Do You Ever Just Look At Your Guitars?

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
1641839035574.png

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Hmmm, I like to love how they look but I really don't gaze upon my guitars.
In fact I hardly care how they look.
Aside from noting that one particular Strat slated for decommission and upgrade, I looked at it and noticed it's too damn pretty to dismantle.
All are assemblies of my own obsessive imagination and visuals are key, yet once they stop needing improvement (and they do), I stop ogling them.
This particular Strat is in addition to looking pretty, probably the only one of it's kind in existence.
Most of my main players are like that, far from stock and required a good amount of problem solving to get them to the current state of function.
But pretty is still pretty damn important!

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Is that an Epiphone Nighthawk? I used to own a Gibson that I wish I would not have sold, but wasn't aware Epiphone made one too.
Yup! The new Nancy Wilson is the same guitar as she’s well known for playing them. Different pups I believe. It’s a Fender scale Epi. I traded away Squier VM Thinline that was a Gibby scale Squier.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Oh yeah, my own guitars, my friends', books, annual vintage calendars; love gazing at them all. This all began as a young kid when I wrote Fender each year for their wall poster of all the models, I stared at those for hours. One book that I got for Xmas of 2020, 'Guitar, The World's Most Seductive Instrument' by David Schiller, is really the most beautiful collection of guitar photos I've ever seen. Of my own guitars, my previously owned Ric V64 360-12 was probably the most amazingly gorgeous art object, "a real looker!"

oyobass

Tele-Meister
It goes in phases for me. Recently, I can't stop looking at my David Gilmour tribute build, still in progress.
So far, about $140 into it, (with all new parts):
DG Homebrew1 adj.jpg
DG Homebrew2.jpg
Green Knobs.jpg

I can't stop looking at it, talking about it and playing it.

Not all parts are correct- I wanted a 22 fret neck and locking vintage tuners for practicalities' sake, but it plays like a dream.

Pickups are next, I didn't bother artificially aging them, since I'm getting a set of custom made Bootstraps built to exact Gilmour specs.

Knobs are brand new, aged with a super fine Sharpie to replicate oxidization and rubbed on a spare carpet tile to soften the sharp edges.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
Yes...since I can barely play them, looking is where it's at! They are mostly decorative here as I'm proud of being able to build them. (other than the cheap nylon acoustic in the photo that I've had since I was in college in the 1970s)
Is this one of your builds? Nice looking guitar!

43751144-7E6B-45DF-A970-50EFB59EF60E.jpeg

Dostradamas

Tele-Afflicted
I keep most out and close so not only can I gaze upon their wonder whenever I am near them but also ready to play anytime

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
I spend a lot of time looking at my guitar and basses, for me it's important thinking time - visualising playing, or considering the current setup. Can be almost as valuable as playing time - almost!

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I do. The “Bird Hate” thread made me realize I really like the look of each all my guitars, which includes a Silver Sky (I chose maple because the way the birds look). I think every time I play I’ll flip the guitar over and just admire the one I’m playing.

If I go to the trouble of opening one of the cases during the "furnace months", then I don't just look, but I do that as well. If it's my OM28 Marquis, I take a deep breath into the sound hole and let the bouquet of rosewood fill my nostrils. If' it's one of the electrics, there's not much point in checking out the aroma of nitro, but I do pick it up, marvel at the colours and the grain, then plug them in, and upon putting each one back in the case, I pause for one more gander.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
I do. The “Bird Hate” thread made me realize I really like the look of each all my guitars, which includes a Silver Sky (I chose maple because the way the birds look). I think every time I play I’ll flip the guitar over and just admire the one I’m playing.
Don't really look at 'em much. Just play 'em mostly. But mines don't have no pretty birds on the fretboard.

Back at it

Tele-Meister
I look them a lot when buying them but after I mostly just play them. I don’t really notice unless something is wrong or I’m changing strings etc

i do love looking a guitars as they are art in their own right but once I get the ones I like I don’t pay as much attention

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Is this one of your builds? Nice looking guitar!

View attachment 938715
Yes, my second build, actually. The tele-style to the right was number one. This one was number two. The one with the koa faces was number three and my Brotherhood Build for 2020. The bass was the most recent. There are build threads for all of them in the Tele Home Depot forum discussion area.