1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you hang out with the friends of your youth?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Thoughtfree, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I spent many, many hours in my early 20s drinking heavily with a group of my neighborhood friends. Bar to bar to bar, night after night, often followed by vomiting, in my case. Some of them profess nostalgia for those days, and get together every Christmas. I've been to several of these gatherings but they grow tiresome, especially since a few of these folks, though in their late 60s, have apparently not progressed very far. Every year they ask me to come to the dinner, but I care less and less.

I try to get out but they keep pulling me back in, as somebody said in The Godfather.

Not looking for a resolution here, but it might be interesting to discuss this. Do you hang out with the folks you mis-spent part of your youth with?

Mjark, Asmith, oldgofaster and 4 others like this.
  2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

yes

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Friends, yes. Acquaintances, no.

There are two guys (brothers) who I have known since I was 14 that I still speak with regularly. Always have. They’re family more than friends. Also, a guy in Oklahoma who I’ve known even longer than that. But other than them, anybody I knew back in the day has vanished in the mists of time. I doubt I could come up with a name. There are very few people I’ve added to the list of “friends” since then, as well.

stepvan and brookdalebill like this.
  4. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Not 1

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Just a couple of em
    some have died from their excesses

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya
    A couple

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I have a few.
    Fortunately.

There are other people in my Past that I think of as situational friends. For instance;
    dudes I was friends with in college, dudes I was friends with in the army, people I was friends with when I used to live in another city, dudes I used to hang with but now we’re on very different paths in life.

That kind of thing.

8. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Yes.

My ol budz mean a lot to me.

We've all changed a bit... but, for the most part, they're still the crazy, mangy boyz that they've always been

We're just old curmudgeonz, now.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sorta.
    Actually, yes.
    I still hang out with friends Wyatt, my friend since I was 18, Bob, since I was 21, and Kelly, since I was 24.
    I still do gigs with all three, separately.
    I don't stay in touch with childhood friends.
    I keep them in my heart, but don't know how or where they are.
    My family moved a lot till we settled in Austin, since late 1966.
    I treasure my old friends.
    I actually treasure all of my friends, but the old friends are super important to me.
    They've kept me, and I'm grateful.

stepvan, Greggorios, rand z and 2 others like this.
  10. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Nope. I played in bands growing up into my late 20's. I guess it made me kind of a nomad. I only know one person from my 20's. I had one friend I was close to from my teens, but 5 years ago we had a falling out over politics when I dared to see that there are two sides to every issue and I dared to have empathy for people that weren't brought up in white, upper middle class families. We haven't spoken since.

StrangerNY, Abre, darkwaters and 5 others like this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I still play (or DID) with my drummer from Jr High School. (1966 or so) ....but really have no contact with anyone else from High School or college. In 1996, I was asked to put together a "reunion" band of all the musicians from High School. It was an incredible amount of work to locate people, contact them, (phone only, pre-internet/email days) and communicate song lists, keys, etc. It turned out really well, with only a couple of ego-related issues. The biggest downside? Out of 250-300 people in attendance, only TWO told me thank you (both reunion organizers) ......and not one of the musicians, for whom I worked tirelessly to help sound good, and make sure their backing musicians were rehearsed and knowledgeable. That was the last reunion I've attended, and last I probably ever will.

Greggorios likes this.
  12. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, a few of them.

13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have one real personal friend remaining from early in my professional life. I maintain collegial relationships with others. One is more than just a conference friend. I’ve lost track of everyone I hung out with in high school and college. I moved on rapidly once I got my start in a field that would become bioengineering. My wife has two good friends from high school and one other with whom she stays in touch by telephone. It might have been different had I chosen music as a vocation rather than an avocation, but with my propensity for being into my own thing, probably not.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Yes. A number of people that I grew up with and a few that I went to college with. The friends I grew up with are more like an extended family. If one of us needs help, the others are there for them. It was a small town and everyone knew everything and everyone.

15. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Yes, some still holiday in Spain and we get together when they come

16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Very few. I keep a few life long relationships going mostly with a call or social media because there are physical distances.

Many I grew up with became social media "friends" and that illustrates the differences. Very few I grew up with are as active as I am with mind and physical stuff. My daughter was looking at and meeting some I grew up with. Her observation was many peaked young and a few never stopped pushing, playing and learning. I'm respectful of differences but really only enjoy the still rather with it folks.

17. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

My best friend has been my best friend since we were eight years old. It’s been forty years. We live about 2000 miles apart, but we still communicate all the time, and see each other whenever we can.

I’ll be traveling through his neck of the woods at the end of this summer, and he’s already hunting us down a couple gigs for when I’m there. We always have to play together when we see each other. It’s how we both started playing back in the 80’s. Yes, we spent a lot of time when we were younger drinking to excess, chasing (and catching) women, and participating in all manner of youthful gambling with our lives and general irresponsibility and poor decision making. Sometimes when we get together we still do some of that stuff. Minus the women chasing. We both did pretty well with the last pair we caught over twenty years ago, and they’re still around.

There is nobody in this world outside of my immediate family that I get as excited to see and spend time with. I freakin love that guy.

I don’t really see or spend time with anybody else from my youth. I maintain contact with some of the ones I like the best through social media and such. And some of them would drop out from time to time to catch up when I was touring a lot, if I happened to hit their town. But outside of my best buddy, I really don’t see or keep up with anybody.

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I let my best friend from childhood talk me into allowing him to be the vocalist for one of my bands, and that was some 20 years ago

it's been at times a big challenge for our friendship and at times a childhood dream fulfilled

it's been great for the band, he's a natural frontman

nojazzhere, Jakedog and brookdalebill like this.
  19. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

Only the ones who haven't pickled themselves or died.
    The Drunks get very tiring so I make up excuses not to see them or to get off the phone.
    It's no fun to have a few beers with people who have lost control to it.

20. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I am lucky enough to have some great friends from my youth. But like others have mentioned, some never grew out of their bad habits.

I now find myself leaving most gatherings early because they just disintegrate into loud, drunken shouting events where everyone is talking at the same time and no one listens to the other. They seem to enjoy it. I prefer to speak of the great things in this life!

(edit for spelling)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.