1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Do You Ever Listen to a Song Repeatedly?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ChalmersCharles, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Throughout the day, I'll get a song stuck in my head & will later set it to repeat while I plug away at the groove for a while and then work on some leads to it.

Last night it was "She's Hot Like That" by Kenny V.

2. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Absolutely. Some songs hit me as perfect in every way. From early on when I thought a song was perfected I would play it over and over again.

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Ironically, I haven't even seen it, yet...just posted it for other's reference. o_O:twisted:o_O

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I do it too. I once got so obsessed with "Stella Blue", that I made 4 or 5 entire cds of the song, from sequential concerts, pilfered off archive.org. I must have listened to that song 200 times in a week. I still can't play it for beans.

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

doing it now..... trying to get a version of this I like.... every tab site and video has them in different keys...

I've heard Lou sing it in F, E, D and G..... I've copied all the versions/keys.... now just got to figure which one suits my voice....

I love this E version, sublime.....though he does a deep D very well too....

6. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

All the time, especially when I am trying to learn a new song.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I was down a couple months after Katrina hit, once I finally realized none of the names in my Rolodex would do me any good and no one's word was good down there anymore, I got Bobby Darin's Softly As I Leave You stuck on repeat in my brain. For days. Part of me was ready at that point to move on - I wish all of me was ready, sometimes.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My wife is complicent in this she some how thinks that if she plays the CD " You will never but any more music gear " over and over and over when we go to bed I'll get the hint ( I fool her I wear ear plugs, you got to protect your hearing you know!!!)

Rustbucket likes this.
  10. pcampbell

pcampbell Tele-Holic

It is very common for me to play and replay particular songs, sometimes as something of a short term obsession. I figured out at some point that it may not seem "normal" to many other people who aren't really musical, but it doesn't surprise me that others on this forum are the same way. I also often have tunes in my head, and it is common for me to pick up on songs playing in public places and almost spontaneously announce who did the song originally, who covered it, and what key it was recorded in -- useless information to most people, but oh well...

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Almost the only way I listen to music nowadays. The last few years I have been learning very old blues covers that I didn't grow up listening to, so not only am I trying to learn the nuances and timing, but the lyrics as well. I live a breath a song until I can nail it.

BTW, thank goodness for the "repeat song" on iPods.

12. srinivassa

srinivassa Tele-Meister

I never do this. I guess that makes me weird. I have to listen to complete albums. Even when I'm learning a set, I put all the set songs on a playlist and play them one after the next.

13. tubevibrato

tubevibrato Tele-Meister

Done the same with that song over the years! Also, LaBamba b/w Donna, I wore out the 45 in a night when I bought it in 1980.

14. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Back before iPods I used to do that with cassettes. I'd make mix tapes of just songs I wanted to learn.

15. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

In high school, I went through a stint listening to nothing but Gershwin's Rhapsody In Blue. There was a long time there that I'd get nauseous just hearing the opening clarinet riff.

16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One day I sat down and listened to every album ( yes it was a long time ago) by Jethro Tull, back to back both sides , then did the same thing for Pink Floyd from Pipers at the gates of Dawn to Wish You Were Here and Animals it took 2 complete days to accomplish . thats the closest I came .

17. Beatbx

Beatbx Tele-Meister

I've been binge-listening to Iggy's 'Post Pop Depression' for the last few weeks, twice through today.

mitchfinck likes this.
  18. phfobric

phfobric Former Member

I'm amazed at the number of peeps who share this "song-of-the-day" syndrome, and I figures it had to be just me. I'm at it's mercy sometimes; say if it's a Carpenters' song (actually good tunes.........1 or 2?). I'll just run the tune over and over in my "sensorium", not aware I'm doing it, and when it's good song, lucky! The one-hit Diesel's "Sausalito Summer Nights'" repeats. Someone mentioned Lou Reed. Yes, with him in my head, it's "Sweet Jane" including the killer intro "Live" (never without). Always a song being written, bouncing around "in here". I co-write with disembodied-guys, sometimes friends, more often than I care to admit. Got me out of a jam or two. Music is scary!!!! Won't turn you lose when you like....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  19. Shanewilliams

Shanewilliams TDPRI Member

The less I know the better by tame impala! If you love bee gees rock and roll listen to this track!

Beatbx likes this.
  20. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

For a while I was in a band with Keith, the drummer on that track - can't recall his surname. It was a '60s cover/tribute band called The Silver Searchers. "So what?" you may say, and, hey, you'd be right.

Meanwhile I only play the same song continually if I'm trying to learn the words, and these days I can normally look 'em up on line instead. But it can still help to nail the arrangement if necessary.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.