Do You Ever Just Look At Your Guitars?

Electric Warrior

Tele-Holic
All the time. I used to keep them in cases because I was worried about condition but I decided who cares but me? So they are now always out. It helps to have a small stable so they aren't filling every inch of the room.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I do. The “Bird Hate” thread made me realize I really like the look of each all my guitars, which includes a Silver Sky (I chose maple because the way the birds look). I think every time I play I’ll flip the guitar over and just admire the one I’m playing.

I like to look at my Guitars.
I thnk they are worth looking at. Mostly.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah sometimes I do- I made a bunch of furniture over the years and some guitars so I find when I look at them I'm reminded of when I made them and it gives me a chance to feel proud of myself. Its a good feeling. Heck I even find myself looking at amps and wondering about their lives before they came to me

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
I love Guitar - a Guitar is Art.
Mike Nesmith said that hundreds of years from now someone will see a Fender Logo and say "I know what that is."

I so regret being forced to liquidate so many treasures when I got trampled by the "Big Short Bubble" and I still look for them on-line regularly.

I managed to keep "Indonesia Red" and the 6120TM that got me to quit smoking
in 2005. I love them all very much.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
MWR Tele.jpeg

Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft strings, play on;
Not to the sensual ear, but, more endear’d,
Twang to the spirit ditties of no tone:
Fair youth, beneath the trees, thou canst not leave
Thy song, nor ever can those trees be bare;
Bold Lover, never, never canst thou kiss,
Though winning near the goal yet, do not grieve;
She cannot fade, though thou hast not thy bliss,
For ever wilt thou love, and she be fair!

Apologies to Keats...

Deathray

Friend of Leo's
Although I keep my guitars in cases when not playing them, I do love to get them out, and take in their beauty. They are as beautiful looking as they are sounding. I’m blessed to own them. They remind me why I keep abusing my poor old body, doing a job suited for younger men.
656D6C62-C595-435E-998A-CF2398F4B6B7.jpeg
A614604B-315F-41AB-8D32-86307946A260.jpeg
FB766F73-97A6-4159-9884-6CDB81A662E4.jpeg

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
I am a lucky man..... my wife loves guitars as much as I and we treat my collection as functional art around the house. About half of them are color coordinated with the decor. or have a "place" in specific rooms. Today a Peavey G bass just arrived, we had watched an old Video of Flea playing a Modulus, she said she wanted one, so I bought the Peavey ($2,000 less) Still an excellent pro level bass, but it was the Holoflake and big MM pickup that she wanted. She is trying to figure out where it goes now. :)

And yeah, I'm pretty good with spackle and touch up paint, things get moved often.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
As BB King once quipped when asked how many hours he practiced each day: I don't practice every day, sometimes I just walk into the room, cuss at the guitar and leave.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I do it all the time! Just gawk at ‘em. I didn’t used to. I went for so long just mostly playing whatever I could afford that got me through the job. I had good stuff, but it was all middle of the road priced, standard fare, regular stuff. Now that I have started to amass a modest collection of really nice stuff, I no longer look at them as just utilitarian tools, but things I really love and admire.

Don’t get me wrong, I still use them all as utilitarian tools. I can’t justify buying an instrument I don’t gig, no matter how much it costs. But now I really enjoy just admiring them too, and sometimes thinking “I can’t believe I have something that cool.” 15 year old me would pass clean out if he could see my stuff right now.

View attachment 938651

A small sampling.
I remember when I was 18 and would pose my two guitars and mandolin on the sofa for a photo because the light was just right and they looked so good. Today I couldn't even begin to fit everything on a sofa and my 18 year old self would completely freak out at what I have now.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I'm fortunate to live in an always-humid area, so I don't have to leave my guitars in their cases. They are always on their stands, ready for me to reach and grab and play.

They look nice enough. When I bought my Gretsch 5120, it absolutely HAD to be orange!

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I really had to think on why I'm not an obsessive gazer at my guitars?
I do have pretty extreme visual needs for them to look good, and for example find lots of NGD pics cringe worthy because I find certain looks very unattractive.
The mess of cheap import parts resulting in guitars with guards that don't quite fit right is a visual nightmare to me! OMG how can you stand that misfit assembly!!!

I would never start a thread asking what guard to choose, but I have a big stack of guards to be able to choose well, because looks are important.
So why after all the fiddling to get them just right, do I then not ogle them?
Maybe from working as a tech I've seen too many nekkid guitars to ogle every one?
Or maybe the bigger thing is that I probably have more art in the form of paintings and some sculpture displayed, plus my lifestyle/ hobbies/ disciplines/ skills list includes many other things that require things in the form of tools.
Whenever possible, I choose woodworking tools and even mechanics tools that I find beautiful.
I'm also a photographer if slacking these days, and have piles of photos and cameras, some of which are visually entertaining.
So I gotta lotta lookers, including my funny wife who is a painter and sometimes I go into her studio late and night to paw through her piles of paintings we don't have the room to hang all at the same time. Plus even her paintings she has given me, many she says are not to be hung in plain sight because she doesn't want to see them all the time.

Imagine being a Don Felder with Hotel California in constant play at home. Etc.
All that said, in the middle of the living room next to the TV and stereo is a vintage Marshall half stack, anointed as home decor because it's beautiful, iconic, has meaning, is historic, and generally as others have said is functional art.

My problem is I have too damn much art, and cannot even keep 20% on display at any given time. Bummer.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Here’s a little section of hard to see wall, three guitars I seldom play, and one of my wife’s old palettes she tossed. Basically rejects. But I like rejects! Among other things…
1EFF9ABE-27FB-4944-9E6E-0D2FA39EF72E.jpeg

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
YES!

When we were teenagers, before we could afford them, all you could do was stare at them through shop windows and in stores.

I have them lined up in the corner of my office, in eyesight, so I can stare at them through the day.

BTW, if my 15 year old self, could see my 50 year old self with 4 electric guitars, my 15 year old self would say "You have FOUR guitars? You MUST be a millionaire!" :)

IMG_3949.jpg