1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you have a proclivity towards hoarding any specific item that you really have no use for?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Jun 16, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Me neither:p

For some reason, I've not been able to part with my old empty metal coffee cans. I think the idea has crossed my mind that they would make excellent (mostly) waterproof storage containers for the ridiculous number of pedals I've accumulated over time, but I've not actually utilized them for that.

drlucky, flathd, Blue Bill and 2 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have a crazy number of Grolsch beer washers.
    I have no idea how I got so many.
    They live in a big, and almost full plastic bag.
    It’s like a nest, or hive, or something.
    Weird!

3. zosofan

zosofan Tele-Meister

I have large amounts of fishing equipment.
    A lot of which I never use.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I used to keep metal coffee cans for the same reason, till I cut my hand on the inside lip of one. Out they went.

But yes, anything that would make a good storage item I find it hard to throw away.

jvin248, tah1962 and blowtorch like this.
  5. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Total pack rat here. For example, old plastic 35mm film cans.

I read where them Grolsch washers can serve as strap lock sorts of things.

drf64, electrichead and blowtorch like this.
  6. blowtorch

oh yeah, you guys should see the mountain of cardboard guitar shipping containers I have

7. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I bought a bunch of different sized Crown Royal bags off of eBay a few years ago. They’re great for storing power & speaker cables in for my amp heads. Just put them in the back of my speaker cabinet when I load up for a gig. They’re also great for storing pedals in, as well as many other household items. I still have 20-25 waitng to be used for something.

nojazzhere and blowtorch like this.
  8. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a small mountain of shipping boxes. Oh, ya already said that!

studio1087, Chiogtr4x and blowtorch like this.
  9. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I'd like to hoard money … but that's not working out too good :(

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

My electric guitars, pedal board, various vintage tube amps.

All just sit.

A 60’s nylon string folk guitar has been THE instrument for me for going on 2 years I guess.

If you have to plug it in ? It’s collecting dust...

11. lefty6string

lefty6string TDPRI Member

Guitar strings. The ones I remove when changing strings. I dont throw them away. Wow, I feel liberated by admitting to it!!!!!
    Thanks guys!!!

richiek65 and Obsessed like this.
  12. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

No comment
    IMG_3589 copy.jpg

13. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have an collection of various multicore cables ranging in length from 3' to 20' and a box full of cable ends including 2-4 wire 1/4" plugs, 3-6 pin XLR's, and some SOCA with varying degrees of pin stability.

14. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Why, Telecasters of course!

But yeah, so much so that I've had to watch a few episodes of Hoarders on NF to scare myself straight!

I have a bad thrift store addiction so when that little dopamine receptor kicks in I end up with all kindsa wild stuff, which I'm currently paring down because A) I've gained weight and B) I'm in a dwelling that's about half the size of the one prior. Mostly clothes and housewares. I have four 3' boxes of stuff like that I'm trying to get rid of now. Pearl snap shirts, jeans, cowboy boots. Oh the boots,...that one's bad.

Tools, fishing gear, and I find it particularly hard to part with any Fuzz pedals.

Jars - Salsa jars, pesto jars, I dunno what it is, I never really use em for anything! I keep pine nuts in one Pesto jar and that's it.

Boxes - For selling gear of course! Pedal sized or guitar sized, always on the lookout.

Grocery bags - plastic or even reusable. Such a hard habit to break.

15. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I've moved enough times in my life that housing doesn't feel permanent. As a result, I throw things away without hesitation (move enough times and you stop collecting anything).

If I see something sitting unused in the same place for 6 months - 1 year, I throw it out. Kids toys, furniture, my stuff... doesn't matter.

By way of comparing myself to you guys... I own 1 electric guitar, 1 acoustic, 1 amplifier, 1 keyboard. I can't play more than 1 at a time.

16. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Old film cameras, especially SLRs and their lenses. I'm completely dedicated to a digital workflow these days, but nothing looks and feels like old 60s/70s German and Japanese all-metal cameras. Since I'm not running film, I don't even care if they're broken; if the price is right (ie: cheap) I'll still bring it home.

17. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

D'Addario has a recycling thing going on, I have no idea what it costs to mail a pile of string to them, in exchange for points to redeem for a pint glass or whatever.

lefty6string and teleman1 like this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I can't begin to list all the worthless things I accumulate. I get it from my dad, who NEVER threw out any piece of old hardware or "nuts and bolts". The thing is.....He (and I) often end up with a use for something. The only downside is FINDING what you need when you need it. My grandson got a kick several years ago when he saw a friend's father or grandfather had a bunch of screw-type glass jars mounted under shelves, holding (more or less) sorted screws, nuts, bolts,nails, etc. like I have. He thought I was the only person who did that. I told him they used to teach that in schools in the 1930's....and I think he believed me!
    I also can't throw out books, vinyl LP's, DVD's, CD's.....many of which will NEVER again be read, listened to, viewed, etc. I bet the Smithsonian ain't got nothing on me! ;)

teleman1 likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I lament the passing of film and "prints". In a generation or two, the bulk of family records are going to be lost, due to all the "digital" pictures being gone or unavailable. No more shoeboxes of family photos or photo albums. In a way it's sad....but in another way it's just the march of progress.

Fearnot likes this.
  20. blowtorch

Ay, there's the rub.

I also can tend to packrat stuff, but with the "pause" we've all experienced, I took the opportunity to really majorly reduce that.

Because right, what good is having a lot of "stuff", if you can't put your hand on something when you need it, and have to spend half the day searching for it?

I've come to the way of thinking that for a lot of these things, it's worth it to let the store hang on to something, until the time that I need it, and then the price that I pay them is well worth me not having to have "stored" it for months, years, decades

drlucky, Mad Kiwi, MarkieMark and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.