diana" models. Are you familiar with these? I have both 35mm and 120 (roll film) models. They take great "hazy" focus, soft edged pics.....emulating the old "fixed-focus" photos of bygone days. Many photo/artists have used them for "effect". I have rolls of unused film in my refrigerator from years ago.....I ought to use them since I have them. There's even a Kodak film that is B&W, but uses standard color processing.....if that's still even a "thing".

11. JohnnyJumpUp

JohnnyJumpUp TDPRI Member

I see you've been watching Court TV and FBI Files lately.

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Yes..Duh!

next?..

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You need to store the money for that though ;)

In countries with runaway inflation the citizens will cash their paycheck and immediately buy items they can trade later like televisions and so on that they stack up unopened in boxes. If they put their pay in the bank then wait until next week they could only buy half a television with it. Or some use guitars for pawn shop loans when they need money but don't have a bank account.

Which is worse hoarding: Ten $200 guitars or One $2,000 guitar (when a player could get good tunes out of a single $200 guitar)?

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah but you might need those when you start selling off some guitars!

15. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Oh yah I have tons of carefully arranged, not-used 'stuff', my wife would readily concur. I think part of this is the "collector mentality", been that way since a kid, like plenty of you all I'm sure. We keep talking about the big spring yard sale but it never happens; I guess if/when we ever sell this house, will be the time. Maybe :D. One item that jumps to mind tho is the solid state Echoplex, haven't used it in many years and probably won't again, but I just love having it. You know the feeling!

16. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

17. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Beanie Babies. No use to me but they are so darn cute.

Actually guitar magazines. I want to throw them out but I keep thinking there is a hidden gem in one of them that I missed that will make me a good player.

18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's not like a life long habit, but of recent times, it's hard for me to pass by one of those big stacks of toilet paper packages without adding one of them to my collection. Modesty prevents me from expounding on the size of my collection.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  19. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Mods, my wife has hacked blowtorch's account... :p

For me, it's materials. Wood, metal, plastic, etc. And fasteners. But since I find one I need about once a year it's worth having the other 50 lbs. around.

drlucky and blowtorch like this.
  20. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

It depends on who you ask. I’d say no. But my wife and daughters would dispute my answer.

Our house has walls of floor-to-ceiling, built-in book shelves. One of the best things in life, to me, is sitting by the fire and reading a book.

Part of the contents of our shelves are Mrs. Steerforth’s ponderous professional library, which I believe now contains all medical knowledge ever discovered by the human species.

She also has a large collection on horse training, equine nutrition, and just about anything that you ever wanted to know about horses or how to train them. She is a genuine horse whisperer. I just ride them and feed them whatever she tells me.

But the preponderance of the tomes belong to me. They’re overwhelmingly non-fiction, and run the gamut from Von Clausewitz On War to pharmacology in wolves. There are math books that will take you from arithmetic to calculus, books on other languages and written in other languages (sometimes I read in other languages), tons of history, comparative religion, philosophy, quantum physics, you name it. I’m hopelessly curious about pretty much everything.

My fiction tends to be the sort that you’d be assigned in a world literature course. I like it, but everybody else thinks it’s boring. If I even suggest to my wife or daughters that they read my books (fiction or non-fiction), they feign horror and then laugh.

And most of my books would be considered dry, academic fare by others. But I enjoy reading them and have read pretty much everything on the shelves.

I’m frequently asked, “How can you possibly sit there and read things like that?” But my reading is enjoyable to me.

And I need my books! When I look at my shelves, I find it comforting. Sometimes I read them again. Mrs. Steerforth asks me, “Haven’t you read that one already?” To which I reply, “Yes, but it’s interesting, so I’m reading it again.” She laughs and rolls her eyes.

I’ve been asked why I don’t convert to Kindle or something. It’s not the same. I like traditional books. I did convert my music to digital, and have a huge jazz collection, a lot of rock and roll, a little country, and quite a bit of classical.

But the books must be real books.

So that’s the closest that I come to hoarding anything. But my books are important to me. Other than that, I have a lot of tools and fishing gear, but I consider that just normal life stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.