Do you get Frank Zappa ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Aug 2, 2019.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Yeah my brain can get around this one. But the weird instrumental stuff, i m wondering where is he going ? why ?

I ll try a few more bits. Maybe not 14 records though.

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

FZ is like Monty Python. You either get him or you don't and I got both of them at an early age, as did my friends. He took on the PMRC and the US Senate and won against that Kangaroo court. He embarrassed them. You can watch it on YT.

As a musician and and artist, sure, he had some ups and downs. Despite being two of his most commercial attempts, I loved Apostrophe and Overnite Sensations with the MOI. I wore out the vinyl and I love that FZ/Ryko released them together on CD. Didn't really follow him after that point. Sure, I got a couple of albums here and there but to me this early period and mid periods were the best.

Pasta Player and johnny k like this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I get most of his stuff, but I like only the older stuff with the original lineup of the Mothers of Invention, plus a few more albums. A non-Mothers album that I like is Hot Rats. I think that's brilliant stuff.

4. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I kind of like him but he's often really sophomoric. He advances really commonplace observation as if they're profound

5. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

No

6. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

Love Zappa

Pasta Player likes this.
  7. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have no idea if I get him or not. I have several of his albums. I enjoyed a lot of his music. I may have owned the only 8-track of the soundtrack from "200 Motels" anyone ever purchased.

Pasta Player likes this.
  8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I didn’t get Zappa at all; then I went to college and met a bunch of aliens (wild-child engineering students from NY and NJ). This was 1973.

They properly introduced me to the madness, and I “got” the usefulness of this music. In the proper frame of mind:eek:, it all made sense.

I’ll never forget four of us singing Billy The Mountain in a dank old holding cell, it served us well as a repellent for our fellow miscreants who might have otherwise beat up a bunch of hippies.

9. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Please check out the the clip of him on David Letterman. 'Brown lipstick in the corporate boardroom'
    Wow !
    We need a hero like this again.

Pasta Player likes this.
  10. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

I want to add that unless you really dive into his work, you're often stuck with what I consider the cliched Zappa work. The stuff with lyrics that a lot of people know; Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation albums. I read a Zappa interview where he said something along the line of; I do stuff with lyrics just because it sells, otherwise I'd just play jazz.

Besides suggestions from Texicaster which are fantastic albums and a great place to start, I also really like Roxy and Elsewhere. Live in NY is cool too. It captures a little more of the lyricy side of Frank as well as some great instrumentals.

umasstele and Pasta Player like this.
  11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

That was Frank Zoppa. not the same guy.

12. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

I love Zappa. One of my all-time favs.

3-Chord-Genius, CFFF and Pasta Player like this.
  13. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Eddie, are you kidding?

Ethel was a tree. Growing off of his shoulder.
    Ethel, we're going to
    New York!

I work so hard, don't you understand
    Making maple syrup for the pancakes of our land.

Gonna smother that girl in chocolate syrup--
    And boogie till the cows come home

Just a few of my personal favorites.
    What's not to understand!?

stevemc, stinkey and Pasta Player like this.
  14. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

FZ.png If Frank Zappa hadn’t existed, it would’ve been necessary for us to invent him.

Still very disappointed that he’s gone - but very thankful for Dweezil’s continuing work. For those that just can’t get into Frank’s body of work (or anything Frank for that matter) I’d suggest listening to his “Shut Up ’N Play Yer Guitar” set. If still unimpressed… then you’re simply, “doing it wrong” and my guitar wants to kill your momma.

P.S. I am the chrome dinette…

15. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

I have about 24+ hours of his music and I saw him live a couple of times. Not all of it's great but I saw Dweezil's Zappa Plays Zappa and it was wonderful, because they played One Size Fit All as an entire album.

Frank Zappa's lead style is hard to imitate. I know, because I had a try at it over a section of Moving to Montana:

16. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

I like some of this stuff a lot. I love the Apostrophe album. A few others I like some songs here and there.

I get what he is doing ... his own thing.

But there is probably a lot of his stuff, I just could not listen to.

Like Jeff Beck ... as an example among many ... I get the genius, but I don't care for the music.

17. paulblackford

paulblackford Tele-Meister

Nice work! You really nailed the way he 'phrases'. With a lot of players, you can, sort of, 'see where they are headed'. Zappa always comes at me from left field. I like that he's unpredictable, but he isn't 'out'. He's still in the pocket. I always admire players whose thought process is alien, to me. Holdsworth, Zappa, Scofield, etc.., You can't say, "I've heard that all before".

18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

He seemed to be a great musician and composer, and had high expectations for any musicians he worked with.

His lyrics were an attempt at comedy. He supposedly hated the response to "Valley Girl"... all the way to the bank.

19. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i loved zappa. what is not to get? as with everything it is all subjective. there is only good music and bad music.

play music!

Pasta Player likes this.
  20. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

He was an original.

Maybe you had to have been there. Frank's combination of musical smarts and absurdity was more of a burlesque show than say, Steely Dan. Fagen and Becker were smartasses, but they wanted to be cool. And they were cool.

Frank never seemed to want to be cool. He just wanted to be himself. It makes me happy to hear how he beat popular music and especially musical theater at its own game with his own version of highfalutin carnival show.

I saw him at the Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh back in the day. It was loud, great, and took place in a fog of weedsmoke -- none of it his. People seemed to think of his jam shows as a high-IQ version of the Grateful Dead, but I don't know.

It was just rock and roll to me. With ninth chords, counterpoint, and a freakin' loud ass Strat that sounded like burning plastic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.