Do you get emotional when listening to music?

rokdog49

Friend of Leo's
Happens all the time. Certain music more than others. Full disclosure : I'm a crier at movies, etc and so kind of sensitive to begin with. The emotions it brings are why I wanted to play music and perform.

You and me both my friend. Even though much of the time it's corny stuff.
The scene near the end of Forrest Gump with his son and him in the living room watching TV together just about makes me break down.
As far as emotions and music, even worse. This one even gets my wife who isn't usually affected by this stuff:

Ricardo Moraes

Tele-Meister
Well... after seeing so many song citations here, let me try my emotional softspot:

Carmina Burana

The Planets (Holst)

The Rite of Spring (Stravinski)

Eu Sei que Vou te Amar (Vinicius de Moraes)

anything by Piazzolla and anything by Coltrane.

Mahalo

Former Member
I have to admit when I hear music especially from my youth I almost instantly get tears. For example I was in the kitchen today and "For What Its Worth" by Buffalo Springfield came on the radio and the tears came! Now these are not sad tears but like "man do I miss the good times I had back then tears". Make sense? Anybody else like this?

Yes.

I am lost to the world
with which I used to waste so much time,
It has heard nothing from me for so long
that it may very well believe that I am dead!

It is of no consequence to me
Whether it thinks me dead;
I cannot deny it,
for I really am dead to the world.

I am dead to the world's tumult,
And I rest in a quiet realm!
I live alone in my heaven,
In my love and in my song.​

czgibson

Tele-Afflicted
Great music does occasionally make me cry. There are a few artists who can do it, but the one who has made me weep more than most is Miss Aretha Franklin.

True, the Muscle Shoals band have a lot to do with the greatness of that particular track, but there really is something extraordinary about Aretha herself. At the very least there are chills every time I listen to her, and sometimes I just have to pull over and stop the car.

BB King live made me cry.

I wept like a baby when I saw him in 2002. I mean for a good two hours solid; people sitting next to me were wondering if I was OK. I was totally unprepared for what he was going to do to my ears with his guitar that night.

I would love to know how musicians can do this to us.

The more I learn the more I'm convinced that it's down to tone, rhythm and phrasing, moreso than note choice or harmony. Melody helps too, but it's not always necessary to produce an affecting piece of music. Some of the truly powerful moments that I like in music consist of pure noise, things like '21st Century Schizoid Man', 'Halleluhwah' and 'Sister Ray'.

But maybe this is just down to my taste. I've never been much of a melody man - especially in my own playing. :neutral: ;)

upstartocaster

Tele-Meister
I don't think crying is a requirement, but I got a CD of Jean Martinon conducting the Orchestre de Paris playing Ravel, and it gives me all kinds of feels. Blissful, elated, nostalgic, and wistful. It twists your chest around like nobody's business. I know the Ravel string quartets are powerful pieces of music as well.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
ha, you remind me of Sigue Sigue Sputnik who, i hear, sold the space to advertizers.
Theres a name I hadn't heard in a while....... and I was doing fine!!!!!!!! (>_<) By the way that would have been clever had they sold the rest to anyone else............

Attachments

• image-1885110657.jpg
    image-1885110657.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 38
  • image-1661198083.jpg
    image-1661198083.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 20
  • image-2971505696.jpg
    image-2971505696.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 49