Do you get Frank Zappa ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

I don't like all of it, but I'm one of those people who can be put off by the personality of the music. The singing can be hard to get by. He does have some great peices of music though.

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Instrumental? Try Peaches En Regalia. Even my daughter was enjoying that when she was in second grade.

GuitarGeorge likes this.
  3. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

I don't like all of FZ's music, but then I don't like all of any artist's music. For my tastes, every artist I like has good and not so good releases.

Having said that, I don't really believe that he meant for all of his music to be anybody's favorite. He was a brilliant musician and artist, I guess, but in my opinion a lot of his material was more "proof of concept" than music you would want to listen to every day.

When I walk through an art museum, there are entire sections of art which I can appreciate, but would never display in my home. That is what much of Zappa's music is to me.

El Tele Lobo and 4pickupguy like this.
  4. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Who can't appreciate the awesome line as Father Oblivion stirs the pancake batter for St. Alphonzo's pancake breakfast? "He was delighted as it stiffened, and ripped right through his sock!"

nocastermike and rcole_sooner like this.
  5. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

Jazz violinist, Jean Luc-Ponty, spent time as a member of the Mother's Of Invention and many Zappa instrumentals are featured on his Blue Note reissue album "Cantaloupe Island" to include: America Drinks and Goes Home, Idiot Bastard Son, How Would You Like To Have A Head Like That, etc. I don't always "get" what is going on musically, but I can always appreciate music for what it is - creation. John McLaughlin is one amazing guitarist/artist, and blows my mind with the stuff he pulls off on guitar, but musically it does not always please my ear. I still admire him, and buy his recordings when I come across one.

bricksnbeatles and 4pickupguy like this.
  6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, good one. From about 67' or so. I always liked the Dixie Dregs live take on it from about 2000 as well.

7. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

"For St. Alphonzo would be proud of me."

God I love that song. I love that whole album. :lol:

8. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    My Dad once made a comment about Frank being the lost son of Spike Jones!

DekeDog likes this.
  9. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I went through a period when I listened to nothing else. And then I didn’t and have rarely listened to anything by him for years. Roughly speaking I guess I see rock/ pop music as something that should be easy to connect to and should connect with me on an emotional level ( if I can include ‘ I’d like to dance ‘ as one of those emotions). Some Zappa stuff could do that, some really didn’t at all and whilst I was interested at one point it would leave me cold/ bored now. I have nothing against clever people creating music I just don’t like it when music is used primarily as a vehicle to demonstrate cleverness.

I have watched a bunch of Zappa Plays Zappa on YouTube. I prefer it to the original film stock as Frank’s sense of visuals/ cinematography could be challenging and I lose interest. If anyone wanted somewhere to start with Zappa I’d always recommend ZPZ first.

10. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Thanks a lot for the advice. It d be interesting to have a who get captain beefheart thread.

11. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oh yes...I prefer Beefheart, and listen to his work often, and always with pleasure. :D

I just checked the music library on my computer, and see I have 1865 tracks of Zappa music, about 90 official albums, and approx. the same number of concert bootlegs, ( I have a freind who is fond of him, who thought I might like them:oops:)...but I rarely listen to them much.
    My favourite period is the Mothers with Ruth Underwood, and also just after....so early to mid 70's, from "Smoke on The Water" up to but not including the comercial sounding "Zoot Allures"

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  12. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

Never understood him or why he was so well regarded....he was just weird all around, as evidenced by what he named his kids....

13. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Someone, I believe in an interview, asked Joe Pass what he thought of John McLaughlin. He replied, "I don't know why anyone would want to play like that." So, not everyone, even very good players, gets everything, even things done by very good players.

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I like FZ.
    As a teen, he was the first of my Idols to come right out and say Drugs SUCK.
    He said he had no time for people that Drank and threw-up on him.

He also said he never approved of the behavior associated with it.
    If you really listen to those songs, what he was saying was: This is how Stupid you look when you do that.

I still have 14 of his vinyls and cd's.
    Hell of a show Live as well!

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, yes I do.

16. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Love Frank Zappa. Not all of it, but most of it. Frank always surrounded himself with brilliant musicians, every one was a good sight reader or you couldn't survive in Frank's band. The musicianship is superlative.

nocastermike likes this.
  17. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I loved Frank Zappa, but his records were always hit or miss for me. I loved his early work and the stuff with Flo and Eddie. After that, is was on a case by case basis.

18. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

That is 100% verifiably false.

19. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

Nope. Didn't get Zappa and couldn't listen to him. Been a while, though. Maybe it's time to try again.

20. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Are you talking about Frank Zappa? Ha ha. No. Some of my friends were in his band, from time to time, guys I played with. It was a business, and he hired a lot of legit Jazz musicians. He was a businessman, and very serious about his charts and arrangements. Like a wacky conductor running an orchestra, all business.
    Man, who is coming up with cult? How strange.

AAT65, bcorig and paulblackford like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.