Do you get emotional when listening to music?

ac15

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
I had a voice teacher who would ask me about a recent performance: Did you get all of it?" What he was asking was whether I sang to my potential or whether I didn't quite get there. Did I get everything out of me that was in there?

As time goes on I find myself getting emotional not just from music or sad things, but any art where the artist "got it all." And realized their vision 100%.

I find myself tearing up and saying " yes, he fuggin did it!"

The beauty of that is very powerful.

I get emotional from that.

joeford

Friend of Leo's
I've seen geezers that age tear up during yogurt commercials.

Throw in a dog or a kid (adult) that reminds them of their own ? Bring out the mops.

when i worked at a nursing home, i walked in on one of my patients hysterically crying. when i asked her what was wrong... she pointed to the TV that was playing one of those sarah mclaughlin abused pets commercials! yeah, its a sad commercial... but wow... you would've thought her kids just died or something...

as for music, i listen to it as an escape. music makes me feel better... its relaxing, or uplifting, or gives me energy. if it makes me cry... i don't think i'd listen to it. although i did get a little teary eyed at promise ring's last show in chicago...

LKB3rd

Friend of Leo's
For me that happens in a live show when an audience all together erupts after a particularly cool part. The entire place comes alive like magic. It's pretty amazing in my opinion.

fendertx

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes it can make me emotional, usually much more when it is spontaneous rather than me choosing the music. If I am not expect ting the song and it calls up a memory or emotion, it can be very moving. If I'm choosing the playlist I tend not to be effected as much.

Del Pickup

Poster Extraordinaire
Music to bring tears to my eyes -

Samuel Barber's 'Adagio for Strings'
Fleetwood Mac - Songbird
Mark Knopfler - Theme from Local Hero (Going Home)
Derek & the Dominos - Have You Ever Loved A Woman

Pure emotional moments in each of those records

Guitharley

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
Music IS powerful. Sometimes with the right song I can smell a certain perfume or recall a very vivid image..... quite often both Hoo-ah

BBill64

Tele-Afflicted
I had a voice teacher who would ask me about a recent performance: Did you get all of it?" What he was asking was whether I sang to my potential or whether I didn't quite get there. Did I get everything out of me that was in there?

As time goes on I find myself getting emotional not just from music or sad things, but any art where the artist "got it all." And realized their vision 100%.

I find myself tearing up and saying " yes, he fuggin did it!"

The beauty of that is very powerful.

I get emotional from that.

This is a great post, you put it just right.

Ricardo Moraes

Tele-Meister
I cannot listen to music and do anything else, like studying or eating. I am so sensitive to music that music is either the best or the worst sensory experience that I have. Music speaks to my heart and to my mind. In reality, my spiritual path had music as its leader. So, to answer your question: YES, I get emmotional when listening to music.

acoustic rob

Tele-Holic
"I cried over beautiful things knowing no beautiful thing lasts." -- Carl Sandburg

I'm with Carl. I get emotional all the time.

tlagosh

Tele-Meister
Happens all the time. Certain music more than others. Full disclosure : I'm a crier at movies, etc and so kind of sensitive to begin with. The emotions it brings are why I wanted to play music and perform.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Before answering, I'd like to pose a question(s). When you listen to a piece of music, in what way is it emotional: [ed. note. The way that I just posed this undoubtedly temps one to say "all of the above." It's more interesting for me if you don't make a blanket judgment.]

1. A piece of music conveys what the composer and performers were feeling. You are an observer to that, but not a participant, insofar as the emotions of the composer and performers don't change regardless of whether you heard the music or not.

2. A composer uses music to represent abstract emotions. A comedy piece of music is meant to be funny; a dirge is meant to be sad.

3. A composer uses music to stir emotions in you, the listener. In a piece of music, I can make you laugh, and seconds later make you feel very sad.

I am asking these questions in order to understand if, to you, music has properties associated with emotions. Or, am I, the composer, capable of feeling such strong emotions, that I can reveal those to the listener centuries after I am dead. Or, music at a certain tempo with certain accents sounds light-hearted and carefree, while at a slow tempo the music portrays death. As a composer, I am not conveying my understanding of death, nor am I trying to frighten you or make you feel like you are going to die. Rather, I am painting a picture, in sound, of death.

fuzzbender

Former Member
Before answering, I'd like to pose a question(s). When you listen to a piece of music, in what way is it emotional: [ed. note. The way that I just posed this undoubtedly temps one to say "all of the above." It's more interesting for me if you don't make a blanket judgment.]

1. A piece of music conveys what the composer and performers were feeling. You are an observer to that, but not a participant, insofar as the emotions of the composer and performers don't change regardless of whether you heard the music or not.

2. A composer uses music to represent abstract emotions. A comedy piece of music is meant to be funny; a dirge is meant to be sad.

3. A composer uses music to stir emotions in you, the listener. In a piece of music, I can make you laugh, and seconds later make you feel very sad.

I am asking these questions in order to understand if, to you, music has properties associated with emotions. Or, am I, the composer, capable of feeling such strong emotions, that I can reveal those to the listener centuries after I am dead. Or, music at a certain tempo with certain accents sounds light-hearted and carefree, while at a slow tempo the music portrays death. As a composer, I am not conveying my understanding of death, nor am I trying to frighten you or make you feel like you are going to die. Rather, I am painting a picture, in sound, of death.

Association

not pre or post

more indistinguishable

Justinvs

Poster Extraordinaire

That idea could apply to all creative arts when you think about it. Part of my 'job' as a fiction writer is to convey the emotions I want the reader to feel, not just imagery or words, but the anger or joy or fear that makes a scene potent. If I can't get those ideas across on a gut level, I haven't been effective.

With music I can never be sure I am experiencing the same emotions the performer wanted to get across, but I need to feel something for the song to hit me. But when it does, man it hits hard. I know it's not something a fifty-two year old, hard-bitten cowboy should admit to, but I tear up on a fairly regular basis when the music gets to me.

fuzzbender

Former Member
interesting, what's the difference between a wedding march and a funeral march?

is it musical or associative?

i dunno