Do you get Frank Zappa ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Aug 2, 2019.

1. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

This is the best way to put it, hats off to you, Sir!

I consider myself a concious human being from the day I got 'Zappa in New York'.

2. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

He "ruins" music in the same brilliant way that Mel Brooks ruins a genre of film . . . hilarious parody. Oh you want a rock album, done, Doo-wop: done, and all done well while he mocks the conventions of that genre. Just like Brooks ruined the genre of westerns with blazing saddles, or space sci fi with Space Balls. "Ruins" might be a strong word so don't take that too literally. A musician's musician who put his own stamp on music as we know it. Love Frank.

3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Interesting and on point perspective. He let you know that manipulating styles consciously was simple for him which lent an air of arrogant satire to the proceedings. At the same time he was really good at it and every now and then he would do something where you got the impression he REALLY liked it personally. In later years (after 1981?) any video you see seems to have Frank frowning and waving his baton at the band, which doesn't make it seem like he's having a lot of fun. The Roxy video on the other hand...

4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I can believe that, given Frank's love of Stravinsky. At the same time, like many of FZ's extended story songs, I'm thinking Billy the Mountain, Greggery Peccary etc., they start off relatively interesting, meander way off into the weeds, and then end, but not in a really satisfying way for the listener. IMHO.

5. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

Well said

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.