Do you get emotional when listening to music?

fuzzbender

Former Member
if i wanted to paint a happy picture i'd use bright colours

yet why do bright colours make you happy?

from the same album as the downer that isn't, you get this uplifting ditty

highly recommend you listen to the whole thing

takes you through the whole gamut

teu tonic?

and radioactivity, what a great title

'radiation is emitted by unstable atomic nuclei as they attempt to become more stable'

J Hog

Tele-Holic
I STILL can't listen to Joni Mitchell or Tuck and Patti without breaking out in tears. Joni brcause My ex and EVERY girlfriend before her were Joni fans, as I am, and Tuck and Patti again memories of the ex. Other than that, "Ol' Shep" by Red Foley and other songs will make me tear up. I think that's one reason I play music. It CAN hit people emotionally.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
circa 1978, i was a huge fan of bruce springsteen. then many unhappy things happened. today, i will not listen to any of his music unless i'm drinking. i have to have an emotional cushion between me and that vibe. can't take it sober.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
In Chinese culture, white is a downer, associated with death.

One thing I teach my composition students is that if you want the listener attend a particular feature of a section of music, prepare and follow it by presenting the opposite feature. In expressive terms, to represent joy, precede it with dark and gloomy.

In a 1907 treatise, Sketch of a New Esthetic of Music, Ferruccio Busoni wrote that not all emotions can be expressed in music. I forget precisely what his examples were, but something like pride in one's child's accomplishments, satisfaction of completing a task, betrayal, etc.

The most tears I've shed over music was when there was none. At the end of the week that John Lennon was killed, I was watching an SNL type of show called Fridays. At the end of the show's fake news segment (exactly like SNL's), the actress playing the anchorwoman broke character and said a few words about the tragedy. Following this, was a black screen with the words to Imagine projected in white, scrolling down the screen in silence. I lost it.

fuzzbender

Former Member
fascinating.

codification/symbology: invented meaning or a musical equivalent?

off the top of my head, don't ask, i know Vermeer referred to Cesare Ripa's Iconologia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Allegory_of_Faith

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ocsQcOQLh5MC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Cesare+Ripa&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0DWyULahHqi6yAHYtoGgDg&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Cesare%20Ripa&f=false

juxtaposition of contrasting ideas to emphasize: beautiful.

reminds me of a surrealist ideal, "the chance encounter of an umbrella and a sewing machine on an operating table."

http://alangullette.com/lit/surreal/

mind you, certain elements of Beethoven's Pastoral spring to mind, for me, as at least bursting with pride, maybe, i dunno.

much to think on.

brilliant, thanks.

Last edited:

BigWillyInd

Tele-Afflicted
when i worked at a nursing home, i walked in on one of my patients hysterically crying. when i asked her what was wrong... she pointed to the TV that was playing one of those sarah mclaughlin abused pets commercials! yeah, its a sad commercial... but wow... you would've thought her kids just died or something...

as for music, i listen to it as an escape. music makes me feel better... its relaxing, or uplifting, or gives me energy. if it makes me cry... i don't think i'd listen to it. although i did get a little teary eyed at promise ring's last show in chicago...

I do the same when I that commercial already

Doctor of Teleocity
Steel Reserve + YouTube = bad idea

The sock puppets stay in the footlocker from now on, Argentina.

Telemarkman

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I never - NEVER - put on music unless I want to be moved in one way or another. And I never listen to it unless I can do so undisturbed.

I never buy or download music that doesn't move me.

Gautfrid

Banned
Joplin singing 'Me and Bobby McGee' pushes my buttons. It's raw...

There's others too, but mostly it's opera that opens the WP tear ducts.

cleanman

Tele-Holic
Music is emotion, love, anger, disappointment, loneliness, longing, hope rarely hate. How can you not get emotional when involved deeply in someones emotions? Especially if they remind you of your own. If I can't feel it, its not worth my time and if i'm fighting being touched by it then I'm wasting the music's time

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Music is emotion, love, anger, disappointment, loneliness, longing, hope rarely hate. How can you not get emotional when involved deeply in someones emotions? Especially if they remind you of your own. If I can't feel it, its not worth my time and if i'm fighting being touched by it then I'm wasting the music's time

Yes, absolutely! This is why disappointment drives so much of my music....apparently.. :(

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I don’t really associate music with events in my life strongly, like the ends/beginnings of relationships or deaths. Nor do many lyrics seem especially meaningful, although they can. However the beauty of music can have a profound effect on me. Sometimes I can literally feel one of BB’s big bends though my entire body. Or Where Steve Morse comes in for his solo on Rockin’ Guitars after Albert Lee, the tone, timing and pitch slay me every time I hear it.

fuzzbender

Former Member
music, sound, i find the most directly physical of the arts, vibration alone is something else

it has resonance

fuzzbender

Former Member
an artist may throw something out there and, understandably, not realize the effect it may have on a listener. interpretation is everything.

'stairway' is an interesting example. love it when you first hear it, eventually can't stand it anymore, find out it was lifted and loses all integrity, etc. etc.

it's a minefield investing emotion, yeah, i've been burnt.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I have an auditory processing disability, so unless someone sits down with me and slaps me in the face about what a song is about, I usually just hear the vocals as if it were another instrument. I hear the notes and phrasing but I rarely assign them meaning in themselves or think of what message they might convey. In my old band, I'd have played a song a thousand times and wouldn't have a clue as to what it was about. I'd be all happy about a song and the singer would tell me it was about a little kid getting stabbed in the gutter or something.

I have started singing over the past few years, and the memorization process does inform me of what a song is about. Can't say I get emotional about it though.

The music that does get me the most emotional would have to be classical.