Do you get Frank Zappa ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Richard T

Richard T TDPRI Member

He did so many different things, all/most of it fairly intense, 'getting' all of it is a big ask but not getting any of it should be a cause for reflection.

Pasta Player likes this.
  2. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Yes, the cruder and more shallow, the better...… :D

I absolutely love Beefheart, too. Saw at least one gig, on each European tour.

I have a big stack of vinyl and virtually all of it, on CDs, too.

Pasta Player likes this.
  3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Uh , it’s Varese...:rolleyes: :lol:

Anywho, he also stated many times how important this one piece of music was on him

Obelisk, Mike SS, pixeljammer and 2 others like this.
  4. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

:oops:

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

The world’s greatest sinner

6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Yes, and love it.

Pasta Player likes this.
  7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I liked some of his stuff, the funny stuff, back in high school. I think I might have pretended to like it more than I actually liked it, because the cool kids acted like they liked it. I agree with Squirrel, his snobby attitude was annoying. Nobody likes being insulted and looked down upon for being normal, do they? I saw him live in the early '80s; I think I walked out after an hour of endless guitar wankery.

I can still sing Montana word for word. Raisin' it up... Waxin' it down.

P Thought likes this.
  8. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Nope. I tried and tried, too. I get that he was inventive, satiric, and, for what he wanted to do with it, skilled at guitar, etc. But his music always seems to be saying, "Look at how inventive, satiric, etc., I am." I always hear his demanding ego, the performance of his pretensions, and never any textures, compelling poignance, or anything melodically magnetic. That's just me, though. I'm not wired in a way Frank could reach.

Harry Styron, pixeljammer and Bones like this.
  9. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

did not care for zappa for a long time despite being a steve vai fan. thought his lyrics were childish, and his guitar playing is mediocre at best. Was really only familiar with his more commercial(ironic) pieces. I watched a documentary on him and that kind of changed everything. Specifically, how he was a student of rhythm. That kind of put everything in a different light. Then I heard "baby snakes"... still blown away by that. Some of his stuff I still can't get past... but I have come to appreciate a lot of it: even the lyrics. Still think he's not a great guitar player, but then I also think that about clapton (go go gadget internet flame protection). Just one simpleton's take on it anyway.

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, Frank Zappa was always a frustrated composer who found a way to have a career in rock. He was very sarcastic, intelligent and creative with a wickedly dry sense of humor. His compositions were extremely challenging requiring him to have only top tier players in his band. The list of famous musicians he discovered/mentored is staggering. His music can be difficult to follow as it can be extremely complex.
    His music is absolutely an acquired taste.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Who cares ?

It’s pretentious crap !

Johnny Guitar Watson though ... yeah baby !

Blue Bill, SecretSquirrel and Bones like this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

It’s a mud shark. What’s the deal Howie. I won’t talk about my sister like that

stevemc likes this.
  13. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I love the absurd early mothers records. It’s been awhile since I listened to them but I totally think they are great interesting satire.
    As for Zappa, I like his guitar playing especially on roxy & elsewhere. penguin in bondage is a dumb song but man there is some great playing on there. once he gets into the instrumental/jazzy/orchestral stuff and what not I lose interest. But, again, I might feel differently if I went back and gave it more time.

Pasta Player likes this.
  14. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Well, as we all know..."The crux of the biscuit ...is the apostrophe."

I love Frank Zappa, but as another poster above said, there's a difference between "get" and "like".

I "get" Zappa in as much as I'm fully on board with everything his music is trying to accomplish.

I "like" it because I like the sounds it makes and I like the way those sounds make me feel.

Nothing wrong with not having a taste for it. It's not for everyone. You're not a lesser person (or musician) if it doesn't speak to you.

However, if you want to "get" Frank Zappa the man (and possibly have that influence your opinion of his music), I'd suggest picking up The Real Frank Zappa Book. It's Frank in his own words. His life, his music, his politics, his humor...it's all in there. You might not care for his music, but there's no denying that he's a very interesting dude.

15. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Listen to this song and you’ll have a better understanding:

voskarp, Mike SS and Pasta Player like this.
  16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think he was brilliant. I enjoy listening to his albums all the way through. I bought Freak Out and You Are What You Is when I was 17; those records were my Frank gateway.

I wish he was still here.

See signature!

17. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Have been a fan of Zappa since the late '60s. Brilliant composer and musician when you give the right stuff a listen. One of my favorite albums is "jazz From Hell".

18. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have it! Great read, and I shoud say, I didn't see any of the snob in the book. Good honest memoir.

I've noticed your sig!---it's probably my favorite Zappa quote. He did live in both worlds.

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse."

Pasta Player likes this.
  19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

The cover art got us in first, we started seeing all these crazy covers with FZ MOI on the titles in our second hand record store in town. A few of us hung out there sat mornings looking through the LP's, we never had much money to actually buy any.......

my classmate Chris who had a guitar was into FZ and he had managed to buy a few ... it started there.. along with early syd/PF lp's....

A lot of the humor/local references went over our heads.. but we knew it was kick arse funny by his delivery... and then he'd blast out some guitar riffs that seemed impossible to play...

No one was doing what fz was doing then.... I got to see him live in 73/74 , that was a highlight of the times for us....

Thinliner likes this.
  20. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

...and "laughing all the way to the bank", creatively sarcastic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.