1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do you get emotionally attached to guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by spikypaddy, Aug 11, 2010.

1. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I used to not think so, they are just wood and metal and plastic after all... But I have changed my mind after recently having a panic attack after thinking that my 93 MIJ was stolen. It's a $500 guitar with $300 in upgrades, so obviously not a REAL expensive loss. But she's my #1 fav, and i realized I would have been really upset if it had been stolen out of my car that day.. fortunately I had taken it into the house! hard to explain mojo, but I have it with that tele.

2. Woodeye

Woodeye TDPRI Member

I get emotionally attached to my guitars (and other stuff) but maybe not so much these days.

I would have a very hard time letting go of the Alvarez my parents bought for me when 15 that started this whole journey.

Another interesting point - at least for me - is that when displayed the average age on this string is about 49. That must say something but what I am not sure.

3. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]
    Me and my 1989 Squier Strat "The Veteran"

It's called that way because of being with me from my first band back in 1991 when I bought it new until the present day. In the years I also found out that it can take a hell of a beating and come back for more. As it stands, none of the original parts remain but I'll never get rid of that one.

[​IMG]
    Here I am using the Veteran live for the very first time. It was a performance at my Junior high, ah 1991, to be 15 again...

I have said to my family that if I were to die, that they should bury my Squier with me.

4. Guit-jitsu

Guit-jitsu Tele-Afflicted

I use 'em, play 'em hard, then toss 'em aside when the next sexy thing comes along and makes me drool.

Wait, are we talking about guitars?

5. prawnik

prawnik Tele-Holic

I should not be attached to them, but I sometimes am.

Strangely enough, I am less attached to the guitars I made than to the guitars I buy. Probably because I think "I could always build another one...."

6. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm reading this because yesterday I found a Gibson J-45 that sounds really sweet. I brought it home. Now since I don't have a job at the moment but feel there's one "just around the corner", I'm thinking I may have to sell something. There are two strats and one tele. (An amp may have to go too.) Now the question going around and around in my brain is - what can I part with? I can't decide. And I haven't got around to talking about it with my wife yet.

Mind you, I've been through this before and it all worked out fine.

7. chesire

chesire Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Man, this thread makes me feel better.

I have five guitars and I can't imagine parting with any of them.

1. 1996 Am Std Tele - years of mods and playing have turned it into exactly what I want it to be - Barden bridge, little 54 humbucker, bone nut, good slow aging, Greasygroove pin-up pickguard - I call her my lady in red and I can't imagine life without her
    2. 2008 Fender Sonora - gray, without the elaborate white pick guard - got this as a factory second because it has a scratch on it for $150. I beat the crap out of it, but I've written some of my best songs on it
    3. 1968 Ovation Thunderbird - this is one of the rare electrics that Ovation made between 68 & 71 - found it when I was in high school for $300 and have taken great care of it
    4. Parker P6E - best sounding acoustic electric I've ever heard, when plugged in. Increasingly rare since they don't make them anymore and I got it for 50% off as part of a store promo
    5. 1985 Fender / Squier Bullet One - Weird Tele shape but with a Florentine cut out and a HSS Strat layout - a rare beater that belonged to a recording studio in Boston before I snagged it

That's in the order they would come out of the fire. I can't believe I would save a <$200 chinese made acoustic before my others, but as AngelStrummer pointed out, thats the difference between Worth and Value

8. MikeS29

MikeS29 Tele-Meister

I have a cheapy Yamaha Acoustic that has been around the world with me; had it since I bought it new in 1983...I'd have a real hard time letting that one go, even though it has limited value to anyone else. My 1990-ish American Standard Tele is sweet too, and I love it dearly, but I could probably find another just like it. The old Yamaha has all my honest wear, use, and some abuse all over it. Once my Tele gets like that, it would be hard to replace.

9. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I have guitars that I really dig owning because they're really cool, or prime examples of their breed but I never get emotionally attached.

10. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I get emotionally attached to my guitars for sure. Also cars, tools, rocks, my house, abalone shells, records, TV shows, picks. . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.