1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you hang out with the friends of your youth?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thoughtfree, Apr 20, 2021.

1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Just one, but we only see each other once a year or less. The rest of them? Nope.

oldgofaster and brookdalebill like this.
  2. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

Nope.

I doubt I would have much in common with them anymore. Everyone changes a bit over time, but some people change for the worse.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm still friends with my life long best mate. We've known each other since 1977.

4. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

I broke off with my two best friends from high school a few years back. One of them just got really hard to be around as he got older and life didn't work out how he thought it would. The other wanted to go out drinking on weeknights like we did in our 20s. I'm still connected with two other people from my high school class, that's it.

I joined a band back in 1988 and I'm still friends with two of the guys from that band. We went on to play in other bands over the years. About 10 years ago, I started hosting a night at my house where those two, a drummer we hooked up with later, and me could get together (otherwise we never saw each other as a group). I'd cook something on the grill, make some martinis, smoke some cigars and hang out. For obvious reasons, we didn't do that last year. Earlier this year, one of the guys lost his wife to cancer.

As it turns out, three of us are getting our second vaccinations this Saturday. We're getting together at my house on May 8th and I'm really looking forward to seeing them.

drlucky likes this.
  5. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Generally no...live 2000+ miles away. Have some fb contact with a few. However would be glad to see any of them. A few have passed but most of us have evolved from the folly of our youth. A best friend from 1st grade we still chat maybe every 5-6 years and met up with him about 12 years ago in Vancouver BC when he and his wife were heading to AK.

6. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's a great way to see it, thanks.

I often mind-sing the Simon and Garfunkel song "Old Friends". I see now that those friends are rare, at least for those of us who have moved around. My old friends are all memories now.

Several times I've had new contact with old friends, but it's always been awkward, and when I stop calling my phone don't ring.

I hang out at home with my family.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    bluesintheblood and oldgofaster like this.
  7. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Most of my friends from my teen years/early 20's I still play music with and am reasonably close to, at least as much as we can be with our careers, wives, etc. But most of the friends I made in my late 20's/early 30's I've already drifted from for the same reasons stated by everyone else - they still want to sit and drink in a bar until closing time then go drink at home until sunrise, and I can't/don't want to do that anymore, and I'm not going to be pulled down with them.

drlucky likes this.
  8. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Most of us who were tight in our teens, are like brothers to this day. I have one friend that I've been very close to for 54 years (I'm 61), another since we were literally babies (we live far apart but are still touch). We don't see each other that often owing to distance and work, life etc., but we talk often.

9. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nope.

My best friends from my gigging days have largely passed away from their habits. My High School friends still know each other, but I really dislike them now.

Texicaster likes this.
  10. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

So in autumn of 1964, at the age of 11, at my fourth school in four consecutive years (we moved a lot!), I met this guy in my 6th grade class. We hit it off immediately.
    It is now 57 years later. We are still best friends. We've been through a lot: deaths of parents, classmates, divorces, we even worked together for over 30 years ... a whirlwind of change.
    But we're still best buddies. We had breakfast just last week. We laugh like we've always laughed.
    It's a treasure.

oldgofaster and Texicaster like this.
  11. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Still close to a friend I've know since 7th grade. Everyone else, not so much.

When my dad passed a few years back, some hometown friends came to his funeral. I was nice to catch up, but we've all changed and gone in different directions.

I do wonder what became of certain folks I knew. A large percentage have no online presence.

Lockback likes this.
  12. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Friends come and go...enemies accumulate.

13. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

Wow!

I thought I was the only one. Just 1 do I stay in semi-regular contact with. We call each other 3 or 4 times a year but our conversations have less and less in common.

I recall lamenting "I have no friends" back in my late 20s to an old timer and he told me some story if I recall being David Sarnoff. When he retired EVERY celebrity in the world showed up for a send off gala. He was interviewed during the even and the interviewer was gushing "Oh my gosh...you are so lucky you have so many friends!" To which Mr. Sarnoff replied "Son, when your mother dies you don't have a friend in the world"......!

14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes, 2 out of my 5 REALLY close friends are with me since kindergarten.

15. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It does get really frustrating how much it seems EVERYTHING in the town I live in and the places I'm near revolves around alcohol or the sale of alcohol. There's nothing social for adults to do here in the evening except go to a bar or brewery. Every town event is a "Sip And Stroll" or something else booze related. And I'm not a killjoy, and I don't mind having a good beer every now and again, but sometimes it feels like these towns are just full of traps. **** jobs that trap you into thinking you're gonna get ahead, bars to trap you into not caring that you're not getting ahead, then DUI checkpoints and speed traps to make sure you're not getting out.

Wildcard_35 and Dr Improbable like this.
  16. Falstaff1960

Falstaff1960 TDPRI Member

Not one of my childhood friends. I haven't even seen anyone I went to high school with since graduation (doesn't help that I moved to NYC for 20 years not long after graduation for school and then work). I still speak to people I knew in NYC in my twenties now and then.

Truth be told I am a difficult person to get to know well. I am very private and learned from an early age not to be overly trusting, maybe incorrectly, but that was my experience. Few can say they know me well. I am not unfriendly in my demeanor, in fact I am often described as the nice guy...so..yeah I just realized I am also describing a serial killer....hmmm...lol.

Brendo and Dr Improbable like this.
  17. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Not as often as I used to, but yes.

18. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Depends on the definition of youth. Except for (what’s left of) my family, no one from HS or earlier. I moved to FL when I was 17 and I still surf with some guys I surfed with back then.

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Nope. A few of them keep trying to drag me back into reminiscing, but I have moved on. I have had a few lifetime friends that are really good people, but they got stuck in their ruts. Kinda sad to watch it happen. I wish them good health and happy lives.

getbent likes this.
  20. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nope. Those days were long gone a long time ago. I just hang out with you guys now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.