Do you get captain beefheart ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Aug 4, 2019.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

For some reason i understand "kind of" where he is going. But Hendrix or Frank zappa left me stranded. I guess thats what they wanted, to make the listener think.

2. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Well i dont know michel but thsi never stopped me from doing an appreciation thread

3. 1954 Esquire

1954 Esquire TDPRI Member

Have to agree with you about ‘Clear Spot’. It was an album that came out around a special time in my life and remains one of my favorites.

Bendyha and Electric Warrior like this.
  4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Aside from a couple songs together and some production work and high school ?

I think Zappa and Beefheart have little in common.

I never think of them at all in the same category.

5. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

They both could have starred in a stage version of "Manos Hands of Fate".

Manual Slim likes this.
  6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I have always sort of associated Captain Beefheart with Frank Zappa and The Grateful Dead.

I really haven't followed any of the three, my entire life.

But I put them out there in that special place that doesn't really mean anything to me, but probably means a lot to somebody else.

(Somebody really ripping stoned on Quaaludes, that is.)

:oops:

johnny k likes this.
  7. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister

I respect the off the wall stuff, but would rather listen to Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot. Wish there was more live footage because the stuff I've seen from that era was awesome. That Magic Band was a tight unit.

8. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

I'm pretty good at listening to abrasive music.Not even gonna try...

9. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

We played Trout Mask Replica at our wedding. Just kidding, only a true sociopath would do that. o_O

Flaneur and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't spent much time listening to it but from what I have heard I don't get it.
    Some of the bluesier songs have moments but they just aren't quite there for me.

11. Modernelove

Modernelove TDPRI Member

I like Captain Beefheart. He’s avant-garde but still rootsy. Also I think he is really good at putting words together that sound cool. “Pachuco Cadaver” and “Doc at the Radar Station” hit the ear in a cool way.

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

No. I had a friend back in the '80s that went through a Captain Beefheart phase. Played it for months. I remember hating all of it. Truth be told though I haven't listened to any in over 30 years, so maybe I'd think of it differently now.

13. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman TDPRI Member

I'm a long time fan of the Captain, mainly his band. For sheer guitar virtuosity listen to Moonlight on Vermont or Veteran's Day Poppy from Trout mask. An earlier great tune is Kandy Korn from Mirror Man. The drumming is extraordinary especially on Kandy Korn.

For an analysis of a Beefheart tune by a classical composer see Pretty heavy stuff!

Digital Larry likes this.
  14. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Howlin Wolf. Beefheart really seized on the angry/scared/hurt/crazy persona of howlin wolf.

Everything in the beefheart catalog is explained by “smokestack lightening” or moanin at midnight

15. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Always remember a school friend’s comment on Beefheart: “it took me a year to get into Beefheart but it was worth it”

Me, I like a few things but not so much the stuff the is a real cacophony...

16. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For many with a Don problem, try listening to "Mallard", a post beefheart, mostly magic band, pair of albums that has many colourations of thier earlier work, but with a more accessable musicality than with Don.

Here two tracks for an taste;

Or here are the whole albums; Enjoy:D

17. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I associate Beefheart and Zappa because Beefheart and Zappa associated with each other, although their music wasn’t very similar. Zappa’s stuff was so organized and composed and tightly arranged. Beefheart’s might have been, but he sure didn’t want it to sound like it was. I don’t associate the Dead with either - nothing in common musically or culturally. The LA and San Francisco scenes may as well have been from different planets in those days. I REALLY liked Zappa, mostly liked Beefheart but it was kind of mood dependent.

But the Dead was a whole other thing - I always felt like a non-musical member of the Dead, which a lot of their audience felt, and they felt like that about their audience until the really late days when things were coming apart and the audience got really outta hand. The Dead was a jazz band that played rock, bluegrass, country, blues, folk, Cajun, a bit of Caribbean, and sometimes really out jazz. Going to see Zappa or Beefheart, you kind of knew what to expect. With the Dead, you kind of knew the broadest outlines of how they organized their show, but it could go anywhere on any given night. The Dead cooked up a musical stew - most nights the ingredients blended into a pretty tasty dish, some nights it was sooo good you never wanted to finish it, And some nights the flavors never really got to know each other and you’d chalk it up to a good try, but you’d hope for better the next night.

I saw Zappa a few times, Beefheart once, and the Dead, well, a whole lot more than that. I wasn’t one of those guys who dedicated summers to following them, but I caught them when they came around and traveled to see em (and to get together with friends and family, but all organized around a run of Dead shows) And I caught somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 shows over the years, from the time I was 18 until 36.

And I’ve never done Quaaludes in my life and never knew ANYone to do Quaaludes at a Dead show. I think you just had an image fixed in your mind about these bands that likely had nothing to do with the reality.

-Ray

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    stevemc and suave eddie like this.
  18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I sort of get it, but I just don't like any of it. I'm usually cool with musicians experimenting, but this just does nothing for me at all.

19. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I get Capt. Beefheart, I just don't like Capt. Beefheart.

20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Love all that sixties off-center stuff - Mothers, Beefheart, Holy Modal Rounders, Fuggs, Wild Man Fischer. I think the first tune I heard in that vein was "Suzy Creamcheese." Pure heaven.

The Dead and Pink Floyd started out strange but developed more mainstream sounds. Ten Years After and Country Joe and the Fish put some impressively weird stuff on vinyl but didn't perform it and it never got air play.

Once in a while since then folks have come along who know how to throw a musical curve - Uncle Vinty and Wesley Willis come to mind - but producers generally don't go out on those limbs anymore. Promoting an artist has just become too expensive for risk-taking, even with someone else's money.

Didn't have a stereo when I was a kid, so I never got to soak up as much of it as I would have liked, but it was always fun hanging around with friends who could throw something fun on the turntable.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.